Specialized Power Arc Pro Elaston Saddle
Pro-series Power Arc saddles from Specialized represent a more specific design of the race-purposed Power models. You save a little weight, find more pure performance features like the stiffer, tuned FACT carbon fiber shell, and in the case of the Power Arc Pro Elaston Saddle, you also move to thinner, though highly technical, innovative and supremely effective Elaston padding with a variation in shell shape. Power Arc is favored by cyclists who fit the Power concept, prefer a little more of an arc'ed shell shape with more side extension, and want a direct and connected experience with their saddle when facing the most challenging rides over pavement and varied terrain. This model will truly favor the cyclist who craves more saddle contact, body-bike control AND comfort, making a great road option, but also applicable to gravel and XC mountain racing.
The aptly named Power Saddle line from Specialized represents the push for the best combination of power, efficiency and actual physical health and comfort while riding in an aggressive position. Yes, it is designed for forward hip rotation, such as what you'd find while riding in the drops, or simply having more overall drop from the saddle to the top of the bars. The shorter structure of the saddle is often referred to as "stub-nose" though not all short models truly fit that term. By removing the forward extension of the saddle, where few people actually truly ride much, the Power Arc Pro Elaston reduces the area forward of the main sit bone contact points, but adds a curve, or arc to the shell design for those who want more saddle contact overall.
The driving concept of the Power design can eliminate a friction zone, and it also has the effect of keeping the rider in-place more, to the physical location where an informed bike fit process would identify the best extension and fore-aft for an efficient and repeatable powerful pedaling action. Otherwise, the Power Arc Pro design has been shaped for this posture, with a proper width and central relief channel derived from the Body Geometry system. It is designed to reduce pressure on soft tissue and get sit bones placed and lifted in the proper width support zone to reduce pressure on soft tissue, as well as impingement of nerves and arteries.
As a race-level model that is still cost effective, the Power Arc Pro Elaston still features durable and strong round titanium rails- which also mitigate the effects of impact and road vibrations. Shape and features wise, the Power is very similar up and down the line. Here is where it becomes Pro- the much lighter weight and stiffer FACT carbon fiber shell. This is optimized in tuning for support and ride compliance, which would seem contradictory to the "stiffer" designation, but that is an essential aspect of what properly engineered carbon components can offer. Of course, the overall comfort effect is also dictated by the thinly applied Elaston foam, which is made using small beads that are expanded into foam which Specialized describes as “the feeling of sitting on 1,000 miniature pillows”, offering far, far more comfort, support and protection than you'd expect, even from their medium density Level 2 padding thickness.
Fit and your dominant riding position will determine if the Power Arc saddle concept is right for you. It is truly another great option for serious cyclists- you don't need to be a racer to be aggressive. Flexibility, mass, and essential variables in anatomy all factor it. Even when properly leveled, the Power Arc feels like it wants you to truly "sit-in" and propel your legs through the pedal spin. Yet, you can sit up when you need to and still feel supported and safe. It can take a little getting used to, and with the standard Power shell shape some people find they have to relearn how to control the bike while descending or cornering without pedaling- not realizing how much they use inner leg pressure to guide these processes, yet this is mitigated in the Power Arc, which gives you more contact surface down the inner thigh for greater inherent stability.
The Power shape was originally developed for women, but it was found to be effective for men as well. The key, of course, is ensuring you are on the proper width, as well finding the position comfortable for you. If you have already embraced the Power shape, yet want a sleek, yet truly comfortable model, the Power Arc Pro Elaston may well be your next saddle.
- Race-oriented and equipped saddle designed for actual comfort in a more aggressive riding postures for long hours on the bike thanks to it's with innovative foam padding system
- Excellent shorter (240mm long) saddle platform for pedal power and efficiency
- Slightly lifted tail/sloping sides for a cleaner path to pedals, the slight tail lift provides rear stability
- Arc, or curved shape offers an option for cyclists who prefer more contact area and saddle-bike control
- Patented Body Geometry design is lab-tested to ensure blood flow to sensitive arteries
- Ergonomically designed and scientifically tested to provide structural and anatomical support
- Tested to be effective for both men and women who ride semi-aggressive to aggressive positions
- Tough, lightweight, and water-resistant synthetic cover
- Stiff FACT carbon fiber shell is tuned for support and ride compliance
- Elaston foam provides unrivaled comfort and support on longer rides
- Level 2 padding: Medium density foam for bike feel with additional cushioning
- Lightweight, resilient and forgiving hollow 7x7mm round titanium rails
- 55mm of usable rail length (more than many such "stub-nose" saddle designs)
- SWAT™-compatible mounts molded into saddle base allow for sleek, integrated storage solutions
- Width options: 143mm, 155mm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 239 grams (actual, 143mm width), 241 grams (actual, 155mm)