Pro-series Power saddles from Specialized represent the true start of the race-purposed models. You save a little weight, find more pure performance features like the stiffer, tuned FACT carbon fiber shell, and in the case of the Power Pro Elaston Saddle, you also move to thinner, though highly technical, innovative and supremely effective Elaston padding. This model will truly favor the cyclist who craves minimalism AND comfort.
The aptly named Power Saddle line from Specialized represents the push for the best combination of power, efficiency and actual physical health and comfort while riding in an aggressive position. Yes, it is designed for forward hip rotation, such as what you'd find while riding in the drops, or simply having more overall drop from the saddle to the top of the bars. The shorter structure of the saddle is often referred to as "stub-nose" though not all short models truly fit that term. By removing the forward extension of the saddle, where few people actually truly ride much, the Power Pro Elaston reduces the area forward of the main sit bone contact points.
This can eliminate a friction zone, and it also has the effect of keeping the rider in-place more, to the physical location where an informed bike fit process would identify the best extension and fore-aft for an efficient and repeatable powerful pedaling action. Otherwise, the Power design has been shaped for this posture, with a proper width and central relief channel derived from the Body Geometry system. It is designed to reduce pressure on soft tissue and get sit bones placed and lifted in the proper width support zone to reduce pressure on soft tissue, as well as impingement of nerves and arteries.
As a race-level model that is still cost effective, the Power Elaston Pro still features durable and strong round titanium rails- which also mitigate the effects of impact and road vibrations. Shape and features wise, the Power is very similar up and down the line. Here is where it becomes Pro- the much lighter weight and stiffer FACT carbon fiber shell. This is optimized in tuning for support and ride compliance, which would seem contradictory to the "stiffer" designation, but that is an essential aspect of what properly engineered carbon components can offer. Of course, the overall comfort effect is also dictated by the thinly applied Elaston foam, which is made using small beads that are expanded into foam which Specialized describes as “the feeling of sitting on 1,000 miniature pillows”, offering far, far more comfort, support and protection than you'd expect from their Level 1 padding thickness scale.
Fit and your dominant riding position will determine if the Power saddle concept is right for you. It is truly another great option for serious cyclists- you don't need to be a racer to be aggressive. Flexibility, mass, and essential variables in anatomy all factor it. Even when properly leveled, the Power feels like it wants you to truly "sit-in" and propel your legs through the pedal spin. Yet, you can sit up when you need to and still feel supported and safe. It can take a little getting used to, and some people find they have to relearn how to control the bike while descending or cornering without pedaling- not realizing how much they use inner leg pressure to guide these processes, yet it happens naturally and quickly.
The Power shape was originally developed for women, but it was found to be effective for men as well. The key, of course, is ensuring you are on the proper width, as well finding the position comfortable for you. If you have already embraced the Power shape, yet want a sleek, yet truly comfortable model, the Power Pro Elaston may well be your next saddle.Return to Top
- Race-oriented and equipped saddle designed for actual comfort in a more aggressive riding postures for long hours on the bike thanks to it's with innovative foam padding system
- Excellent shorter (240mm long) saddle platform for pedal power and efficiency
- Slightly lifted tail/sloping sides for a cleaner path to pedals, the slight tail lift provides rear stability
- Patented Body Geometry design is lab-tested to ensure blood flow to sensitive arteries
- Ergonomically designed and scientifically tested to provide structural and anatomical support
- Tested to be effective for both men and women who ride semi-aggressive to aggressive positions
- Tough, lightweight, and water-resistant synthetic cover
- Stiff FACT carbon fiber shell is tuned for support and ride compliance
- Elaston foam provides unrivaled comfort and support on longer rides
- Level 1 padding: Lightest level of padding for the most direct connection to the bike
- Lightweight, resilient and forgiving hollow 7x7mm round titanium rails
- 55mm of usable rail length (more than many such "stub-nose" saddle designs)
- SWAT™-compatible mounts molded into saddle base allow for sleek, integrated storage solutions
- Width options: 143mm, 155mm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 226 grams (actual, 143mm width), 232 grams (actual, 155mm)