Romin EVO Pro Saddle with MIMIC
The Romin EVO Pro carries the oval carbon rails of the Pro-level Specialized saddle line-up. It is a race-level, lighter weight model for serious road enthusiasts who favor a more aggressive riding position. It would normally carry additional thin padding and gel inserts, but this is version optimized for women, with MIMIC innovation that can make the Pro-level more appealing. With a more standard road length and design for the road posture than the shorter Power saddle, the Romin-series with the MIMIC system may meet the needs of more women cyclists. So, what is MIMIC? While a very technical and interesting development story, the essence is that the Body Geometry team at Specialized wanted to understand why a true cutout channel did not relieve soft tissue pressure and/or discomfort to the extent originally believed. A more focused approach informed by crucial rider feedback and testing indicated that comfortable support that did not increase pressure was the proper direction. The result was a design and material combination to make numbness and pain disappear with a system that mimics the body’s response to different types of pressure to create equilibrium within soft tissue. New saddle features and relief shapes were integrated with new and existing platforms as the team applied innovative MIMIC technology, which uses a multi-layer system and various foam materials to maintain equilibrium and minimize swelling in soft tissue.
Which brings us back to the specifics of the Romin EVO Pro Saddle with MIMIC, equipped with FACT carbon fiber rails that add more stiffness in support of the shell, and reduce overall saddle weight. At first glance one can see that the open cutout of the standard Romin EVO design appears gone. Actually it is still there in the shell itself. The full length relief channel is there, but the key central soft tissue zone (essentially where the shell cutout is), is filled in and has smoother transitions all around, with a somewhat stepped transition forward towards the nose. The MIMIC materials applied in various configurations based on location and need, and visually Specialized is highlighting the zone in silver. At the rear of the saddle firmer foam and the shell provide sitbone support- lifting the bone structure to reduce pressure on arteries, nerves and soft tissue. The MIMIC zone starts in the shell cutout, with soft memory foam that delivers anatomical support to prevent soft tissue swelling. Moving out towards the nose, soft foam eliminates pressure. The overall effect is proper blood flow, with less harsh pressure points, and supportive equilibrium.
Of course, this system is also tied in with the saddle width concept used by Body Geometry, which ideally finds the general saddle width and shape that hits the sitbone widths of the rider. MIMIC is unlikely to be effective if a rider chooses say a 143mm saddle and actually needs a 155mm version. Specialized dealers have the means to assist you with this rather personal assessment, but when you are shopping online it can be more challenging. Understanding saddle widths, models, and shapes that have been better for you in the past can be very helpful in this regard. A saddle that is too narrow means the sitbones aren't being supported, and likely brings soft tissue into conflict over a larger area, while stressing the sitbones and pelvic floor. A saddle that is too wide can force the legs outward from the pelvis, impacting pressure, pedaling alignment and again, increasing certain pressure zones.
The Romin EVO Pro MIMIC is here in three widths 143mm, 155mm and 168mm. It features a carbon-reinforced shell with flexible Adaptive Edge technology that adapts to your body for a custom fit and combines with the MIMIC system to bring you all day comfort and support even with hard efforts and competitive juices flowing. The overall padding level is a moderate thickness, or in Specialized terms, a Level 2. The Romin EVO Pro Saddle with MIMIC is compatible with the SWAT saddle-mounted accessory system. If you have struggled with soft tissue discomfort and pain, the MIMIC system may very well offer significant relief. With so much variability in body type and human anatomy, no product can claim to be perfect for everyone, and a huge amount of time riding a bike of any kind involves direct saddle pressure. Finding the greatest level of comfort and performance in a saddle that mitigates the most possible tissue and structural discomfort is the goal of most cyclists. A Specialized Body Geometry Romin EVO saddle with MIMIC may just well be the right choice for you.Return to Top
- Race-level road saddle for riders who favor a more assertive to aggressive position, but need proper support, comfort, and Body Geometry features developed to maintain blood flow and proper alignment
- Optimized for the needs of women, properly sized MIMIC-equipped saddles can provide relief
- Design and execution that allows you to keep your position low and aero without sacrificing comfort
- Stiff, carbon-reinforced shell for longevity and all-day riding efficiency
- Innovative MIMIC technology uses multilayered materials to maintain equilibrium and minimize swelling in soft tissue
- Level 2 padding: Medium density foam for bike feel with additional cushioning
- Tough, lightweight, perforated, and water-resistant Micromatrix™ cover
- FACT carbon oval (7x9mm) rails add more overall platform stiffness, reduce weight, mitigate vibration
- Rails not compatible with side-loading seatpost heads designed for 7x7mm round rails, will work with most vertical style-clamps- follow all clamp torque specifications
- SWAT™-compatible mounts molded into the saddle base allow for sleek, integrated storage solutions
- Width options: 143mm, 155mm, 168mm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 184 grams (actual, 143mm), 186 grams (actual, 285mm), 194 grams (actual, 168mm)