These S-Works Aethos Dura-Ace complete bikes are frameset-up, Excel Sports builds, and while these may share some common items with a Specialized build, there are differences in some components and pricing. If you have any questions about these bikes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Sales team during business hours at 800.627.6664.
Our S-Works Dura-Ace R9270 complete bike has a build featuring the superb, partially wireless Dura-Ace Di2 and the package rolls on a Dura-Ace R9270 C36 Wheelset. The S-Works Aethos frame weighs just 585 grams and this build results in a sub 15lb build that is fully capable for all the requirements of road cycling, even racing. Of course you'd need to add some weight, as it sits below the UCI weight limit at 14.29 lbs as built. And although the S-Works Aethos carries a race geometry, it was engineered and developed to offer the apex cycling experience for the serious enthusiast who appreciates the ultimate in quality and design, with a ride quality and handling to match.
The story of the Aethos is pure Specialized. The achievement of the frameset design represents virtually all of the foundational principles of the company, except one. For one of the leading proponents of aerodynamic design for road cycling and racing, as exemplified by the Tarmac SL7, aerodynamics was never factored in to the development of the Aethos. The engineering problem of building the lightest, most exceptional riding road bike was incredibly appealing. Having solved unbelievably complicated problems with the SL7, they may not have anticipated new and more efficient applications of carbon fiber, or that as a result they'd discover a Continuous Curvature Design strategy. The end result of Aethos process pushed the most innovative team in cycling development to new heights.
The Aethos frame has been designed with the perfect combination of ultimate ride feel, light weight, and style. This was achieved by reinventing the traditional road tube shapes found on bikes of the past, subtly altering these visual shapes to deliver massive gains in stiffness and balance, all without affecting weight or durability. That visual story appears simple on some level, but it was the application of carbon technology and incredible engineering capabilities to find the stress loads, tube thicknesses, and how to best integrate all of the shapes and engineering requirements in ways you can't see to create the Aethos. This new process, with an entirely-new layup system tapped into the R&D system Specialized has perfected over multiple decades.
The creation and engineering story is ripe for a graduate course offering, so the discussion must turn on the possibilities and rationale of the rider experience. A featherweight frame is useless without confidence-inspiring ride characteristics, which is the team developed the Aethos to have the perfect balance of front and rear stiffness combined with exceptional overall ride quality. By studying the flexing and breathing of carbon fiber, the testers were able to discover groundbreaking findings about how forces flow through frames. With just a few firm pedal strokes you’ll realize this sublime ride sets a new standard. Every detail has been designed with style, weight, and durability in mind; everything required in pursuit for the perfect ride. The geometry is exceptionally close to that of the Tarmac SL7, with a few modifications that may add up to a subtle handling difference if you were comparing each bike built with the same exact kit.
The electronic shifting-only Aethos frameset is equipped with a 27.2mm round seatpost, the Roval Alpinist to be exact, which offers some engineered flex into the upper portion that adds to the frame compliance and weighs a scant 136 grams in the 300mm length. Not to worry, it (and the frameset) is rated for a rider weight up to 275lbs. The frame and fork can accommodate tires up to 32mm with 4mm of clearance on both sides. The fork steerer is round, accepting standard stem and bar set-ups. Every line, every junction just feels so economical and judicious in the use of materials. The subtleties are there, sometimes hidden by the amazing finish options, sometimes accentuated by them. The system is clean, simple. There isn't a single detail on the frame that has been overlooked.
This complete package features the awesome shifting prowess of Shimano's updated 12-speed Dura-Ace Di2 and improved hydraulic disc braking. The cockpit kit is all Specialized with carbon bar and Alpinist seatpost, while the wheels are the aforementioned Dura-Ace R9270 C36. Light, responsive, and stable in all winds and circumstances, the C36 is a great all-around wheel, aided by the superb feel and grip of the 28mm Vittoria Corsa G2.0 Tubeless tires.Return to Top
- Sub 15lb complete road bike with Dura-Ace Di2 R9270, Dura-Ace R9270 C36 wheelset
- Lightest production frame ever made, engineered for a singular road cycling experience
- S-Works Aethos FACT 12r Carbon frame, Rider First Engineered™, Electronic only, Flat Mount disc, 12/142mm thru-axle
- S-Works FACT Carbon fork, tapered, headset, Flat Mount disc,, 12/100mm thru-axle
- Road race geometry, and race capable, but developed for the serious enthusiast who desires the lightest weight and exceptional ride characteristics, cleanest aesthetics
- Continuous Curvature Design strategy developed tubes with subtle, elongated conical sections deliver the highest stiffness-to-weight ratio ever tested
- Max tire size: 700x32mm, requiring 4mm on either side
- Frameset requirements: BSC 68mm threaded bottom bracket, braze-on front derailleur (mount can be removed for 1x), Flat Mount calipers for 140-160mm rotors
- Rated for 275lb rider weight
- Thru-axles: CNC machined aluminum 12/100mm front, 12/42mm rear
- Groupset: Dura-Ace 12-speed Di2 R9270, R9250, R9200
- Di2 Levers: R9270 Dual Control Wireless Shift, Hydraulic Brake
- Di2 Derailleurs: R9250 Braze-on Front, R9250 Rear (features Di2 junction, charging port, D-Fly), works with 11-28T through 11-34T 12s road cassettes
- Di2 e-Tube: SD-300 wire system: FD/RD directly wired to BT-DN300 internal seatpost battery; Shifters are wireless with CR1632 batteries; USB cord for magnetic RD charging interface
- Crankset/BB: R9200 Hollowtech II 50-34T / BB-R9100 68mm threaded
- Cassette/Chain: R9200 11-34T 12s / CN-M8100 12s
- Brakeset: R9270 Hydraulic system with Flat Mount calipers, updated mineral oil bleed system; RT-MT900; Center Lock 160mm F, 140mm R disc rotors
- Wheelset: Dura-Ace WH-R9270-C36-TL Wheelset, HG12r; 36mm depth, 21mm IRW, 28mm ERW, Hooked clincher/tubeless interface
- Tires/Tubes: Vittoria Corsa G2.0 Tubeless; Black 700x28mm / Vittoria tubes
- Cockpit: Specialized
- Handlebar: S-Works Shallow Bend Carbon, 31.8mm clamp, 123mm drop, 75mm reach
- Stem: SL Alloy Stem, 31.8mm
- Seatpost: Roval Alpinist 27.2mm, 12mm SB
- Saddle: S-Works Power; carbon shell & carbon rail; 130mm width
- Tape: Fizik Vento Solocush Tacky 2.7mm Bar Tape Black
- Components by frame size (56, 58): Stem- 110mm|56-12°/58-6°, Bar- 42cm|56, 44cm|58, Crank 172.5mm|56, 175mm|58
- Sizes: 56cm, 58cm
- Color: Satin Carbon/Jet Fuel (56cm), Satin Oil Granite Over Metallic Deep Lake / White Sage (58cm
- Weight: 14.29 lbs (actual, as built)
|Top Tube Length||508mm||531mm||540mm||562mm||577mm||595mm|
|Head Tube Length||109mm||120mm||137mm||157mm||184mm||204mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||74mm||74mm||72mm||72mm||72mm||72mm|