Specialized S-Works Aethos Founders Edition Bicycle
As one of just 300 made, every S-Works Aethos Founders Edition Bicycle features a special paint system, and upgrades with several Founder's grade components that bring this Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 disc brake bike down to just over 13lbs. These special builds represent the pinnacle of Specialized's achievements, and while rare are meant to be ridden. The S-Works Aethos frame weighs just 585 grams and built here in the Founder's package the result is a build that is fully capable for all the requirements of rigorous road cycling, even racing- if you add some weight. Although the S-Works Aethos frameset carries a race geometry, it was engineered and developed to offer the apex cycling experience for the serious enthusiast who appreciates the ultimate in quality and design, with the cleanest aesthetic, an incredible finish, and wondrous ride quality.
The achievement of the frameset design represents virtually all of the foundational principles of the company, except one. For one of the leading proponents of aerodynamic design for road cycling and racing, as exemplified by the Tarmac SL7, aerodynamics was never factored in to the development of the Aethos. Having struck the perfect balance between light weight and aerodynamics for the SL7 race machine, the engineering problem of building the lightest, most exceptional riding road bike was incredibly appealing. Having solved unbelievably complicated problems with the SL7, they may not have anticipated new and more efficient applications of carbon fiber, or that as a result they'd discover a Continuous Curvature Design strategy.
The Aethos frame has been designed with the perfect combination of ultimate ride feel, light weight, and style. This was achieved by reinventing the traditional road tube shapes found on bikes of the past, subtly altering these visual shapes to deliver massive gains in stiffness and balance, all without affecting weight or durability. The application of carbon technology and incredible engineering capabilities determined the stress loads, tube thicknesses, and how to best integrate all of the shapes and engineering requirements in ways you can't see to create the Aethos. This new process, with an entirely-new layup system tapped into the R&D system Specialized has perfected over multiple decades to be the most innovative company in cycling.
A featherweight frame is useless without confidence-inspiring ride characteristics, which is the team developed the Aethos to have the perfect balance of front and rear stiffness combined with exceptional overall ride quality. By studying the flexing and breathing of carbon fiber, the testers were able to discover groundbreaking findings about how forces flow through frames. With just a few firm pedal strokes you’ll realize this sublime ride sets a new standard. Every detail has been designed with style, weight, and durability in mind, everything required in pursuit for the perfect ride. The geometry is exceptionally close to that of the Tarmac SL7, with a few modifications that may add up to a subtle handling difference if you were comparing each bike built with the same exact kit.
Each Founder's Edition frameset goes through one of the most meticulous painting processes Specialized has ever done. The limited-edition brushed liquid silver paint is extremely difficult to apply- and to ensure the utmost in quality, after each frame is painted, it is buffed by hand to achieve the brilliant brushed silver finish. This, and the focus of the overall upgrades demonstrate exclusivity and attentiveness to detail that you’re unlikely to find elsewhere.
The Dura-Ace Di2 Aethos build is equipped with the standard superlight 27.2mm round Roval Alpinist seatpost which offers some engineered flex into the upper portion that adds to the frame compliance. Upgrades include the Alpinist Carbon INtegrated Bar Stem, Founder's tires, saddle, and ultralight innertubes come together with a custom-finished CeramicSpeed bottom bracket. The frame and fork can accommodate tires up to 32mm with 4mm of clearance on both sides. The fork steerer is round, accepting standard stem and bar set-ups. Every line, every junction, just feels so economical and judicious in the use of materials. The subtleties are there, sometimes hidden by the amazing finish options, sometimes accentuated by them. Again, no real aero impact, as even the internal wiring set-up avoids headtube integration. Still, the system is clean, simple, and looks totally inline with the Aethos concept. It is an amazing frameset: stunning, brilliant, and eminently rideable, which is truly the best part.
This special complete package features the ruthlessly precise and immediate shifting prowess of Shimano's 11-speed Dura-Ace Di2, with hydraulic disc braking. Specialized and Roval supply the kit, of course, with the S-Works Founder's Power carbon rail/shell saddle. Roval delivers the Alpinist bar-stem, seatpost and stunning disc brake wheelset, which carry the special black 700x26 S-Works Turbo Cotton clincher tires. The build is finished with an off-brand, but in the family- Supacaz Super Sticky Kush bar tape. Factor in the unbelievable finish, and the overall effect and performance level is stunning, as only a Founder's Edition bike can be.
- 13.01 Founder's Edition complete road bike with Dura-Ace Di2 R9170, Roval Alpinist disc wheelset, other special Founder's Edition upgrades
- Lightest production frame ever made, engineered for a singular road cycling experience
- S-Works Aethos FACT 12r Carbon frame, Rider First Engineered™, Electronic only, Flat Mount disc interface, 12/142mm thru-axle
- S-Works FACT Carbon fork, tapered, headset, Flat Mount disc interface, 12/100mm thru-axle
- Road race geometry, and race capable, but developed for the serious enthusiast who desires the lightest weight and exceptional ride characteristics, cleanest aesthetics
- Perfect balance of front and rear stiffness combined with exceptional ride quality
- Continuous Curvature Design strategy developed tubes with subtle, elongated conical sections deliver the highest stiffness-to-weight ratio ever tested
- Max tire size: 700x32mm, with 4mm on either side
- Designed for standard equipment: 27.2mm round post, standard stem/steerer interface
- Package rated for 275lb rider weight Roval Alpinist Seatpost (12mm offset, 27.2mm x 300mm, 136 grams), machined 12/100mm, 12/42mm thru-axles
- Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 11spd: Dual Control levers, disc brake calipers, R9150 front/rear derailleurs, RT90 160mm FT/140mm RR disc rotors, R9100 Dual Powermeter Crankset 52-36T, CN901 chain, R9100 11-28 cassette, Founder's finish Ceramic Speed bottom bracket
- S-Works Founder's upgrades: Power Carbon Saddle, Turbo Cotton Black 320 TPI Clincher Tires, 700x26 w/Tubolito S-Tubo Road tubes; also Supacaz Super Sticky Kush Tape
- Roval kit: Alpinist Integrated Carbon Bar/Stem (255g) w/Integrated cycle computer mount, Alpinist 27.2/360 Seatpost- (142g) 12mm SB, Alpinist Wheelset- CL disc, clincher, 21mm IRW
- Component specifics by frame size
- 52cm Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm, Saddle width: 155mmm
- 54cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm, Saddle width: 143mmm
- Sizes: 52, 54 cm (Extremely limited Founder's Edition availability, contact us with questions)
- Color: Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Holographic
- Weight: 13.15 lbs (54cm)
|Top Tube Length||508mm||531mm||540mm||562mm||577mm||595mm|
|Head Tube Length||109mm||120mm||137mm||157mm||184mm||204mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||74mm||74mm||72mm||72mm||72mm||72mm|