Specialized S-Works Epic Frameset
The story of the Specialized S-Works Epic has been widely shared in the mountain bike community for well over a decade. It came to be a regular podium resident at cross country races from regional MTB orgs to World Cups. The controlled rear suspension of the rear BRAIN system allowed the Epic to perform like hardtail, yet be reactive to bump forces, large and small, affording the rider with a more forgiving ride on the rough stuff, while keeping the rear wheel tracking to the ground in all conditions, especially while climbing, which was a true advantage for climbing that also allowed for better control and safety while descending. There was a weight penalty for a full suspension system versus a hardtail, but the benefit gains across all terrain outweighed that cost.
Over the years the Epic has evolved, from lighter alloy frames to really light and stiffer carbon version. The BRAIN system itself, also evolved, usually in the internals is currently a collaboration between Specialized and RockShox. The second generation BRAIN system saw a revamp of the philosophy and application, with a position just behind the rear axle for more accurate and greater sensitivity to small and large bump impacts. Frame development, the use of thru-axles, new disc brake mounting standards and more compact calipers, tubeless tires, and changes in the requirements of an XC race bike at the highest levels all combined to improve the frameset overall. Rear travel went to 100mm, greater tire clearance was built in, and all of the evolution resulted in the 2021 S-Works Epic Frameset. The model increases rear-triangle stiffness for peerless power transfer, while the use of FACT 12m carbon, a dedicated layup and a full carbon shock link also make it the lightest full suspension frame Specialized has ever created, all while offering the most capable handling in an Epic yet.
As it has been re-engineered hand-in-hand with the new Epic, the latest BRAIN design resets the expectation for efficiency, employing a new race-tuned pedaling platform to ensure every watt possible is translated into forward motion, while handily soaking up momentum-killing chatter and big hits alike- all more smoothly than ever. Factor in geometry changes that reflect the nature of current' XC course requirements, riding styles- as well as more 29" tire capability, and the balance of the frame with a 100mm travel fork is perfect, and feels more capable overall. Perfectly matched to the frame's BRAIN system, the S-Works Epic frameset's Position-Sensitive BRAIN fork benefits from RockShox's latest SID Ultimate SL chassis for next-level steering stiffness that still manages to keep the gram count to a minimum.
Specialized developed Rider First Engineering to ensure each frame size had tube sizes, shapes and lay-ups were maximized for the size. The geometry was built around maintaining the stability required for an XC race bike, with a 67.5° headtube angle that allowed for better descending and quicker steering control. It's a tricky challenge but no team loves tricky challenges more than the R&D and testing group at Specialized, and the S-Works Epic maximizes the BRAIN systems, frame and engineering to achieve it. As for general features, all routing is internal, including the capability to run a dropper post, and fitments offer opportunity for wired, cabled or wireless shifting systems.
- Premium-level 29er XC race frameset with innovative, smart suspension system
- Frame: S-Works FACT 12m Carbon, Modern XC Race Geometry, Rider-First Engineered™, 73mm threaded BB, 12/148mm TA spacing, internal routing, 100mm travel
- Rear Shock: RockShox-Specialized BRAIN, Rx XC Tune, 5 Position Platform Adjust, Rebound Adjust, Integrated Extension, 265x52.5mm (13mm sag/ 25%)
- Fork: RockShox SID SL Ultimate BRAIN w/Top-Adjust damper, Debon Air, 15/110mm TA, 44mm offset, 100mm travel
- Headset: Cane Creek, 41.8/28.6/Flat IS52/40 w/AL Race Seal, Crown race
- Seatpost: S-Works FACT carbon, 10mm setback, 30.9mm w/Specialized Alloy, 34.9mm Clamp w/Ti bolt
- Frame features a 15-percent stiffer rear triangle in order to take full advantage of the BRAIN's new race-tuned pedaling platform
- Total of over 100 grams reduced from the previous generation S-works frame w/BRAIN mount
- Geometry is a more modern XC set-up, built around a 67.5° headtube angle
- More frame details
- Internal routing for all systems and options (except fork, and BRAIN line to shock), as well as for a dropper post
- Post Mount disc interface (160/180mm rotor min/max) / Replaceable rear derailleur hanger
- Clearances: Tire 2.4" (fork is rated at 60mm/2.35") / Chainring size min/max 28-38T
- Frame can be set-up with forks up to 120mm travel
- Seatpost length supplied by frame size: XS, S 350mm / M, L, XL 400mm
- Sizes: XS, Small, Medium, Large, XL
- Colors: Gloss Blush/Black, Satin Carbon/Gloss White Spectraflair
|S-Works Epic Frameset Geometry (w/100mm fork)|
|Size||Top Tube Length||Head Tube Length||Head Angle||Seat Angle||Standover||Stack||Reach||Trail|
|Top Tube Length||563mm||598mm||563mm||656mm|
|Head Tube Length||115mm||100mm||95mm||135mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||48mm||48mm||48mmmm||48mm|