Specialized Tarmac SL7 Comp Bicycle 2022
Building a competitive, truly efficient road bike that costs less than $5000 is no easy task, but with the incredible value and performance of SRAM's Rival eTap AXS/HRD groupset and the incredible competitive balance of weight, handling, aerodynamics and overall performance of the Specialized Tarmac SL7 frameset design in their FACT 10r carbon grade, the Tarmac SL7 Comp Bicycle delivers everything you need to compete or simply push every ride beyond limits.
In addition to thousands of hours of FEA engineering analysis, Specialized utilized their most advanced technologies and learned knowledge- such as their FreeFoil Shape Library to create an all-new, Rider-First Engineered™ frame in delivering a race bike that is truly without compromise. The days of making sacrifices between "aero" and "lightweight" bikes are over. While it ins't really wrong to suggest the Tarmac SL7 is a combination of the Venge and the SL6, it isn't actually true or that simple either.
Aero road has been a driving force behind Specialized's recent bike development and their design engineers have developed and tested many shapes and combinations to build their library of in-house resources. In their quest for tube shapes that deliver the fastest frame that the UCI rules allow, they took a page out of the Venge development book and utilized the FreeFoil Shape Library. Armed with a core book of optimized shapes, they turned to the Win Tunnel to plug these shapes into a modular test bike for more testing and validation. The result? A new Tarmac that’s the fastest they've tested- 45 seconds faster over 40km than the Tarmac SL6 (with Aerofly handlebar in test).
While aerodynamics were paramount to the Tarmac’s development, and to the development of all of Specialized race bikes, weight was the co-pilot on this optimal race bike journey. Previously “aero bikes” always compromised in the weight department, the more drag you reduced, the more weight you gained. With the new Tarmac, the design philosophy was to keep it at, or below, the UCI weight limit out of the box as a complete build, with no sacrifices to aerodynamics. Tools like isotopic FEA analysis, used in conjunction with the tubes shapes and some engineering wizardry by the best engineers in the industry, enabled Specialized to deliver a frame that weighs a mere 920 grams, consistently across sizes, without giving up a gram of aero, stiffness or ride quality while allowing for 700x32 tires. The primary ingredient in all this has been their FACT 10r Carbon, which was developed in house to provide a more cost effective combination of carbon fiber properties that are the foundation of the lay-up schedule and deliver the tubeset and junctions that make the SL7 design unique.
Finishing off the Tarmac SL7 frameset, the designers drew off their experience and proven systems of the Venge to apply simple integration to create a clean, fast cockpit that’s easy to live with. They've improved the routing for any configuration, mechanical shifting, traditional stems, round bars, etc., all while keeping its aerodynamic attributes. A BSC threaded bottom bracket system was integrated and found to test as well or better than other systems for stiffness and power transfer. The frame features a 12/142mm rear thru-axle and flat mount disc standard, which matches the SL7 FACT Carbon Fork, albeit with a 12/100mm set-up. The lightweight and upper-section compliant S-Works FACT Carbon Tarmac Seatpost is included, as is the Tarmac integrated 6° stem, with detailed spec determined by frame size.
Rival eTap AXS provides refined ergonomics and performance with wireless shifting in a 2x12 wide range drivetrain and road-specific hydraulic disc braking that cannot be challenged at this price point. The brakes control a wheelset featuring DT Swiss 470 TLR alloy rims and Specialized disc hubs while carrying Turbo Pro clincher tires in the 700x26 size.
For the cockpit the S-Works Tarmac Carbon Seatpost carries the Power Comp Saddle, while the Specialized Shallow Drop alloy handlebar with it's 125mm drop / 75mm reach mounts to the integrated -6 degree Tarmac stem. Supacaz Super Sticky Kush bar tape finishes off this truly capable and accessible complete bike.
- Incredible overall value in a road disc race bike with advanced aero efficiency, compliance and incredible riding dynamics, equipped with SRAM's 12s Rival eTap AXS/HRD groupset
- Ideal for developing racers and serious enthusiasts who simply love speed and performance
- Frame design and features of the S-Works, with FACT 10r carbon instead of 12r, with only 120 gram weight gain at much more approachable price point
- Rider First Engineering means specific requirements of each size were developed to ensure the same resulting rider experiences and characteristics in a 920 gram frame
- Proven Tarmac geometry and frameset development ensure incredible handling, control and stability
- Simple, fully integrated cable/wiring system for electronic/mechanical shift set-ups, hydraulic disc braking
- Max tire size: 700x32mm, with 4mm on either side
- Frameset requirements: BSC 68mm threaded bottom bracket, braze-on front derailleur, Flat Mount disc calipers for 140-160mm rotor use, 31.8mm handlebar
- Tarmac SL7 FACT 10r Carbon Frame, Rider First Engineered, Win Tunnel Engineered; 12/142mm TA
- Tarmac SL7 FACT Carbon Fork, tapered, specific headset assembly included; 12/100mm TA
- SRAM Rival eTap AXS HRD Groupset
- Rival eTap AXS, HRD Shift/Brake levers (SRAM's AXS app use BLE for management)
- Rival eTap AXS Front and Rear Derailleurs with eTap batteries and USB cable/charging dock
- Rival 12s 48/35 Crankset w/ DUB threaded BSC bottom bracket
- Rival XG-1250 10-36 XDR cassette w/ Rival 12s Flattop Chain
- Rival 1 Hydraulic Disc Brake Calipers, w/SRAM Paceline CL Rotors
- Wheelset and Tires
- DT Swiss R470 TLR Alloy Disc, 24h rims/Specialized XDR/CL Disc sealed bearing hubs; 20mm IRW, 24mm ERW, 23mm profile, machined alloy thru-axles
- Specialized Turbo Pro 60TPI clincher tires, BlackBelt protection, 700x26, with tubes
- Specialized Cockpit
- S-Works Tarmac Carbon Seatpost (2021 design) 20mm offset
- Shallow Drop Handlebar, 6061 alloy, 70mm reach x125mm drop, 31.8mm clamp
- Integrated Tarmac Stem 6°, 31.8mm
- Supacaz Super Sticky Kush Bar Tape
- Sizes | Included component spec by bike size
- 44cm | Post: 300mm | Bar: 36cm | Stem: 70mm | Crank: 165mm | Saddle width: 155mm
- 49cm | Post: 300mm | Bar: 38cm | Stem: 80mm | Crank: 165mm | Saddle width: 155mm
- 52cm | Post: 300mm | Bar: 40cm | Stem: 90mm | Crank: 170mm | Saddle width: 155mm
- 54cm | Post: 380mm | Bar: 42cm | Stem: 100mm | Crank: 172.5mm | Saddle width: 143mm
- 56cm | Post: 380mm | Bar: 42cm | Stem: 100mm | Crank: 172.5mm | Saddle width: 143mm
- 58cm | Post: 380mm | Bar: 44cm | Stem: 110mm | Crank: 175mm | Saddle width: 143mm
- 61cm | Post: 380mm | Bar: 44cm | Stem: 110mm | Crank: 175mm | Saddle width: 143mm
- Color: Teal Tint, Metallic White/Silver
- Weight: 18.4 lbs (54cm)
|Specialized Tarmac SL7|
|Top Tube Length||496mm||509mm||531mm||541mm||563mm||577mm||587mm||595mm|
|Head Tube Length||93mm||102mm||113mm||131mm||151mm||178mm||163mm||198mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||74mm||74mm||74mm||72mm||72mm||72mm||72mm||72mm|