SRAM took a unique path with their gravel-oriented component selection. By further unleashing the freedom and power of eTap AXS electronic shifting and their experience with wide ranging, durable Eagle mountain drivetrains, the R&D team simply added wide crank and 1x chainring options in the Red, Force, and Rival groups, created a new cassette (Force and Rival levels only) optimized for gravel gearing, then crafted an AXS Rear Derailleur for each group level that could handle the extra range and physical requirements from the fastest to most punishing gravel experiences available. The XPLR (read: explorer) line then just adds new overall capability without creating a dedicated group, so at all three price points, a similar set-up is available- plus the components are cross compatible. Unique and innovative- with a new way forward for component and system integration, as seen here through Red XPLR eTap AXS Rear Derailleur.
Chain retention and control is crucial with mountain and gravel oriented rear derailleurs and SRAM has brought their road Orbit patented and proven system that consists of a silicone fluid damper with a one-way valve that controls the rear derailleur cage’s counter-clockwise rotation. This prevents the lower derailleur pulley from moving forward when bumps in the road cause g-force spikes that pull the chain downward. The damped cage rotation keeps the drivetrain quiet and helps prevent the chain from derailing off the chainring.
The lightweight Orbit fluid damper is that it is speed sensitive, so the harsher the bump, the more resistance it applies to keep the chain under control. When the derailleur cage rotates counter-clockwise slowly, as it does during a downshift to an easier (larger) rear cog the damper offers so little resistance, it’s as if the damper isn’t there. This allows you to get the benefits of a mechanical friction-style clutch when you need it, without the excessive chain tension these clutch types provide when you don’t. It’s the best of both worlds. And it’s a maintenance-free design so you spend less time wrenching and more time riding.
The Red XPLR eTap AXS rear derailleur is a dedicated 1x12-specific unit designed for use with the XPLR 10-44T Force cassette; and is compatible with a 10-36 as well) as a Red-level is not offered. It makes for an uncluttered drivetrain that takes on pavement and singletrack with equal aplomb. Wireless and proven eTap shift logic, AXS connectivity and advanced chain management mean this derailleur does exactly what you want when you need it. The lightweight construction and material quality is truly Red-level, as the premium product in the line-up, with a higher quality aluminum body and cage, along with the lower friction of ceramic bearings. For those who simply want the best option available for their gravel rig, Red XPLR delivers.Return to Top
- Red-level rear derailleur optimized for X-Range wide gearing range and requirements of gravel riding
- 1x12 speed specific design for use with 10-44T XPLR and 10-36T cassettes
- Wireless electronic eTap shift logic for intuitive shifting, easy setup, and reliability
- SRAM AXS enabled with BLE to phone app, allowing easy personalization, battery monitoring, etc
- Shifting communication comes from SRAM's secure eTap AIREA system
- Aluminum body and mount arm are stiff, with composite body shell pieces that are resistant/durable
- Aluminum cage can handle the stress and strain of the range, deflect impacts
- Orbit fluid damper clutch system offers control when needed, eases the tension during harder shifts
- Chain management designs and features across the board keep the drivetrain quiet and secure
- Large X-SYNC shaped composite pulley for increased durability and efficiency
- Dependable, fast rolling durable pulley wheels are steel bearings for smooth long term use
- Compatible with existing eTap batteries / Battery NOT included
- Color: RED-series Black/Grey
- Weight: 293 grams