The most iconic mod-section all-around racing aero wheel of the last few decades has been the Zipp 404. Iterated, improved, and optimized through several generations, and of course now offering disc braking and tubeless tire use, it truly still at the head of the class, on on the course. The updated Zipp’s 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake wheelset is a go-to speed weapon for any situation. Its aero and crosswind-stable 58mm rim depth is ideal for road races, time trial and triathlon, gran fondos, and endless training over all types of terrain. This wheel features new Zipp cosmetics for that perfect pairing of speed and style. The 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake is infused with technologies, and now features the same rim mold and dimple system as the 404 NSW. Zipp’s ABLC™ Sawtooth™ Technology uses a complex dimpling pattern to improve aero efficiency. At the center of the 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake rear wheel is a versatile and durable hub, the German engineered ZR1 DB. If you had to choose just one wheel for road riding and racing, the 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake is a savvy and speedy choice.
The UD carbon fiber rim was developed with a hooked clincher/Tubeless Ready rim. The internal rim width is 23mm, and is combined with a shaped 28.02mm external rim width which is wider at about 35mm from the outer circumference of the rim. For late 2020/2021 wheel releases Zipp has updated the graphics package, and the new design has a sharp look with a subtle gray effect and matches the full 2021 component line. The Impress technique is still employed for great cosmetics without impacting the aerodynamics of the dimple patterning. This rear wheel comes with tubeless rim tape and a valve.
The smooth and fast rolling ZR1 disc brake hub carries an upgraded seal design that improves protection resulting in better bearing durability, without adding more drag. The freehub body features quicker, confident response with 66 points of engagement. The lightweight alloy disc hub is flanged for j-bend spokes, and Zipp is lacing it to the rim using Sapim CX Sprint stainless steel spokes. These spokes are easy to replace, hold high tension, and along with the rim construction offer some vibration damping and impact forgiveness.
No wheel company has put more research, development and testing into their aerodynamic wheels than Zipp. The speed is real, as is the overall rim quality and construction features that have made Zipp the wheel tot beat at countless races and events around the globe. The 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc Brake Rear Wheel represents the core of the line, the all-around weapon that delivers some of the best race-level performance available.Return to Top
- Mid-height aero road rear wheel ideal for competition, speed, control with disc braking and tubeless compatibility.
- Optimally run with 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc front wheel
- Zipp's proven aerodynamic rim shapes and surface technologies drive aero performance, stability and durability
- The aero 58mm deep rim is Tubeless Ready, features increased speed and better cornering, control, and comfort
- Rim spec: 23mm IRW, 28.02 ERW, 58mm profile depth, Clincher/Tubeless Ready (hooked)
- Rim mold used is the 404 NSW, features same shaping, width, dimple technology
- ABLC Sawtooth™ dimple design helps manage air flow around the rim, and contributes to create a faster, more stable wheel (upgrade over previous 404)
- 24 Sapim CX Sprint J-bend spokes lace 2x/2x Rear
- Low friction ZR1 DB hub engineered in Germany w/ better seal design, improved durability
- Freehub body features quicker, confident response with 66 points of engagement
- Center Lock disc rotor mount system
- Equipped with 12/142mm thru-axle end caps, tubeless tape & valve
- Features updated graphics, cosmetic identity for new 2020-21 product range
- Choose Front, Rear HG, Rear XDR
- Finish: UD fiber, Impress technology
- Weight: 710 grams Front / 905 rear (set-up for 12mm Thru Axle, bare)