Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Disc Rear Wheel
The majority of Zipp 808 rear wheels we have sold over the years have been to triathletes, with the time-trial crowd on the road favoring an aero disc rear with an 808 front, but with better stability and disc braking, we are starting to see more 808 front/rear combinations on the road as well. Zipp's 808-series wheels have always represented speed and efficiency, with each generation improving on the excellent performance of the previous. This 808 Firecrest Carbon Disc Rear wheel features an important upgrade, with the rim mold and ABLC Sawtooth dimple patterning from the 2019 version of the 808 NSW. This 82mm deep rim structure, widths and the dimple pattern is now used on the Firecrest wheels, improving aerodynamics and stability. This is a Tubeless Ready rim design and the front hub is set up for 12/142mm thru-axle use. With 24 spokes laced 2x/2x, the wheel stiffness is optimal for the cornering loads and to resist the forces of the hub-based Center Lock disc braking.
The UD carbon fiber rim was developed with a hooked clincher/tubeless ready rim. The internal rim width is 19mm, and is combined with a shaped 28.02mm external rim width which is wider at about 35mm from the outer circumference of the rim. For late 2020/2021 wheel releases Zipp has updated the graphics package, and the new design has a sharp look with a subtle gray effect and matches the full 2021 component line. The Impress technique is still employed for great cosmetics without impacting the aerodynamics of the dimple patterning. This rear wheel comes with tubeless rim tape and a valve.
Zipp is using a smooth and fast rolling ZR1 disc brake hub, made in Germany with an upgraded seal design that improves protection resulting in better bearing durability, without adding more drag. It features quicker, confident response with 66 points of engagement. The lightweight alloy disc hub is flanged for j-bend spokes, and Zipp is lacing it to the rim using Sapim CX Sprint stainless steel spokes. These spokes are easy to replace, hold high tension, and along with the rim construction offer some vibration damping and impact forgiveness, at least as much you can hope for with an 82mm deep rim and shorter spoke lengths, but this is something Zipp has optimized for each rim design over the years.
No wheel company has put more research, development and testing into their aerodynamic wheels than Zipp. The speed is real, as is the overall rim quality and construction features that have made Zipp the wheel at beat at countless triathlons and time trials around the world.
- Deep aero rear disc brake wheel for triathlon or road racing
- Perfectly paired with 808 rear or a full aero disc rear wheel
- Zipp's proven aerodynamic rim shapes and surface technologies drive aero performance
- The aero 82mm deep rim tubeless ready for increased speed and better cornering, control, and comfort
- Rim spec: 19mm IRW, 28.02 ERW, 82mm profile depth, Clincher/Tubeless Ready (hooked)
- Rim mold used is the 808 NSW, features same shaping, width, dimple technology
- ABLC Sawtooth™ dimple design helps manage air flow around the rim, and contributes to create a faster, more stable wheel (upgrade over previous 808)
- 24 Sapim CX Sprint J-bend spokes lace 2x/2x Front
- Low friction ZR1 DB hub engineered in Germany w/ better seal design, improved durability
- Freehub body features quicker, confident response with 66 points of engagement
- Center Lock disc rotor mount system
- Equipped with 12/142mm thru-axle end caps, tubeless tape & valve
- Features updated graphics, cosmetic identity for new 2020-21 product range
- Options: Shimano/SRAM 11 spd, SRAM XDR 12-speed (Campagnolo freehub sold only as replacement, not a full wheel option)
- Finish: UD fiber, Impress technology
- Weight: 1019 grams (set-up for 12mm TA, bare)