Zipp 808 NSW Carbon Disc Front Wheel
The 82mm deep 808 NSW Carbon Disc Front Wheel is an ideal aerodynamic option for rolling and flatter road race and triathlon courses. With the NSW you get greater speed, which you expect, but also better control and stability in crosswinds and while cornering. The current Tubeless Ready disc rim with it's sharp new graphics also has a new carbon lay-up for greater strength and surface requirements. The internal width is 19mm, with a max width of 28.02mm, so carrying tires from 23-30mm is feasible, and with a 25mm you can maximize the tire/wheel aerodynamic relationship carried through the ABLC Sawtooth™ rim dimple patterning, which carry out all the way to the outer edge of the rim. The advanced dimple design consists of 12 nodes that are precisely clocked to start aerodynamic shearing at a rate of 50hz at a rider speed of 20mph. Sawtooth accomplishes this by inducing small sheet vortices that shed at a low magnitude, but at a higher natural frequency, thus decreasing the laminar bubble effect on the aerodynamically shielded side of the rim’s profile to further reduce high yaw drag and improve crosswind stability while providing aerodynamic speed.
The front hub is the Zipp Cognition DB. The design is featured throughout the NSW line. This stout, lightweight alloy rear hub has been built with a star-flanged, straight-pull spoke type, disc brake hubshell that distributes the load placed on the hub flange away from the bearings in order to keep the Swiss steel bearings precisely in line with each other and the oversized alloy axle. This reduces friction and maintains pure rolling speed. Every watt of energy conserved or gained through design saves valuable seconds in performance terms.
Zipp laces 24 Sapim® CX-Ray lightly bladed, straight pull steel spokes in a 2x pattern via Sapim's SecureLock external nipples. With the spokes disappearing into the hub, the overall effect is visually and aerodynamically very clean. The hooked rim bed design is compatible with both Tubeless Ready and clincher tires can easily handle the high spoke tension required, and the wheel can easily be trued in the traditional fashion. The front wheel has the 12/100mm thru-axle end cap system, while the disc rotor mount is the simple, secure Center Lock spline design.
If pure speed and efficiency with control and stability on rolling and flat paved roads meets your needs, the 808 NSW Carbon Disc Front Wheel is impossible to beat. Pair it up with the rear 808 NSW for better all-around capability, of if time-trial or optimal tri courses are in your plans, then match it up with an full aerodynamic disc wheel like the Zipp Super 9 for supreme speed and fun.
- 82mm deep NSW carbon clincher front wheel with exceptional aerodynamic efficiency, unparalleled crosswind stability
- Developed using 42 different CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) concept studies and months in the wind tunnel
- Updated carbon lay-up and graphics for 2021 release
- ABLC Sawtooth™ Technology to reduce high yaw drag, improve crosswind stability
- Ideal for flat or rolling road race and any length triathlon road course, in wet or dry conditions
- Cognition Front Disc Hub optimized for stiffness; steel Swiss bearings, oversized alloy axle
- Center Lock disc rotor mount; includes lockring
- 24 Sapim CX-Ray lightly bladed, straight pull steel spokes and SecureLock nipples
- Laced 2x at high tension by hand in by Zipp technicians in Indianapolis, IN
- Rim widths: Internal 19mm, ERW width: 28.02mm max (at 35mm from the outer circumference), Profile depth 82mm, Hooked for clincher and Tubeless Ready use
- Optimal aero tire size is 25mm
- Includes 12/100mm TA end caps, tubeless tape & valve
- ImPress™ stealth printed graphics directly to rim surface
- Weight: 887 grams