Zipp 808 NSW Carbon Disc Rear Wheel
The 82mm deep 808 NSW Carbon Disc Rear Wheel is an ideal aerodynamic option for rolling and flatter road race and triathlon courses. With the NSW you get greater speed, which you expect, but also better control and stability in crosswinds and while cornering. The current Tubeless Ready disc rim with it's sharp new graphics also has a new carbon lay-up for greater strength and surface requirements. The internal width is 19mm, with a max width of 28.02mm, so carrying tires from 23-30mm is feasible, and with a 25mm you can maximize the tire/wheel aerodynamic relationship carried through the ABLC Sawtooth™ rim dimple patterning, which carry out all the way to the outer edge of the rim. The advanced dimple design consists of 12 nodes that are precisely clocked to start aerodynamic shearing at a rate of 50hz at a rider speed of 20mph. Sawtooth accomplishes this by inducing small sheet vortices that shed at a low magnitude, but at a higher natural frequency, thus decreasing the laminar bubble effect on the aerodynamically shielded side of the rim’s profile to further reduce high yaw drag and improve crosswind stability while providing aerodynamic speed.
The rear hub of the wheel is the Zipp Cognition DB, with the proven Axial Clutch engagement system. The design is featured throughout the NSW line. This stout, lightweight alloy rear hub has been built with a star-flanged, straight-pull spoke type, disc brake hubshell that distributes the load placed on the hub flange away from the bearings in order to keep the Swiss steel bearings precisely in line with each other and the oversized alloy axle. This reduces friction and maintains pure rolling speed. Every watt of energy conserved or gained through design saves valuable seconds in performance terms. Despite the truly stiff design, the real magic of the Cognition rear hub is in the new drive system. This Cognition Rear DB features the Axial Clutch™ system with 36 points of engagement controlled with magnets. The magnets move and engage the light weight Metal Injection Molded (MIM) ratchet rings for unmatched reliability and consistent operation. Every prior freehub design has lost a continual battle with coasting drag. The Axial Clutch system reduces drag by disengaging the ratchet mechanism when coasting. The magnets then re-engage once the rider starts pedaling again. The system is quiet, wonderfully efficient, and 100% reliable. The freehub itself is modular, with Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM XD Driver compatibility.
Zipp laces 24 Sapim® CX-Ray lightly bladed, straight pull steel spokes in a 2x pattern via Sapim's SecureLock external nipples. With the spokes disappearing into the hub, the overall effect is visually and aerodynamically very clean. The hooked rim bed design is compatible with both Tubeless Ready and clincher tires can easily handle the high spoke tension required, and the wheel can easily be trued in the traditional fashion. The rear wheel has the 12/142mm thru-axle end cap system, and is sold complete with a SRAM/Shimano 11s or SRAM XDR 12 freehub option. A Campagnolo freehub is sold as a replacement part only, not with a complete wheel.
If low hub drag, pure speed and efficiency with control and stability on rolling and flat paved roads meets your needs, the 808 NSW Carbon Disc Rear Wheel will be your best friend. Pair it up with the front and be prepared to fly.
- 82mm deep NSW carbon clincher rear wheel with exceptional aerodynamic efficiency, unparalleled crosswind stability Axial Clutch drive system
- Developed using 42 different CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) concept studies and months in the wind tunnel
- Updated carbon lay-up and graphics for 2021 release
- ABLC Sawtooth™ Technology to reduce high yaw drag, improve crosswind stability
- Ideal for flat or rolling road race and any length triathlon road course, in wet or dry conditions
- Cognition Rear Disc Hub optimized for stiffness; steel Swiss bearings, oversized alloy axle
- Center Lock disc rotor mount; includes lockring
- Axial Clutch™ system has 36 point engagement MIM rings controlled by magnets
- Clutch disengages while coasting, minimizing drag, magnets re-engage at pedal force
- 24 Sapim CX-Ray lightly bladed, straight pull steel spokes and SecureLock nipples
- Laced 2x and built at high tension by hand in Indianapolis, IN
- Rim widths: Internal 19mm, ERW width: 28.02mm max (at 35mm from the outer circumference), Profile depth 82mm, Hooked for clincher and Tubeless Ready use
- Optimal aero tire size is 25mm
- Includes 12/142mm TA end caps, tubeless tape & valve
- ImPress™ stealth printed graphics directly to rim surface
- Freehub versions: SRAM/Shimano 11s, SRAM XDR 12s, (Campagnolo freehub body sold separately- not sold with a complete wheel
- Weight: 983 grams