Pearl Izumi PRO Softshell WxB Shoe Cover
Pearl Izumi dominates the cycling accessory market for several reasons. First, high grade materials. Second, cycling specific design and function. Third, value for performance level. The PRO Softshell WxB Shoe Cover, designed for road shoes, retails just under $100, but by tech and performance, it could easily cost 50% more and you wouldn't blink. This insulated shoe cover is waterproof to the extent that the material can block wind and water, but of course does have a cleat opening on the bottom and an ankle closure. The material also breathes, but insulation and heat retention are paramount. Pearl uses two layers of their Barrier WxB, high stretch fabric, with a layer of thin 100g Primaloft® One insulation to maximize protection while ensuring warmth in the coldest temperatures.
From a construction perspective, the PRO Softshell WxB Shoe Cover is panelized for the ideal combination of fit and function. The Barrier WxB fabric is a multi-way stretch, but works best in longer cuts, so the panels follow the shape of the foot, then from the ankle up. This allows considerable freedom in range of movement during pedaling action, but keeps the fit snug and fully aligned with the shoe. All seams are taped internally for true waterproof performance. Despite the three layers of material, the cover is actually very flexible, doesn't feel bulky, and is reasonably light.
The new ankle cuff design is more of a full-overwrap design, as apposed to being a simple closure, and delivers and effective gasket around the ankle without feeling too tight, or restricting blood flow. Pearl employs a new two-stage MK2 hook and loop system that provides incredible retention and is more flexible than the previous version. The base of the shoe cover is Kevlar®, for maximum durability when walking. The cleat opening is perfectly shaped and sized for triangular and rectangular (Speedplay) road cleats. The heel area opens up when the closure is fully open to make getting the cover and off as easy as possible. This is crucial after a winter ride and all you want to do is get your gear off and get inside.
Pearl finishes with the standard high visibility reflective elements all around, and offsets the black color fabric with a bright yellow panel that stands out in the daytime as well. Extra protection around the toe preserves the material long-term, which helps maintain value over time. Pearl Izumi knows cycling and the PRO Softshell WxB Shoe Cover is one of the best shoe covers that the company has ever offered. If you need incredible warmth and protection from the elements during serious winter training sessions, you will not find a better product, at any price.
- Insulated, waterproof shoe cover designed for road cycling in extreme conditions
- PRO Barrier WxB 2–Layer stretch fabric for superior waterproof, breathable protection
- 100g Primaloft® One insulation provides optimal warmth without bulk
- Anatomic paneling for a performance fit, waterproof with fully taped internal seams
- Updated two-stage MK2 hook and loop closure provides both sleek fit, easy on/off
- Kevlar® road bottom spreads open for easy access and superior durability
- For road shoes with external cleats
- Reflective elements for low–light visibility
- Materials: 53% polyester, 25% nylon, 18% polyurethane, 1% Cordura® nylon, 1% Kevlar® aramid, 1% elastane
- Color: Black/Yellow
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, XL