Aspero Apex 1 Bicycle 2022
Note: Component Specifications are subject to change due to supply chain challenges.
The Cervelo Aspero Apex 1 Bicycle is the model you want if price, a 1x drivetrain, and mechanical simplicity is what you crave. You get the same grade carbon frame and fork of the other standard Aspero bikes, but at a fantastic price point equipped with SRAM's Apex 1 HRD groupset. Fast, capable, fun, and more like a road bike than any gravel option we have seen to date, the Aspero will surely deliver for those who love to go out and rip it up. This is a gravel bike for hard single day efforts in training or racing modes, or outfitting with a 650b wheelset for fast bikepacking.
The Aspero design has been engineered from the frame up for the race gravel concept for which it was conceived but you will see the R3's Squoval.Max tubeset shapes in the Aspero, along with details from the C, S, and P series models. Aero inspiration has always a driving force for Cervelo, and the toptube shares the shape and a hidden 2-bolt SmartPak bag mount of the P5 that is compatible with several aero and storage bags available today. The internal reference design points exemplify elements of Cervelo's best engineering to date, and all serve the gravel race concept: fit, speed, balance, handling, and set-up flexibility.
One major goal of the Aspero design process was to provide the clearance necessary for 650b x 51mm tires, or 700c x 43mm tires with at least 4mm on either side to spare. This was accomplished in a few key ways. The fork legs have a new carbon lay-up and shaping from the large 12mm thru-axle dropout on up, with an integrated crown that isn't as vertically thick as you'd expect, yet still inherently strong and gravel ready with great rounded tire clearance. Cervelo also was able to maintain a standard front-center measurement, by elongating the top tube, maintaining a road-style seattube angle, and proper trail via an adjustable front dropout design. More on that in a minute. The center of gravity is moved rearwards, as the headtube angles are more gravel/cyclocross than road. The 56cm toptube of the Aspero is 9mm longer than the 56cm R-Series. The headtube itself was kept essentially at R road lengths per size, which along with the impressive fork design and integrated headset means that the forward cockpit position feels more like a road bike- your saddle drop to bar can be more like your road fit. At the rear triangle, a 420mm chainstay length was achieved with the familiar dropped chainstay design, and a seat-tube cut-out.
The engineers were particularly focused on making sure the Aspero handled properly regardless of wheel and tire size. The concept of fork "Trail" is best known in the mountain bike world, but is relevant across all cycling. Cervelo is using what they call their Trail Mixer system to allow the rider to keep effective Trail at 62mm. Larger variations in tire size effect the rearward position of the tire- affecting handling and toe-overlap clearance. By using off center, bolt-in 12mm thru-axle drop outs, the rider can select the +5 forward position or the -5 rear position of the axle. With a 700x42 gravel tire set-up, similar to the stock Aspero GRX 600 model, the +5mm forward is the proper position for best active handling and nimble bike control, which is what faster, race-oriented users want on more technical surfaces. If you moved it to the -5mm rearward position, it would slow the handling down, perhaps better for long, flat rides on firmer, smoother, less technical surfaces. Cervelo has a more complete explanation of the mechanically simple Trail Mixer system on their website.
The use of the modified Squoval.Max tubeset is clear with the Aspero featuring a substantially larger downtube and massive bottom bracket junction over the R3. The integrated fork crown and downtube design resembles the Dropped Downtube of the aero bikes but it is functional for strength and visual balance from the tapered headtube through the downtube. The seattube features a squared back, cut-out design, but carries a 27.2mm round seatpost, for more vertical compliance and compatible aftermarket options. The dropped, oversized chainstays, slightly curved, shaped aero seatstays, rear dropouts and Flat Mount disc interface are all stouter for increased strength and torsional stiffness. A modified Future Proof cable guide/internal routing system has options for a cabled or hydraulic dropper seatpost, and a bolt-on downtube protector handles the debris coming off the front wheel.
Alongside the Apex 1x11 HRD groupset, Cervelo builds out a comparable package. The shallow, wide, tubeless ready 700c Alexrims Boondock Wheelset is strong, resilient and ideal for wider tires. 700x38 Panaracer Gravel King SK Sport tires keep you in control on the ground, while the Easton cockpit rounds out your riding position on this incredible value for complete gravel race-type bike.Return to Top
- Wonderfully capable carbon gravel race-type bike w/ SRAM Apex 1x11-speed, hydraulic disc brakes
- Lower, more stable road-like feel from overall geometry, chainstay length, BB drop
- Longer toptube moves COG back; low forward position; 62mm optimal Trail
- Accepts 700c x 43mm tires / 650b x 51mm tires; minimum 4mm side clearance
- Trail Mixer fork dropouts can be switched for +/- 5mm selectable fork offset
- Basic Rule (For 700c): Small(OD)= -5, Big(OD)= +5
- Forward position=decreased trail=faster handling
- Rearward position=increased trail=slower handling
- Trail Mixer design maintains BB drop, effective headtube angle in any setting
- Fork: Full carbon tapered model designed for Aspero, with thru-axle, Flat Mount disc, Trail Mixer
- Headset: FSA IS2 1⅛ x 1½" headset
- Fork features aero integration to downtube with larger, stouter crown design
- Frameset: Aspero Carbon w/ large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, round seatpost, larger volume tires contribute to rider comfort
- Squoval.Max tube designs, enlarged and enhanced for rough surfaces
- Internal routing, downtube hose guide; option for cabled/hydraulic dropper post
- Frameset 1x/2x compatible, with mechanical or electronic shifting systems
- Bolt-on downtube frame protector; 2-bolt toptube bag mount
- Thru-Axles: Cervelo Indexed w/ Lever, 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Groupset: SRAM APEX HRD 1x11
- Apex HRD 1x11 Shift Brake Lever set
- Rear Derailleur: Apex 1
- Crankset/BB: Apex 1 w/40T ring (GXP stepped 22/24mm crank spindle), Cervelo JY-BB 22/24
- Cassette: SRAM PG-1130, 11 spd, 11-42T
- Brakeset: Apex Flat Mount HRD disc calipers with 160mm Centerline 6B rotors
- Wheelset: Alexrims Boondocks 7D TL (28/28h) w/ 24mm internal width, 6-bolt disc rotor mount
- Tires: Panaracer Gravel King SK Sport 60tpi 700x38
- Cockpit: Easton EA50 AX handlebar, EA50 stem, EA50 Alloy 27.2mm round seatpost
- Saddle: Cervelo Road
- Accessory: Smartpak 400A Top Tube Storage Bag
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 70mm, Crank length: 165mm
- 51cm Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 80mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 58cm/61cm Bar width: 44-c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 175mm
- Sizes: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm (48, 51, 54 come with Zero offset seatpost)
- Colors: Purple Sunset
- Weight: 21.41 lbs (54cm)
|Top Tube Length||512mm||532mm||553mm||575mm||591mm||608mm|
|Head Tube Length||83mm||107mm||133mm||159mm||188mm||314mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||78.5mm||78.5mm||76mm||76mm||73.5mm||73.5mm|