Cervelo has come to believe that the pure road cycling world is evolving, and while there will always be a true race bike that is super light, fast, and quick-handling, the modern road bike requires capability for larger tires, more stability- but moderately fast handling, and power transfer efficiency expected of a race bike. This Caledonia modern road bike shrugs at notorious urban roads, cobbles, chip seal, and floats over the smoothest pavement. Add in SRAM's 12-speed Rival eTap AXS wireless shift / hydraulic disc groupset with a strong build kit, and the complete package is spot on- but it starts with the frameset.
The Caledonia design is an exemplar of Cervelo's understanding that fast handling isn’t always better, and the how the company is evolving toward bike designs with handling and overall development informed by specific needs. The inspiration was the multi-surface Paris-Roubaix, the Spring Classic that is harder on bikes than any other race on the calendar, with zero margin for error. After drawing from some specific history with the team-only, Roubaix-winning R3 Mud, and the R3 the teams used in 2019, the engineers increased the rear center, lowered the BB, and increased the trail while adding tire volume space and better rough surface deflection. Relatively speaking the handling is still fast enough to be corner and descent-friendly but with added rougher surface stability.
The creation of the Caledonia began with this recognition of modern road cycling and a sense of where it is going. This is a pure endurance race bike, unlike the previous C-Series endurance options, which were great bikes with more relaxed geometry, and greater comfort. Caledonia is race-bred, with much more surface versatility than a Grand Tour ready design. With capacity for 34mm tires (31mm with fenders), the more stable handling, disc-only frameset has different overall geometry numbers but Stack and Reach the same as an R-Series. The frame design and cockpit set-up allow for most cyclists a reasonable fit, and unlike with the R5/R3 geometry differences, both Caledonia frame-level options share the same geometry. Much was learned from the years R-Series development and combined with the knowledge gained from the Aspero design process, the engineers found a great balance of speed, comfort, clearance and handling while maintaining the aesthetic cleanliness Cervelo's riders demand. That cleanliness is far from just aesthetic- you know it’s going to be fast because there’s nothing interrupting the flow of air over the front end.
There are differences between the Caledonia and it's 5-level sibling. the Some cyclists considering a Caledonia model might strongly appreciate that this frame has a standard round tapered steerer tube and wire/housing routing instead of the 5-level's fully integrated, proprietary system. Any normal bar, stem, or round 27.2mm seatpost can be used. You aren't sacrificing tire clearance, fender/accessory mounts, or ride quality. There are some carbon and construction changes as a result, and the standard Caledonia frame is 95 grams heavier, but the cost, simplicity and features are your choice to make. The evolved geometry and handling numbers for a more stable, sure-handling ride over long hours of multi-surface riding are here. The proper carbon lay-up for deflection, control, and compliance is just as well balanced. Cervelo measures the stiffness ratings of both framesets as the same at 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg.
The Caledonia has internal routing through the downtube and access plates for wires, cables, housing and hydraulic hose, and can be built as a 1x or 2x mechanical or electronic drivetrain. The front derailleur tab can be removed for a clean look with a 1x set-up. The full carbon tapered Caledonia specific fork features internal hydraulic hose routing, Flat Mount set-up for disc calipers, and a 12/100mm thru-axle interface. Integrated fender mounts make for a clean install and you can run up to a 700x31mm tire with fenders - front and rear. The frameset comes with an IS-2 headset, and uses a 27.2mm round seatpost. The rear dropout is for a 12/142mm thru-axle. Cervelo supplies their lever action, Indexed Thru-Axles front and rear.
SRAM's ergonomic 12-speed Rival AXS features the advanced eTap wireless shifting system with AXS BLE capability for simple management and battery monitoring via the SRAM AXS app. With innovative gearing from the 48/35T crankset matched up with a 10-36T cassette, and the clean aesthetics of zero wires, Rival AXS inspires confidence in range and speed with efficiency at a great price. The Rival HRD hydraulic disc brakes offer effective power and control at any speed, in any weather situation. Add in the Cervelo cockpit components and a DT Swiss E1850 23 Spline wheelset and you have a special modern road bike optimal for all around riding.Return to Top
- Modern road race-level bike with new geometry, increased tire clearance, quick but stable handling and tuned ride and stiffness for serious endurance events and training sessions
- SRAM Rival AXS 12s eTap wireless shift/ HRD hydraulic disc brake groupset
- Aero integration of stem, headtube, steerer, but more easily adaptable for range of fit requirements
- Frameset stiffness rating: 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg
- Various grades of UD carbon used in Caledonia to save weight, add performance
- Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials ensure resilience, compliance
- Proper blend of Squoval.Max and aero tube designs, matched to function/use of Caledonia 5
- Full carbon tapered Caledonia fork (w/headset), thru-axle dropout, Flat Mount disc
- Frame/fork accept 700x34mm tires, 700x31mm use w/ fenders on integrated frame/fork mounts
- Fork features standard tapered integration to downtube with larger, stouter crown design
- Round steerer works with standard headset, spacers, and stems for easy set-up and convenience
- Large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, stay design, carbon seatpost, larger volume tires all contribute to compliance
- Internal, integrated wire/cable/hose options for 1x, 2x drivetrains (w/ removable FD mount)
- Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles w/ Lever: 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Groupset: Rival AXS 12-speed eTap Levers, eTap FD/RD (with batteries), Rival 12s Crankset 48/35T, SRAM DUB BBright BB, XG-1250 10-36T Cassette, Rival Flattop 12s chain
- HRD hydraulic disc braking, Flat Mount calipers, SRAM CenterLine 160mm
- Wheelset: DT Swiss E1850 23 Spline, 24h (F/R), 20mm Internal Width, Center-Lock disc, TLR
- Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro V Folding G2.0 700x30c w/tubes
- Cervelo cockpit: Alloy handlebar, Alloy stem, Alloy 27.2 seatpost
- Cervelo Road Saddle
- Cervelo Accessories: Faceplate Front Comp/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount, Removable Fender Mounts
- Note: Component specifications are subject to change without notice due to supply chain challenges
- Component specifics by frame size:
- 48cm Bar: 38c-c, Stem: 80mm, Crank: 165mm
- 51cm Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm
- 58cm/61cm Bar: 44-c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm
- Sizes: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm (48, 51 have Zero offset seatpost)
- Color: Gloss Black, Oasis
- Weight: 19.61 lbs (54cm)
|Top Tube Length||502mm||522mm||543mm||565mm||581mm||598mm|
|Head Tube Length||89.5mm||109.9mm||136mm||162.3mm||191.2mm||217.5mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||76.5mm||76.5mm||74mm||74mm||71.5mm||71.5mm|