The Cross King started as the X-King, a fast but somewhat aggressive mountain bike tire that flew over medium pack, dry ground, while holding it's own on almost everything else when needed. Continental updated in 2019, as it became the Cross King, and also offered it in the more price point oriented Performance Line, featuring PureGrip rubber, ShieldWall protection but the same 3-ply 180 casing concept of the top-end ProTection line.
The Revolution tubeless bead was modified as was the mold of the tire, creating a wider "mouth" to the tire, with the two changes resulting in and easier tubeless mounting and faster, more effective seal. The end result is a modest weight, reasonably flexible tire with improved grip, traction, and overall performance that includes puncture protection. The Cross King Shieldwall is one of the most versatile mountain tires for fast conditions of any terrain, with overall grip that is very effective with lower rolling resistance than expected from a knobby tire.
The casing is a 3-ply, 180tpi system that is surprising supple, yet protected at this price point. The lighter, more flexible sidewall protection still delivers high-level resistance to cuts, impacts, abrasion, etc. Again, this allows the tire to react and conform to the terrain better without the rider being concerned about flats or blowouts. The Shieldwall System protection covers bead-to-bead, and the all-round puncture protection layer consists of a finely woven cross fabric. It is flexible to match the casing with the optimum combination of high puncture protection and low rolling resistance with moderate weight.
PureGrip, which has been used in several of Conti's road and commuting tires, was developed for high mileage, puncture resistance, grip and lower cost. The rubber uses Activated silica compounds to offer outstanding grip and cross-country level speed properties; it is also long lasting and highly durable. The tread pattern itself features slightly shorter knobs, with pretty much the same pattern , edge, and angles, but with groups more closely spaced, so more knobs in total around the circumference of the tire. This results in fewer contact voids and more opportunity to grip. It also results in more speed, as you'd expect, but you may not expect more grip and traction, especially not on hardpack or loosepack, which the Cross King delivers.
The result is greater overall rider confidence, especially at speed or in more aggressive cornering angles, where you can feel the improved deflection and conformity. Many of Conti's sponsored XC riders are opting for either a 2.3" Cross King up front with a new 2.2" Race King in the rear, or two Cross Kings, with the 2.2" in the rear. A trail rider might go Trail King up front in a 2.4", with a Cross King 2.3". Fun, no? You choose the best set of tires based on budget, riding conditions, personal preference, and your bike's design. With Continental's Performance tire line, featuring PureGrip and Shieldwall, you can find what works best for you without breaking the bank.Return to Top
- Cross King Performance offers increased terrain/conditions versatility, speed and traction at a better price
- Tubeless Ready tire with Continental Revolution, flatter tubeless bead for better set-up, seal
- Tread pattern itself features slightly shorter knobs, with pretty much the same pattern , edge, and angles
- Continental proven technologies and materials keep performance high, weight moderate
- PureGrip rubber uses Activated silica compounds to offer outstanding grip and cross-country level speed properties; it is also long lasting and highly durable
- Comfortable and voluminous 3 ply/180 tpi casing with Shieldwall system ideal for tubeless use
- Excellent puncture resistance and maximum stability
- ShieldWall combines optimum combination of puncture protection / low rolling resistance with modest weight
- Additional, all-round puncture protection layer, which consists of a finely woven cross fabric
- Revo tubeless ready bead allows easy and uncomplicated tire mounting
- Continental recommends their Revo sealant for best overall results
- Performance Line, w/folding bead, TLR
- Options: size / psi range / weight
- 27.5 x 2.3" / 40-54 psi / 780g
- 27.5 x 2.6" / 29-44 psi / 920g
- 29 x 2.2" / 44-58 psi / 740g
- 29 x 2.3" / 40-54 psi / 825g
- Color: Black
- Made in Germany