ESI Chunky Grips
The success of ESI's 100% silicone Racer's Edge mountain bike grips helped build the demand for more options. The 30mm diameter Racer's Edge led to the 32mm diameter Chunky Grip, which offered more shock absorption and overall comfort without too much added thickness, and felt a little more natural to those with medium to large fingers/hands. All of the other awesome qualities and features carried over the Chunky, which built it's own strong following, especially in the harsh, dry, hard and rocky trail scenes of Southwest and SoCal. Not to left out, flat bar bike commuters also embraced the Chunky for the road buzz and sudden impacts of pot-holed roads everywhere.
It may seem strange now, but when ESI started offering 100% silicone grips to pro mountain bike racers in 1999, they were the first company to do so. By 2006 the "secret" was out and trail riders of all disciplines were hitting us up for ESI. Now silicone seems like half the market for road and mountain tape/grip material. Why? The material is lightweight, incredibly durable to daily use, offers excellent grip wet or dry, with gloves or without, and offers great bar and cockpit feel for top notch control. It also does not have latex or traditional rubber. On top of that the price is great, especially considering the durability, there are great color options, and the product is perfectly consistent every time you buy a new pair.
The silicone grips are easy to install (with rubbing alcohol as the "lubricant") and hold very well without twisting even in the harshest technical riding conditions. The grips are made from 100% silicone that conforms to the hands and offers excellent comfort while ensuring control. The base properties of ESI's grips can reduce problems like numbness and hand pain. The silicone material is resistant to tears, extreme heat and cold, and non-porous so it never gets waterlogged or compromises feel or grip. The Chunky Grip is a great option for so many riders that it forced ESI to consider the Extra Chunky and hybird designs as well.
- 100% silicone MTB grips from the original silicone bar grip maker
- Moderately thick 32mm diameter grip that offers more comfort and shock absorption while favoring medium to long fingers/hands
- Great wet or dry grip means great connected feeling and sure control/i>
- The silicone will subtly conform to your hand shape and placement with time
- Silicone is resistant to UV damage, won't fade, dry out, or harden, and can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol, other cleaners, even acetone
- ESI recommends rubbing alcohol as lubricant for installation- see video on ESI's site for further instruction- No need for adhesive of any kind!
- Grip length: 5⅛" (128mm)
- Diameter (installed on bar): 32mm
- Includes: 1 pair of grips, 1 pair of ESI endcaps
- Select color from drop down menu
- Weight: 60 grams
- Made in USA