Niner BSB 9 RDO Rival Bicycle
Niner's take on their cutting-edge cyclocross racing bike are clear: responsive, light, laterally stiff but horizontally compliant, disc brakes, and quick handling. The match of a SRAM 1x11 road groupset flows nicely into this concept. All of these characteristics are exemplified by the BSB 9 RDO Rival Bike, a svelte carbon frame and fork built for with Maxle style thru-axle dropouts. The super reliable Rival 1x11 Hydraulic Disc Road groupset is a perfect choice for a the destructive conditions of the average cyclocross course. It is cost effective to replace parts, and truly reliable and durable at impact and under extreme physical stresses.
Cyclocross has changed in the last few years. Carbon as a frame material has made frames stiff and light; even more durable in some ways than the lightweight alloy and Scandium framesets that preceded the carbon influx. Oversized head and steerer tubes made forks stiffer both laterally and vertically. Advances in disc brakes, as well as rim construction and greater rim width immediately applied naturally to cyclocross. The tubeless generation afforded tire options and exceptionally low pressures found on tubular tires. Even tubular rims and tires adapted to the new equipment standards. Rider technique evolved as well. Stiffer bikes and forks changed they way riders attacked corners, jumps, and hops. Lower tire pressures and wider rims broadened the overall traction capabilities, allowing riders to truly rely on lateral rigidity in off camber action, knowing the tire could hold the line, even in slick or muddy conditions. The skills of riders are constantly developing and pushing these technologies.
Enter the BSB 9 RDO frameset. Niner's Carbon Compaction System (CCS) optimizes the carbon lay-up and reduces excess epoxy to keep the disc brake specific frame weight under 1000 grams (Small), and the carbon disc fork comes in just over 500 grams (uncut). The 142mm/12mm thru-axle system in the rear and gently curving stays keep the back end stiff and light, through the oversized, full carbon PF30 bottom bracket shell. The front triangle offers shapes and planes that are cyclocross specific for easy carry, but also provide horizontal compliance while retaining incredible power transfer and torsion resistance through the oversized head tube. Combined with the tapered steerer of the Niner RDO cyclocross specific fork, the front end offers precise, confident handling. The fork itself is a full carbon design that draws on the company's years of experience with XC carbon MTB forks, and is laterally stiff down through the 100mm/15mm thru axle mount, yet absorbs vibration and chatter to smooth out the ride as much as possible.
Geometry is cross race-specific, with a steeper head tube angle for sharp, precise cornering, as well as 425mm chainstays, which keep the back end quick and responsive. All angles and even the BB height vary with frame size, with expected crank length factored into BB height. The BSB 9 RDO carries Niner's C5 (5-year) warranty, so you know the company has taken great care to build a race-worthy frame that can hold up to the rigors and challenges of cyclocross, and they back it up. Rider comfort is subjective, but in addition to the aforementioned frame and fork characteristics, Niner opted for a 27.2mm seatpost on the slightly sloping BSB 9 RDO. Most riders will have seat heights that allow for adequate flex length for most carbon posts, with great variety in the market for flex, offset, and clamping options. Niner recommends a 400mm length post length.
Frame and build details are crucial to your buying decision. The frame and fork will both accommodate up to a 40mm wide tire (actual width will vary by manufacturer) but the fork is even more generous. Disc brake use is limited to a max rotor size of 160mm. Both frame and fork caliper mounts are 74mm post style with the rear located inside the dropout junction. The rear hydraulic housing is cleanly run on tabs on the non-drive side of the frame, via the downtube. There are two sets of recessed water bottle cage bosses inside the triangle for training season or general purpose riding. Niner supplies the tapered, integrated Campy style headset, front and rear Maxles, and the 31.8mm seatpost collar. The 68mm PF30 BB has suits the Rival BB30 crankset.
This is a cyclocross race bike. From engineering, through design, and details, the requirements and bike interactions of the cross rider were implemented. The 1x11 Rival (42T x 11-28) drivetrain was chosen for power and range, with the mid-cage rear derailleur. The Rival HRD hydraulic flat mount brakeset delivers smooth, fade-free power to the 6-bolt, 140mm G30 disc rotors. Shifting and braking are handled with aplomb. Niner equipped the BSB 9 RDO Rival Bicycle with a NoTubes Grail wheelset featuring the adaptable NEO 6-bolt thru-axle hubset. Schwalbe's 700x33 X-One EVO SS tubeless ready tires. Niner supplies the cockpit with their 400mm Alloy seatpost carrying a custom Niner saddle, Alloy stem, Alloy Droptop handlebar, integrated headset and Niner handlebar tape.
If you are ready for a turn-key race bike for the season ahead, Niner makes the BSB 9 RDO Rival Bicycle just for you, and we are here to help you get a leg over. If you have questions about the fit geometry or build, please give us a call at 800.627.6664 and one of our helpful cycling staff members will talk you through this fantastic bike.
- Complete cyclocross race bike with BSB 9 RDO frameset, Rival 1x11 hydraulic disc brake build kit featuring Stan's NoTubes Grail wheelset
- Full carbon thru-axle, disc brake frame and fork designed for cyclocross racing
- RDO CCS carbon layup for no-compromise stiffness, strength and ride quality
- Tapered head tube and fork for front end stiffness, strength and steering precision
- 142x12mm rear frame thru-axle, 100/15mm thru-axle fork for stiffness, efficiency
- Post mount disc caliper mounts, max 160mm rotor
- 68mm PF30 full carbon BB shell, adaptable to threaded cup designs
- Two inner main triangle water bottle mounts in every size
- Replaceable derailleur hanger
- Internal, full housing derailleur routing, Di2 compatible w/ seat post battery wiring
- Rear disc brake housing routed externally on non-drive downtube/chainstay tabs
- SRAM Rival 1x11 HRD Road groupset: 42T 1x BB30 crankset and PF30 BB, 11-28 PG 1170 cassette, 11 spd PC 1130 chain, Mid-cage rear derailleur, HRD Right shift/brake lever, HRD Left brake lever, flat mount disc calipers, 140mm G30 6-bolt rotors
- Wheelset: Stan's NoTubes 32h Grail rims, NEO 6-bolt hubset with 15/100 TA front, 12/142mm TA rear; with Schwalbe X-One EVO SS tubeless ready tires 700x33, tubes
- Cockpit: Niner Alloy Droptop bar, stem, and 27.2 x400mm seatpost with custom chromoly rail Niner saddle, and handlebar tape; Niner integrated SHIS IS42/28.6 | IS52/40 headset
- Sizes: 50,53, 56, 59 cm
- Colors: Carbon/Black