Cervelo S3 Ultegra R8000 Bicycle 2018
The original S3 was a clear advance in carbon aero road frames. The power transfer, solid wind tunnel statistics, styling, and race geometry helped sell the public on aero road as a realistic option for any serious road rider. With advances and time, the S5 evolved, but the engineers were still exploring ways to improve the S3, to provide the cycling public with a more comfortable ride, at a lighter weight, and more cost effective than the S5. With influences in the rear triangle from the Project California Rca development, and a new front chassis that features better aero integration throughout the frame design, the "now" generation Cervelo S3 has again demonstrated how aero road is done. This 2018 S3 Ultegra R8000 complete bicycle is well-equipped to ensure that a comfortable, thrilling ride awaits.
If you compared a first generation S3 frameset with the current version, you would see how the airfoil shapes have changed, becoming more robust, and wider towards the rear. This change reflects how bike- specific aerodynamic understanding has changed, and in turn, the shapes lend themselves to better overall torsional stiffness, as well as bottom bracket stiffness, while allowing the carbon layup to get both stronger and lighter. The emphasis changes from the headtube out, as the 1⅛ to 1⅜ tapered headtube (and fork). This increases headtube stiffness from the original S3 by a whopping 23%. Now, the water bottles become more protected and part of the aero shape, and the tire gets a better shroud. The seattube has also changed, as the Partial Seattube Cutout improves airflow around the rear wheel, while allowing for 700x25c tire clearance.
And with those advantages, and the BBright bottom bracket and tube junction add 16% more stiffness for power transfer, most of those curious but cautious about aero road bikes are most concerned about the ride quality and compliance. By adding the essential seatstay design from the incredibly smooth and comfortable Rca road frame, Cervelo has changed the equation. With class-leading compliance and comfort produced by the thinner stays, the S3 demonstrates the power of engineering, integration, and vast experience with carbon and the lay-up process can be tailored to meet all of the needs of a cyclist.
Shimano's Ultegra R8000 11-speed components are hailed for their value, but the performance, durability, and reliability are what set them apart- ultimately creating that value. Due to Cervelo's BBright bottom bracket design the BBB bottom bracket is the only exception to the Ultegra groupset on this bike. From the R8000 series you have a 52-36T crankset, mechanical STI Dual Control levers, braze-on front derailleur, SS rear derailleur, chain, 11-28 cassette, and the strong performing caliper rim brakeset.
FSA supplies the alloy 31.8mm Energy Compact Handlebar. Cervelo supplies the proprietary aero carbon SP17 seatpost, an Ultra Lite alloy stem, and the bar tape.. A Fizik Antares R7 saddle ties you to the bike, and an alloy aero Mavic Cosmic Elite Wheelset carries the whole package on the French wheel giant's 700x25 Yksion Elite clincher tires. As you can see, every component was chosen to complement the build and purpose of the S3. This is an aero road bike. From the 52-36 chainring combination, to the 11-28 cassette, and the 30mm profile Cosmic Elite wheelset, this complete bike was assembled for speed and efficiency. Of course, you can always add a larger cassette range, or move to 50-34 rings if you desire more gearing options. And though the Cosmic wheelset is a solid aero training design, a competitive rider might opt for an upgrade, with a pair of Zipp 404 Firecrests, Enve SES 4.5's or the Reynolds Assault for race days.
Ultimately the 2018 S3 Ultegra R8000 Bicycle is your opportunity to get on a proven, and improved aerodynamic design, with impeccable handling and power transfer, that is now inherently more comfortable and compliant. Longer distance, fast group rides are now to be anticipated and enjoyed, not dreaded. You WILL be able to get up the next day and ride again; not feel like you should take a day off to rest your back and shoulders. If you have any questions about the S3, or any Cervelo, please give us a call at (800)627-6664 and our expert staff will be happy to assist you and explain how you can get on this tremendous aero road bike.
- Complete aero road bike with new aero design, comfort features and value
- Features kit with: Shimano Ultegra R8000, FSA, and Mavic
- Updated aero road frameset featuring 1⅛ to 1⅜ Tapered All-Carbon S3 Fork
- Dropped Downtube, Shielding Seatstays, Partial Seattube Cutout, BBright
- Cervelo's standard road geometry, for speed and balanced handling
- 23% improvement in front end torsional stiffness, 16% increase at bottom bracket
- Tire clearance to 25mm, rear tire shielded by seat tube
- Compliance and comfort drastically increased with adoption of Rca flatter seatstays
- Future-Proof, fully capable internal cable routing keeps things clean, working properly for mechanical or electronic drivetrains
- Reduced friction bottom bracket guide for shifting efficiency with cables
- Ultegra R8000 11-spd groupset: mechanical STI shift/brake levers, 52-36 crank, 11-28 cassette, braze-on front derailleur, SS rear derailleur, HG701 chain
- BBB Bottomfit BBO-72 PF30 Threaded for Shimano 24mm
- Mavic Cosmic Elite Wheelset, 30mm profile, 25mm Yksion Elite tires, 120tpi, tubes
- FSA Energy Compact bar, FSA IS-2 1⅛ to1⅜ headset
- Cervelo Cervelo Ultra Lite Alloy Stem, Aero Sp-17 Carbon Seatpost, Cervelo bar wrap
- Fizik Antares R7 saddle
- Full carbon dropouts and fork for 130mm rear/100mm front quick releases
- Sizes: 56, 58, 61 cm
- Color: Red/Black/White