Factor VAM Disc Full Chassis
The research and development that brought the world the Factor O2 frameset design provided Factor's engineers with huge amounts of data and knowledge as they built a fantastic riding, sub 800 gram road race frameset that sacrificed nothing in the pursuit of wins and personal bests. So after a few years of incredible success for this smaller frame company, what did Factor do? How about going to back to the O2 drawing board, albeit with a head start, and create the O2 VAM Disc frameset, with a new carbon production process, some different material technology, and a commitment to maintaining or improving the O2 across the board.
Enter the sub 700 gram O2 VAM (Velocita Ascensionale Media- average ascent velocity), frameset. Unlike many superlight road framesets, the VAM was not only built to climb, but to dominate descents and ride like a dream. The cockpit set-up is pro-style low friendly with a new headtube and headset top cap/spacer system. Overall the geometry is incredibly close the O2, with the same Stack and Reach. Current O2 riders who desire the lightest version will find it all very familiar, aside from the approximately 10% reduction in frame weight. So what is different? VAM is manufactured with a completely new method of carbon compaction. Pressurization greater than normal allows the engineers to wring excessive resin from the various base carbon materials, therefore making the carbon stronger, lighter and more efficient.
As with all Factor frames, the VAM was optimized with a strategic layup of mixed modulus carbon that helps further define and augment VAM'S decisive handling and riding characteristics. The materials list is impressive as well with Factor adding TeXtreme®, Nippon Graphite pitch fiber, and boron fiber to their secret sauce. The combination of fiber and materials used in with the new compaction process combine to deliver the lateral and torsional stiffness required to keep the frame efficient and a perfect platform for power transfer, while resulting in a solid and sure feel when descending or sprinting. Boron fiber is not new to cycling, as several frame manufacturers have used in superlight frames, but Factor has used it primarily to reduce weight while maintaining proper lateral stiffness in the seattube, with no compromise in ride quality.
The 54cm rim brake bare VAM frame weighs in at 640 grams, with this disc model coming in at 690 grams. The superlight platform is a perfect choice for building a complete bike that destroys the UCI minimum weight limit, yet can still be ridden in all conditions and situations. Even the tapered fork received the VAM treatment, looking slightly wasted next to the standard O2 model. The essentially nude Vaypor carbon, with the slight touches of a sharp red, looks raw, clean and light. The O2 VAM Disc frameset is the Full Chassis version, so the Black Inc Carbon seatpost, and Integrated Carbon stem/bar are part of the frameset package, along with the Ceramic Speed headset and bottom bracket. It is compatible and friendly with both mechanical and electronic shifting systems. You'll need a braze-on front derailleur, and besides your choice of components, pretty much everything else is included, even an out front style 1/4 turn mount for the Black Inc handlebar, and bar tape. Finally, the disc frameset features Flat Mount hydraulic brake caliper interfaces, as well as 12/100mm front and 12/142mm rear bolt-on thru-axles, which are provided.
We'll leave the key closing words to Rob Gitelis, owner of Factor: “Historically speaking, bike brands have always struggled with the balance between maximizing profit versus developing the best bike possible. After over 20 years in the industry, I decided to throw out the rules and challenge Factor with one simple goal: to develop the absolute best bike in the world. With the O2 VAM I truly believe we have achieved this goal, and I can’t wait for our customers to experience this bike.”
And frankly, neither can we. Whether you want to build your O2 VAM with Shimano Dura-Ace Di2, SRAM Red AXS 12, or Campagnolo Super Record 12, Excel Sports is here for you. Zipp 202's, Black Inc 30's, Enve SES 3.4? Yes. If you are local to our Boulder Showroom, stop by. Otherwise email email@example.com or call us at 800.627.6664 to discuss the exciting options for building out your dream Factor O2 VAM Disc Full Chassis.
- Superlight disc brake road race frameset optimized for climbing, great all-around
- Full carbon frame-fork, Black Inc chassis (cockpit), Ceramic Speed Headset, BB
- Road race geometry for true pro position, with balanced feel and performance
- Newly engineered O2 design with material and manufacturing improvements
- Increased pressure during mold compaction process eliminates excess resin
- Advanced materials :TeXtreme®, Nippon Graphite pitch fiber, and Boron fiber
- Result is exceptional lightweight, no sacrifice in torsional stiffness, compliance
- Average of 10% reduction in weight of comparable size O2 bare frame
- Includes: Black Inc Integrated Carbon bar-stem, 27.2mm round Carbon seatpost
- Features Ceramic Speed ceramic bearing headset and bottom bracket (Shim/SRAM)
- New toptube-headset topcap-spacer design specific to VAM
- Disc frameset has Flat Mount caliper interfaces (140-160 compatible), internal routing
- 12/100mm front 12/142mm rear bolt-on Factor thru-axles
- New VAM routing path, management port, cable stops for mechanical shifting, brakes
- Frameset includes all fittings for internal mechanical or electronic routing
- Requires braze-on front derailleur type
- Sizes: 49, 52, 54, 56, 58
- VAM finish: Raw carbon with red highlights (Vaypor/Red)
- Weight: 690 grams (bare 54cm frame)