Ritchey WCS Apex 50 Wheelset
The lightweight and aerodynamic WCS Apex 50 wheelset is aimed squarely at other competitor offerings in the carbon 45-50mm depth wheel offerings. And with the standout combination of the Apex 50 OCR rim and WCS Phantom Flange hubset, these wheels out perform other brands that are more recognized in this space. The OCR rim design reduces dish to balance spoke tension for a stronger wheel that will resist lateral flex. The tubeless-ready carbon rims work with standard tire/tube combinations or tubeless set-ups, while the hubs are easily converted to any axle or freehub body config you require.
The WCS Apex 50 wheels feature both the WCS Phantom Flange hubset and the WCS Apex UD Carbon rim with 50mm height and 19mm internal rim width (26mm external width). The Phantom's 6 pawl, 12-point micro clutch engagement system is self contained and does not have any small or loose parts that could be easily lost or misplaced. The Phantom design is easy to break down and service, as well as convert to a different axle or freehub body spec. Removing the rear one-piece freehub body produces a surprisingly flat wheel which is ideal for travel or storage.
The WCS-grade hub shells are cold forged, then machined for strength and precision and weight in at a scant 70 grams for the front and 207 grams for the rear. The freehub system also offers simple interchangeable options for Campy and XD Driver. The 19mm internal width rims feature proprietary Ritchey extrusion, which creates a rim shape balances ride quality, stiffness and aerodynamics. The OCR rear rim is designed to mate with the rear hub at staggered drive side flanges, which increase the spoke bracing angle and eliminates interference between crossing spokes, resulting in a stiffer, stronger wheel. DT Swiss Competition butted spokes were sped'd to balance lightweight with torsional strength for proper handling. The wheelset has a 20/24 spoke combo and are laced 2x on driveside with radial lacing everywhere else. The wheel is supplied in standard 9mm quick-release axles and Ritchey WCS alloy skewers.
- WCS Apex UD Carbon rim with 50mm height and 19mm internal/26mm external width
- WCS Phantom Flange hubs with premium quality bearings
- DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8mm butted spokes with brass nipples
- Rear OCR rim design reduces dish to balance spoke tension for a stronger wheel
- 19mm internal width, 26mm external width and 50mm rim height
- Staggered drive side flange increases spoke bracing angle for strength
- 20/24 hole rims laced radial with 2x driveside
- Tool-free design allows for quick dis-assembly of rear axle and freehub
- Easily convertible freehub body and axles for flexibility
- UD naked carbon finish
- Weight: 1556 grams / 688g front / 868 gram rear