The 12-speed Shimano SLX M7100 mountain groupset was developed with the HG+ design, which is also used with 12-Speed road, and this CN-M7100 chain is also the option for R7100 105. This HG+ chain carries the power of the drivetrain through the system. Optimized for width, plate design and overall integration with Hyperglide+ chainring and cassette cog tooth profiles, the CN-M7100 is one of the quietest chains Shimano has produced, despite the tight cog profiles and extreme chainline angles. It also fully compatible with Shimano road 12-Speed Road R9200, R8100, R7100 drivetrains, which also feature HG+ profiling.
Shimano applies their SIL-TEC ultra-low friction surface treatment technology to the inner plates of this chain. SIL-TEC is an advanced plating process that improves system performance through the use of imbedded fluorine particles resulting in systems that run smoother and wear longer in all conditions. It does lack the addition of a chromizing treatment that is used on the M1800 XT/Ultegra level chain, otherwise the chains are identical. One of the major focus points of the M7100/R7100 drivetrains was Shimano's commitment to smoother, quieter, and more intuitive shifting performance. The chain is crucial to all of these elements. Shimano engineered the Hyperglide+ system to help riders seamlessly maneuver rough trails by reducing pedaling shock and cutting shifting times by a 1/3 versus the 11-Speed HG system.
A second major focus was on chainwrap and retention of the chainrings and cogs. This was achieved by extending the end of inner plate to firmly hold both throughout the pedaling action. The engineers also made subtle changes to the outer edges of the plates, no doubt to improve up and down shifts by reducing friction points. This true even with the wider teeth of the chainring. The inner plate are slightly chamfered, allowing the chain to self center on the teeth which decreases stress on the plates and rollers, reducing wear and allowing the chain to sit as deeply on the profile of the teeth as possible.
The CN-M7100 12 Speed Chain employs a 12-speed specific version of the Quick Link system (SM-CN910-12), and it is not recommended you use any other option. As with the 11-speed Quick Link, the 12-speed version is a single-use item. Once you install then remove, it needs to be replaced. We recommend you pick up a few so you have them at home for cleaning or service, as well as having one in your saddle bag or hydration pack. While it is much easier with proper chain-link plier tools, the link can be separated or installed by hand. The 256 gram chain comes at full length with 126 links. Return to Top
- 12-speed HG+ chain for Shimano M8100, M9100, M7100, R9200, R8100, R7100 drivetrains
- Optimized for width, plate design and overall integration with Hyperglide+
- Chromizing treatment protects roller link plate
- SIL-TEC treatment on inner plate for extended offroad durability
- Commitment to smoother, quieter, and more intuitive shifting performance
- Major focus was on chainwrap and retention of the chainrings and cogs
- Self centers on the 1x teeth which decreases stress on the plates and rollers
- Compatible with 1x or 2x 12-speed HG+ Mountain and 2x HG+ 12-Speed Road drivetrains
- Utilizes single use SM-CN910-12 12-speed Quick Link system
- Solid-pin, highly evolved and proven chain design for M7100
- Color: Silver
- Weight: 252 grams (at average of 114 links)