Shimano's Premium Grease used to be considered a Dura-Ace level product, and was referred to as "Special Grease". Well, it is still quite special, and more than worthy of Dura-Ace, but is now considered Shimano's premium bearing grease. The mid-viscosity grease has a smooth, tacky quality, and seems drawn to metal. A thin, but comprehensive application on bearings, races, and threads is all it takes to keep the surface protected from moisture, as well as ensure proper function with very low friction. You will find this yellow-green grease on many Shimano components. Not only does it repel moisture, it also has incredible durability in areas that get continual use, such as hub and bottom bracket bearings.
Most mechanics recall "Special Grease" packaged only in a 100 gram tube, but now Shimano also offers Premium Grease in a small 50 gram jar (great for your travel kit or less frequent use), as well as a 500 gram jar, which is for regular users at home or in the shop. Premium Grease goes a long way, and using extra to "just pack it in" is actually unnecessary and could add friction. Thin, comprehensive coverage is best, and delivers tremendous results. One note: Premium Grease is not considered the correct lubricant for freehubs with pawl systems or as a cable lubricant. There are better options available for those applications.
- Shimano's premium grade ball bearing, mechanical fitting grease
- Ideal for bolt and frame threads, loose bearing bottom brackets, headsets, hubs
- Medium weight bearing grease with tacky feel that adheres well to metal surfaces
- Use grease in thin layers, with comprehensive surface coverage
- Highly water resistant, protects from corrosion
- Very durable, with low friction when used properly- no need to overpack
- Excel Sports staff favorite
- Sizes: 50g, 500g