Road Tubeless ready tires are now widely available as the technology, materials, and design and manufacturer commitment have improved. We also have seen the increase in tubeless ready road wheelsets across a greater price range. Shimano and Hutchinson were the two original Road Tubeless partners, so the Japanese component giant has always delivered options, and now continues to flesh out the line with this 1649 gram, rim brake, 105/Ultegra equivalent level WH-RS500 TL Wheelset.
Shimano's aluminum rims, welded joint, with machined brake tracks are outstanding. The 24mm deep rim profile design offers good rolling speed, and balanced by a 20.8mm external width (15mm internal), great lateral strength. The front carries 16 stainless steel straight-pull spokes, in high tension, to a machined aluminum hub. A 14mm oversized alloy axle carries Shimano's preferred cup and cone bearing system. The rear wheel has a stouter 20 hole hub variant laced 2x/2x with the straight pull spokes. The freehub body is steel, which holds up to considerable use, especially with loose cog cassettes.
The rim bed was designed for use with Road Tubeless tires and standard clincher tires with tubes. Tire width range is considered 23-32mm, with the sweet spot from 23-28mm. There is a max recommend weight for rider, gear and bike: 220 lbs. The freehub is 11-speed and requires a 1.8mm spacer for 9 or 10 speed use. The rim and hub anodized finish is grey, with black spokes and black alloy nipples. Shimano supplies their excellent 100/130mm dropout anodized grey quick releases and rim tape. Return to Top
- Great riding Tubeless Ready road wheelset for rim brake use
- Can be used with standard clincher tires and tubes
- Responsive speed, smooth ride, prompt acceleration, predictable cornering
- Essentially a 105/Ultegra level product with grey anodized finish
- Rim spec: 24mm profile, 20.8mm ext width, 15mm int width, rear asymmetric
- Hubs: Machined anodized aluminum for straight pull spokes, 14mm oversized alloy axle, cup and cone bearing system
- Spokes: 16 front radial, 20 rear 2x/2x; black, stainless steel, straight-pull
- Nipples: Black alloy
- Freehub: Steel Shimano 11 speed (use 1.8mm spacer for 9/10 spd use
- Includes: 100/130mm anodized grey QR's, rim tape
- Max weight: 220lbs (rider, bike, gear)
- Finish: Anodized grey
- Weight: 1649 grams (705g front, 944g rear)