Specialized's Body Geometry Footbeds are ergonomically designed and scientifically tested to increase power, endurance, and comfort by optimizing hip, knee, and foot alignment. The SL Footbeds provide various levels of longitudinal arch as well as metatarsal zone support for a custom fit. A rider can determine the optimum level of foot contour: + Red = minimal contours for riders that prefer minimal support, ++ Blue = moderate (slightly higher longitudinal arch & metatarsal button) = for people with flat to standard arch, +++ Green = significant support = for people with standard or high arches.
For their BG cycling shoes, Specialized features three scientifically driven patented Body Geometry technologies labeled as: Varus Wedge, Longitudinal Arch, and Metarsal Button. While BG Footbeds simply complement the sole-driven Varus Wedge, the remaining two technologies are largely located in the footbed. The Blue and Green colors of the BG SL Footbed have option associated lift positions for the Metarsal Button, while the contour and height of the Longitudinal Arch increase proportionately in the same two colors.
Here are the three Body Geometry technologies, explained:
- Varus Wedge: With a 1.5mm built-in Varus Wedge, Body Geometry shoes stabilize the natural movement of your forefoot and improve foot, knee, and hip alignment, which increases power output and adds an average of 10 seconds to your time to exhaustion during maximum efforts.
- Longitudinal Arch: The foot is built like a leaf spring. Great for running. Bad for riding. Body Geometry shoes are designed with patented, molded arch support in the outsole to create a rigid structure, which is paired with customizable footbeds to prevent foot collapse and increase power.
- Metatarsal Button: Ready to banish hot spots and numbness from your ride? By lifting and separating the bones of the forefoot, the Metatarsal Button prevents impinging and compressing nearby nerves and arteries, so you can say goodbye to the foot issues that plagues many riders.
- Light weight, cycling shoe footbeds optimized for Specialized shoes, in three arch heights and associated metatarsal zone lift
- Measurably increase power, reduce time to exhaustion, and reduce injury by aligning hip, knee, and aligning/supporting the foot.
- Proprietary lightweight foam avoids taking a compression set for long-lasting performance
- Specialized has a fitting tool named the Specialized Arch-O-Meter, available at most Specialized Dealer locations that carry Specialized BG shoes and footbeds
- The pressure-based pad tool helps you understand your arch contour needs, Specialized shoe size
- The SL Footbeds are compatible with BG Wedges (generally set-up by a Retul bike fit expert)
- + Red = minimal contours for riders that prefer minimal support
- ++ Blue = moderate (slightly higher longitudinal arch & metatarsal button) = for people with flat to standard arch
- +++ Green = significant support = for people with standard or high arches
- Sized to Specialized Cycling Shoe Euro sizing chart
- Sizes: 40-41, 42-43, 44-45, 45-46, 46-47, 48-49 (can be trimmed for exact fit, feature length cutting guide on bottom)
- Sold as: One Pair