Xpro 12 Pedals
Time has continually worked to improve their road pedal system over the decades, while carrying forward many of the features that cyclists were drawn to 20+ years ago. The Xpro 12 is the advancement of the Xpresso platform with more power transmission surface, increased strength and durability, improved aerodynamics, and fine tuned the adjustable tension of the carbon blade engagement system. All this advancement at 94 grams per pedal, same as the Xpresso 12. The low stack height and float (lateral and angular) of the Bioposition system, the I-Clic cleat system, bearing configuration system, titanium axle, and the molded UD carbon body are all features that continue with the new design.
The new carbon body design reinforces the forward section of the pedal and allows for a fairing plate underneath that improves clean airflow past the busy underside of the pedal. The construction also created the opportunity for Time to offer improved three position options for the carbon blade (which is effectively a spring), so you can customize the engagement/release tension. Time also revamped the I-Clic device in the pedal. It still pre-opens for fast and easier engagement, but now when it locks in when you press your heel down, the actual engagement delivers a more positive response you can feel. Apparently the previous version was a little too smooth. We never had much of an issue or heard this specific complaint with the Xpresso, but anything that increases rider confidence is a plus.
Creating more surface area for greater power transfer is a challenge with the beam-lke design, but Time has been able to exceed many pedal manufacturers with the 700 square mm surface area of the Xpresso. In the Xpro this is now 725mm2, an impressive gain that appears to be the largest cleat-pedal surface contact zone on the market today. Time has historically believed surface contact to be crucial to power transfer. Many pedal options started reducing this zone as shoes got stiffer with carbon soles, but Time reason's that keeping a larger contact area with a stiffer sole distributes more force directly into the pedal. That is hard to argue with.
Time's Bioposition system then brings the shoe closer to the pedal with the 13.5mm cleat stack height. Bioposition also delivers 2.5mm of lateral float and 5° of angular float, with the release point at 15° of outboard angular action. Time has always believed that freedom with both float systems allows the leg to track more naturally, especially with changing hip angles as you sit more upright, or drop down more aggressively. For many cyclists, this can eliminate the need for pedal washers, and because the action is subtle and smooth, you really don't feel it happening. Many sprinters have enjoyed this set-up, as it allows for more outward movement, which widens the stance and creates better balance in the forceful, violent action of an out of the saddle sprint.
Why invest in, or upgrade to the Xpro 12 Pedal? The answer is simple, it is better pedal than the already well-regarded Xpresso 12. The increased strength, larger platform surface, and improved positive engagement of the I-Clic system ensure the Time Xpro 12 is a better pedal, and because you don't lose any of the features of the Xpresso, nor gain any weight, you power to the line with improved performance and greater confidence.Return to Top
- New carbon body and design for Time's pro-level road pedal with more improvements and best-feature carry over in the carbon body/titanium axle model
- Body design increase strength forward of the axle, adds 25mm2 surface area
- Full carbon body is molded and sculpted for strength, power transfer
- Lightweight titanium axle with silky smooth stainless steel bearings
- Improved positioning of the 3-position options for carbon blade power
- Lower plate acts as fairing to improve aerodynamics, protection for carbon blade
- Strategically placed stainless steel plates prevent pedal body wear
- I-Clic system has been redesigned to allow for more positive cleat engagement
- Low 13.5mm stack height means more direct power transfer
- Bioposition mechanics allows for 2.5mm of lateral float, 5° of angular float
- Incredible 725 square mm surface area
- Includes: pair of 9/16 thread pedals and set I-Clic cleats
- Color: Black/Red
- Weight: 94 grams/pedal
- Made in France