Wahoo's Speedplay Pedal line-up features a slimmed down line-up, capturing the essence of the best options and features. The Speedpay Nano, like the other models, features some re-engineered components. At 168 grams, the Nano lives up to it's name, and the titanium spindle pedal carries a strict rider weight limit of 180lbs. The essentials of the legendary Speedplay design are here, with unbeatable stack height, 3-axis cleat adjustment, superior cornering clearance, dual-side entry, and rotational free float. Wahoo has made some changes that they will improve durability, basically eliminate greasing and maintenance, and an upgraded, universal walkable cleat system offered in standard or light spring tension. The Nano comes equipped with standard tension cleats, and is available in a stock 53mm Q-factor spindle length.
Hence, the Speedplay Nano is a featherweight, dual-sided road pedal that lives up to the demands of sprint finishes, categorized climbs, and tough training sessions. The mix of a premium titanium axle and the carbon fiber body creates a lightweight but strong pedal that will hold up and deliver speed on the breakaway. The integrated cleat system with 3-axis adjustability allows you to precisely dial in your fit for optimized biometrics and increased power transfer.
A challenge for the original Speedplay pedals was that the spring retention and rotation system only covered about 40% of the circumference of the pedal. Combined with the cleat design, this did allow any sand or grit to release from the system, but also created an opportunity for uneven wear, which would lead to side to side rocking that wore the body and cleat down over time. By moving to a 360° ring around the edge of the body this issue will be eliminated, and the cleat allows grains and grit to escape. The second important change is a redesigned axle and bearing system that visually resembles the old version, but it very different. The body now rides on triple sealed cartridge & needle bearings, and have a superior seal system. The grease port has been eliminated as Wahoo is confident you will never need to grease them. on the inboard side of the axle, the flats for a pedal wrench are gone, and an 8mm Hex is required to install, accessed from behind the pedal axle.
The cleat system has slight modifications, and is again designed for safer walking and protecting the cleat interface itself. The Standard Tension Cleat included with the Nano can be positioned on the bottom of the shoe and adjusted fore-aft (14mm), left-right (8mm) and rotationally, allowing between 0-15° of float. The textured rubber of the walkable body offers grip across multiple surfaces and is more durable. The cleat cover cap carries over as well. Older Speedplay Walkable Zero type cleats and pedals are cross compatible with the new Wahoo offered cleats and pedals. X-Series are not. A #2 Phillips head screwdriver is used to adjust the float rotation.
Thanks to the pedal and cleat design, as well as as the 53mm Q-factor, the Speedplay Nano has a best in class 39 degree cornering clearance. The low, efficient stack height is again tops, though it varies with your shoe cleat interface, at 11.5mm with 3 hole set-ups, or ultra low at 8.5mm with the rare 4-hole option. Please know that some smaller shoes or shoes with more curvature in the cleat mounting zone may not sit flush, though you have the ability to make this work in most cases.
Overall, time will tell if Wahoo has nailed their engineering fixes, but the company is confident. All of the great features you loved with Speedplay are here in the new version, and for cyclists who prize ultralightweight and premium grade materials will find the Nano pedals will meet and exceed your expectations.Return to Top
- Featherweight, dual-sided road pedal with premium titanium and carbon fiber materials
- Wahoo Speedplay pedal system with refined upgrades, carrying over virtually of the great features
- Only pedal system to provide independent 3-Axis Adjustability to optimize fit and enhance performance through better biomechanics
- Upgrades: 360° spring rotation retainer on body, new bearing and seal system that eliminates grease port, improved and simplified model spread, and cleat system
- Pedals allow up to 15° of float, allowing the heel to pivot around the center of the pedal
- Low stack provides a solid connection for a more fluid transfer of power with every pedal stroke, greater efficiency
- Nano and Standard Tension Cleat create a seamless integration for a streamlined profile with shoe
- Class leading cornering clearance, low stack height
- Body Material: Carbon Composite
- Axle Material: Titanium
- Rider weight limit: 180lbs
- Pedal installation requires an 8mm Hex key, to internal axle fitment through crank arm
- Bearing systems: Triple Sealed Cartridge & Needle Bearings
- Stack Height: 11.5mm (3 hole) 8.5mm (4 hole)
- Release Angle: Micro Adjustable from 0° to 7.5°
- Pedal Float: Adjustable from 0° to 15°
- Cornering Clearance: 39°
- Spindle length / Q-factor: 53mm
- Cleat Fore-Aft Adjustability: up to 14mm | Cleat Left-Right Adjustability: up to 8mm
- Cleats: Standard Tension included, with Walkable adaptor/cover
- Color: Black
- Weight: 168 grams per pair (pedals only)