Wahoo Speedplay Zero Pedals
Wahoo's Speedplay Pedal line-up features a slimmed down line-up, capturing the essence of the best options and features. The Speedpay Zero, like the other models, features some re-engineered components. At 222 grams, the Zero is competitively light, incredibly strong, and built to last. The essentials of the legendary Speedplay design are here, with unbeatable stack height, 3-axis cleat adjustment, superior cornering clearance, dual-side entry, and rotational free float. Wahoo has made some changes that they will improve durability, basically eliminate greasing and maintenance, and an upgraded, universal walkable cleat system offered in standard or light spring tension. The Zero comes equipped with standard tension cleats, and is available in a stock 53mm Q-factor spindle length.
The stainless steel axle-equipped pedal, Grivory composite body and integrated cleat system offers peak power transfer and exceptional durability year after year. The customized fit and dual-sided entry will allow you to crank on the pedals in confidence and comfort- with no rider weight limit. The integrated cleat system with 3-axis adjustability allows you to precisely dial in your fit for optimized biometrics and increased power transfer. At release, the Zero is the only Wahoo Speedplay model that will be compatible with other axle lengths (56, 59, 65 mm), sold as an axle-only option that will require informed installation.
A challenge for the original Speedplay pedals was that the spring retention and rotation system only covered about 40% of the circumference of the pedal. Combined with the cleat design, this did allow any sand or grit to release from the system, but also created an opportunity for uneven wear, which would lead to side to side rocking that wore the body and cleat down over time. By moving to a 360° ring around the edge of the body this issue will be eliminated, and the cleat allows grains and grit to escape. The second important change is a redesigned axle and bearing system that visually resembles the old version, but it very different. The body now rides on triple sealed cartridge & needle bearings, and have a superior seal system. The grease port has been eliminated as Wahoo is confident you will never need to grease them. on the inboard side of the axle, the flats for a pedal wrench are gone, and an 8mm Hex is required to install, accessed from behind the pedal axle.
The cleat system has slight modifications, and is again designed for safer walking and protecting the cleat interface itself. The Standard Tension Cleat included with the Zero can be positioned on the bottom of the shoe and adjusted fore-aft (14mm), left-right (8mm) and rotationally, allowing between 0-15° of float. The textured rubber of the walkable body offers grip across multiple surfaces and is more durable. The cleat cover cap carries over as well. Older Speedplay Walkable Zero type cleats and pedals are cross compatible with the new Wahoo offered cleats and pedals. X-Series are not. A #2 Phillips head screwdriver is used to adjust the float rotation, release angle.
Thanks to the pedal and cleat design, as well as as the stock 53mm Q-factor, the Speedplay Zero has a best in class 39 degree cornering clearance. The low, efficient stack height of the pedal-cleat system is again tops, though it varies with your shoe cleat interface, at 11.5mm with 3 hole set-ups, or ultra low at 8.5mm with the rare 4-hole option. Please know that some smaller shoes or shoes with more curvature in the cleat mounting zone may not sit flush, though you have the ability to make this work in most cases.
Overall, time will tell if Wahoo has nailed their engineering fixes, but the company is confident. All of the great features you loved with Speedplay are here in the new version, along with axle length options, and for cyclists who prize impressively durable performance and longevity the Zero is top option. If the market is consistent, the Zero will be our best selling Wahoo Speedplay pedal, and for all the right reasons.
- Super durable stainless steel dual-sided road pedal uniquely qualified to withstand the demands of everything from all-out road racing, gran fondo's and heavy training year after year
- Wahoo Speedplay pedal system with refined upgrades, carrying over virtually of the great features
- Only pedal system to provide independent 3-Axis Adjustability to optimize fit and enhance performance through better biomechanics
- Upgrades: 360° spring rotation retainer on body, new bearing and seal system that eliminates grease port, improved and simplified model spread, and cleat system
- Pedals allow up to 15° of float, allowing the heel to pivot around the center of the pedal
- Low stack provides a solid connection for a more fluid transfer of power with every pedal stroke, greater efficiency
- Zero and Standard Tension Cleat create a seamless integration for a streamlined profile with shoe
- Class leading cornering clearance, low stack height
- Body Material: Grivory GV-6H Composite
- Axle Material: Stainless Steel
- Rider weight limit: none
- Pedal installation requires an 8mm Hex key, to internal axle fitment through crank arm
- Bearing systems: Triple Sealed Cartridge & Needle Bearings
- Stack Height: 11.5mm (3 hole) 8.5mm (4 hole)
- Release Angle: Micro Adjustable from 0° to 7.5°
- Pedal Float: Adjustable from 0° to 15°
- Cornering Clearance: 39°
- Spindle length / Q-factor: 53mm (for Zero, 56, 59, 65mm axle lengths will be available)
- Cleat Fore-Aft Adjustability: up to 14mm | Cleat Left-Right Adjustability: up to 8mm
- Cleats: Standard Tension included, with Walkable adaptor/cover
- Color: Black
- Weight: 222 grams per pair (pedals only)