Cervelo S5 Force eTap AXS Bicycle 2023
Note: Component Specifications are subject to change due to supply chain challenges.
What do you do when you have one of the fastest, most efficient aero road frames in the pro peloton? Well, you make it faster and more efficient, of course! Welcome to the Cervelo S5 for 2023. With a resounding 2022 Tour de France GC win, dominating individual points classification, climber's jersey and a team 3rd place, Team Jumbo-Visma took full advantage of the amazing bikes Cervelo provide for them. Equipment matters, as does how it delivers the rider's power and skill to the road, and saves rider energy with aerodynamic design and efficiency. Jumbo-Visma and the S5 proved exceptional in a field of amazing athletes and bicycles, and you can ride the same frameset as these World Tour pro's. Built here with SRAM's Force eTap AXS groupset and optimally designed Reserve 52|63 aero carbon wheels, you can ride at speeds you haven't yet attained, while enjoying an impeccable handling/control package, and setting some new personal goals.
Think of the S5 frameset as a pure result of iterative design and a drive to explore the limits of bicycle aerodynamics. The previous generation was fast, but the 2023 is faster, a bit lighter, more comfortable to ride and has a more lively feel. Speed is attained through impressively improved aerodynamics of the frameset, as well as how the frameset and an advanced aero wheel design interact with each other for more efficiency. This S5 design has reduced drag and increased the frame’s surface area while still reducing overall weight. The deeper frame sections maximize the shapes now allowed by the UCI. Cervelo was able to deepen their proven aero profiles and squeeze 65 more grams of drag performance out of what was already the fastest aero bike on the market. You’ll notice a deeper head tube and bottom bracket zone, as well as more aggressive shaping on the trailing edges of the tubes. Given that the S5 is only compatible with electronic shifting, the designers were were able to refine as small a detail as the rear dropout for an incremental gain, other small shapes and zones on the frameset.
One striking aspect of the last S5 was the proprietary triangular V-stem and handlebar system, which, in line with integrated internal cable routing also offered a cleaner aero front of the bike. The design was adjustable and modular, but complicated, due to integration of the stem and headset system with the proprietary S5 carbon fork. The engineers have cracked that problem, and the iconic V-stem has been further refined for simpler use and adjustment and a new fork been designed to simplify the entire front end of the bike. Now you don't require a top-level mechanic to make adjustments. The S5's V-stem not only inspires confident handling at high speeds, it's now also remarkably simple to dial in your perfect set-up. All the necessary spacers come with the bike, and there’s now only one bolt length, reducing complexity and making the system 53g lighter in the process. The handlebar itself has also been made sleeker, with better hand-to-lever transitioning and an easy 0-5° angle adjustment with infinite positioning within that range. You can truly find that commanding, aggressive racing posture you've always desired, and fully trust the strength and stiffness of the carbon modular assembly in the roughest sprint, attacking on a climb, and railing the descent.
Taking it further, the complete S5 bikes feature the ground-breaking wheel design concept that been co-developed with Reserve to increase stability and reduce drag in turbulent aero conditions. The partners developed a completely innovative way of engineering and testing wheels to perform optimally in turbulent aerodynamic conditions. Wind tunnels usually measure performance in ideal "laminar" flow situations- but such conditions are unrealistic in the real world. The experts within Cervelo helped Reserve develop rim profiles that stall less dramatically at greater yaw angles. In riding terms the wheel becomes more stable (not less), as if it is more planted- or connected to the road surface, and thus more confidence inspiring. The Reserve 52|63 Wheelset is 50g faster in laminar (traditional) flow, and 54g faster in turbulent flow than the outgoing Reserve 50|65 combo. Properly engineered wider wheels and tires can be truly faster aerodynamically, and more forgiving to ride. The S5 comes spec'ed with 28mm tires but has clearance for up to a 34mm (measured) tire. The frameset is co-optimized to complement the wider Reserve 52|63 turbulent aero wheels. In addition to the handling benefits, this saves over 5 watts compared to the previous Reserve wheelset.
SRAM's Force eTap AXS wireless shifting system is known for it's reliable, quick shifting response throughout the ratios and gearing combos of it's 12-speed 48-35T x 10-33T drivetrain featuring the Force crankset with an integrated Quarq power meter. This will be your driving Force-equipped S5 through all race and weather conditions, keeping you in control with the Force HRD hydraulic disc braking system, which serves to tame the Reserve 52|63 aero carbon wheelset. When it's time to throw down, the 2023 Cervelo S5 Force eTap AXS Bicycle is good to go.
- Impressively fast, aero, and successful evolution of the S5, built into a complete bike with a SRAM Force eTap AXS groupset and a co-developed Reserve 52|63 carbon wheelset
- Frameset features 65 more grams of drag performance than predecessor
- 2023 Updated proprietary carbon V-shaped modular stem and aero road bar system
- System is now simpler, safer, and easier to adjust/change overall height and bar angle
- S5 Carbon Frame/Fork: 12/142 / 12/100mm Thru-axle spacing, Flat Mount disc brakes, braze-on front derailleur, PF BBright BB shell; FSA Headset IS2 1-1/8" x 1-3/8"
- Groupset: 12-speed SRAM Force eTap AXS HRD (wireless shifting/hydraulic disc braking)
- eTap AXS: Shift/Brake Levers, Rear Derailleur; w/battery & charging dock; AXS App BLE management
- Brakes: Force HRD Flat Mount Calipers, Paceline CL 160mm disc rotors
- Crankset/BB: Force AXS 48-35T w/ SRAM-Quarq Power Meter / SRAM DUB Ceramic BBright
- Cassette/Chain: XG1270, 10-33T / 12s Force Flattop
- Handlebar/Tape: Cervelo HB14 Carbon, internal routing with proprietary V-Stem / Cervelo Grip tape
- Stem: Cervelo ST35 Carbon; V-shaped with proprietary fork/bar system, internal routing
- Seatpost: Cervélo SP20 Carbon Aero Post, 15mm offset
- Saddle: Selle Italia NOVUS BOOST EVO SuperFlow Ti
- 48cm | Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 80mm, Crank length: 165mm
- 51cm | Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm | Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 58cm | Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 175mm
|Top Tube Length||520mm||535mm||550mm||565mm||581mm|
|Head Tube Length||69mm||87mm||109mm||130mm||157mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||72.5mm||72.5mm||70mm||70mm||67.5mm|
|Applies to all S5 disc brake models since 2019, including 2023 release.|