Mavic Allroad Elite Disc UST Rear Wheel
This Allroad Elite Disc Rear Wheel is one of Mavic's best selling disc wheel options. Matched with the front (sold separately) you can have a durable, smooth tiding highly capable allroad disc wheelset. The central design feature of Mavic's Elite-series wheels over the years has been the use of steel, double-butted, bladed spokes and the application of FORE drilling into the sealed Maxtal rim, for use with a special threaded insert that carries the spoke. This allows the Elite to run high tension, but still have a more supple ride than the aluminum spoke versions. The spokes also ride into the hubs, which retains the spokes in tension, but allows them to move (float) vertically when impact forces the rim to react strongly. This saves the rider, and the rim from damage. Largely for these reasons- performance, comfort, and durability, we love the Allroad Elite Disc Rear Wheel, as the riding can be rough, long, and far from home.
The Elite Allroad UST Disc rim pushes out to a 22mm internal width, capable of carrying 28-62mm tires. The hook design is that of the UST standard, and with the sealed rim design and the proper valve, UST tubeless set-up is easy. The rim structure is extruded from Mavic's lightweight, yet strong Maxtal alloy, then joined with the SUP welded and milled joint system. Mavic employs the ISM 4D milling process to reduce as much material from the rim as possible without compromising strength, and now offers smooth features that contribute to improved rim aerodynamics. This disc specific rim is inherently strong and manages the high tension and rough roads you long to ride.
Mavic machines the stealthy, yet stout, Center Lock disc brake hub from aluminum and equips them with oversized alloy axles and QRM series sealed cartridge bearings. The oversized axles allow for flexibility of dropout options, but this rear wheel comes as 12/142mm rear. You can optionally run standard 135mm quick release, with endcaps that are sold separately. This rear hub carries the excellent ID 360 freehub system, which has dual ratchets that contact every 9° and are protected by a large contact-less rubber seal, which reduces in-freehub friction. The self adjusting QRM Auto bearings are used in the rear wheel. You will never have to worry about adjustment, and the high quality bearings roll smooth and free through high mileage. You get speed, control, acceleration, and great reliability in this hub and freehub's easy-to-service design.
The wheel is laced with 24 spokes with Mavic's Isopulse system on the asymmetric rim. Optimized for the asymmetric set-up, Isopulse delivers a perfectly aligned radial pattern on the driveside, and is opposed on the non-drive side by a 2x lacing. You get incredible acceleration, and system ideally resists torque that comes from the power of the disc brake system. Again, ride quality is much smoother than one would expect, especially with large volume tires.
In fact, Mavic supplies a Yksion Elite Allroad XL UST tire in the 700x40mm size. The single compound tire features a fast rolling directional tread pattern and single durometer rubber, which is engineered for durability and ride quality. The giveaway here is the 120 TPI casing, which is protected by a flexible, but tough, cross woven, bead to bead, polymide breaker. Max pressure is 65psi, though generally you will be running less. Included is a bottle of Mavic's Tire Sealant for UST set-up. You can also run 28-42mm tires with tubes, and make sure you only run UST approved tire for tubeless use.
You get Mavic's UST sealant & syringe, the UST valve, and instructions. The hub and decals have a grey-ish hue, and the rest of the wheelset is black. As the road gets less traveled, you need a reliable wheel that doesn't compromise performance or ride quality so you can keep your eye on the horizon, then the next,
- Allroad disc rearwheel with UST capability, wider rims, adjustable bearings
- Rim spec: 22mm internal, 26mm external, 21mm asymmetrical profile height
- UST sealed rim built with Maxtal alloy, SUP welded/milled joint, FORE drilling/nipple system, ISM 4D machining, can carry tires 28-42mm wide
- Hub machined from aluminum for Center Lock disc rotors, straight pull spokes, oversized alloy axle and QRM sealed cartridge bearings with ID360 interchangeable freehub system
- Spokes are Mavic's proprietary steel, straight pull, double-butted spokes with FORE alloy integrated nipple
- Wheel lacing: Isopulse on asymmetric rim- radial drive, 2x non-drive rear
- Hub can be used with optional Mavic endcaps for QR use
- Tire: Mavic Yksion Elite Allroad XL UST in 700x40mm, max 65psi, 120TPI, bead to bead polymide protection breaker
- Mavic includes: 12/142 endcaps, UST tubeless valves, bottle of sealant, multi-function tool, UST instructions
- 135mm QR endcaps available- sold separately
- Weight limit: 265lbs
- Disc interface: Center Lock
- Freehub: Shimano 11s road
- Color: Black
- Weight: 925 grams (wheel w/o tire)