Black Inc Black Thirty Allroad Rim Wheelset
Black Inc reworked their road wheel line-up for 2020 and late in the year the updated rim brak version was released. Formerly there was a 17mm internal width road 30mm design, then an AR Disc-only model with a 21mm internal width and 30mm external. The Thirty AR offered superior footprint and stability, with extra strength with a slight weight gain. Now Black Inc offers the Thirty Rim brake clincher, in the usual 30mm depth, now with the AR's 21mm internal width, and the 30mm full aero width. It is now referred to as the Allroad version. The goal was to create a rim brake version that was aero optimal with a 28mm tire, and could handle large tires with the proper shape and form, while being capable of more diverse surface conditions. Now it can be used with road rim brakes with 30mm tire clearance, as well with cantilever rim brakes for cyclocross or fast gravel use.
The wheel has been developed as more a pure all-around road race weapon, with the strength capabilities required the cross and gravel worlds. The fast acceleration of the lightweight rim, along with the longer, but high tension spoke lengths for the 30mm profile mean the design is fast and responsive for all handling requirements, but forgiving and resilient on rough surfaces. The rim brake rims are constructed by Black Inc from HD (high modulus) carbon and the design features a CFD driven shaped for improved aerodynamics and strength. The rim shape is proprietary and specific to the actual rim depth, and is coupled with greater width to make for perfect contours, function and silhouette. The internal rim and external rim combination width is the best combination for road tires from 28-30mm, can range down to 25mm, and larger. Black Inc struck a rare balance with this design, not too wide but with with an real aero advantage, yet capable of carrying up to 40mm tires- not likely in a rim brake set-up but 32-35mm work great with most cantilever brakes. In the furor to build all road capable wheels, many manufacturers simply approached this concept as "wider is better", when in reality the correct rim width for its chosen application is always best.
At the center of the wheelset lies the Black Inc + CeramicSpeed rim brake hubset. These feature cold forged hub shells with super-smooth CeramicSpeed bearings and a completely serviceable and interchangeable freehub body system. Both hub bearings and the freehub feature the ceramic bearings. These straight pull hubs are laced to the rims with both Sapim CX X-Ray butted lightly bladed, straight-pull spokes using internal SecureLock nipples and can be trued. The front wheel is laced in a radial position, with 20 spokes in high tension that holds maintains stability and strength, even in high speed corners, and technical conditions, The rear has 24 spokes, laced 2x/2x, offering both fast acceleration and responsiveness, while being forgiving to the rim and rider during impacts and rough conditions.
Perhaps the key performance factor in a full carbon rim brake wheel is the the brake track, which in this case not only must be engineered for braking reliability and control, but also work well with modern road brake calipers in both Direct Mount, and single bolt mount versions. With less space to work with the brake clearance and brake actuation the rim must offer proper friction for modulation and control. The Black Inc engineers developed a proprietary textured brake track that provides an 8% braking performance increase in dry conditions and a 13% increase in wet conditions. The best brake pads for this wheelset are provided and fit in Shimano and SRAM brake pad holders. The tubeless ready rim and pads have been optimized for heat management during extended braking, crucial for clincher and tubeless tires.
Beyond computers and smart engineering, the Black Inc family of wheels have been extensively tested in Pro Tour use. This ultimate testing ground provided a source of information to allow the final production wheels to achieve the ultimate in performance with real world durability and reliability. As with all products that hail from the Factor/Black Inc production facility, the craftsmanship is best of show and surpasses the quality of materials and construction of its competitors. At 1390 grams for such a capable wheelset, the Thirty Allroad Rim wheels will not only impress, but define your performance going forward.
- Allroad carbon tubeless ready wheelset for rim brakes, with 30mm aero lightweight profile
- Ideal for any attacking, aggressive road/allroad use, acceptable for cross or gravel
- Black Inc high modulus UD carbon tubeless ready rim with CFD-informed shape, proprietary brake track, and excellent heat management
- Textured brake track provides an 8% braking performance increase in dry conditions, a 13% increase when wet
- Both rims have 21mm internal / 30mm external dimensions for optimal aero with 28-30mm tires
- Full tire range is 700c x 25-40mm
- Option to run lower range of tire pressures in conjunction with tubeless tires
- Black Inc+CeramicSpeed, proprietary CNC machined alloy hub shells, rim brake hubset, custom ceramic bearings
- Sapim CX-Ray straight pull spokes with internal Secure Lock nipples
- Front: 20 hole, laced radial / Rear: 24h, laced 2x/2x
- Pre-taped for tubeless use with valves
- Road QR hubs: 100mm Front, 130mm Rear
- Includes: Tubeless valves, tubeless tape, brake pads (Shim/SRAM), titanium QR skewers
- Freehub: Shimano/SRAM 11spd (XDR and Campagnolo interchangeable freehubs available)
- Finish: UD Matte/Gray logos
- Weight: 1390 grams per pair