Ritchey Break-Away Road R8000 Bicycle
Ritchey's famous Road Logic frameset established standards for performance steel road bikes. The geometry and ride had to be responsive and properly balanced for rider weight distribution and ideal handling. The lateral stiffness was there, but not a huge priority, as there was a springy feeling that contributed a fluid propulsion and pedal response. When Tom Ritchey developed the Break-Away system for convenient travel, those Road Logic characteristics had to shine through despite the coupled design, and it sure did. Though the geometry has gotten more forgiving, the same ride qualities are here, truly representative of the best feature that steel road bikes promise. When you travel around the world you come across roads with rough pavement, packed dirt, cobblestones, and even some smooth pavement or concrete.
While bicycles engender a strong sense of self powered freedom and excitement, the constraints of the real world can impose limits. Yes, one can buy a vehicle with space, a rack system, or simply live where you dream of riding, but what if that means places, and not place. Traveling via airline, especially internationally, with a full size bike case is not only a chore, but can be a nightmare simply due it's size. Yet when traveling riding a bike you love, that has been built and fitted for you, is even more essential in the whirlwind of a weeklong vacation to Italy, or wherever. Ritchey has offered the best travel solution for years now, a frameset system and complete bike options that allow you to have a manageable travel bag, with reasonable assembly and packing, all while riding a high quality bike that was set-up for you. There has never been a better time to embrace the patented Ritchey Break-Away® design with this Break-AwaySteel Road Ultegra R8000 Bicycle. You get everything you want, and we can ensure you get everything you need, to fully exploit the roads around the world while you travel.
The Break-Away frameset is the foundation of this great bike has been heralded by mainstream cycling media as one of the most innovative travel options on the market today. The Break-Away concept has been proven to be the most practical, cost effective and convenient way to travel with a quality road bike.
Ritchey is famous for the heat-treated and triple-butted Ritchey Logic tubeset that is the foundation of the Break-Away Road Steel bike. The investment cast lugs of the seattube/totptube junction and Cro-moly compression coupling by the bottom bracket are the keys to the Break-Away design. The lugs securely grip the seatpost in two places and join the upper portion of main triangle to the rear. On the downtube, nearly at the bottom bracket shell, a formed compression coupling joins the tubeset in the lower connection for the front and rear triangles. The very simple coupler clamps unobtrusively around mated flanges on the downtube and creates a joint that truly results in stiffness that feels like the Road Logic. A perfectly matched WCS Carbon road fork is included with this frameset and the bike features clearance for most 700x28mm road tires for the best combination of a forgiving ride and lower rolling resistance resistance.
Shimano's second generation 11-speed Ultregra R8000 groupset is ideal for every road cycling experience and delivers most of the performance of Dura-Ace R9100, along with a fantastic dark grey finish. With cable actuated shift and brake efficiency that is matched by it's precision and reliability R8000 is ideal for the Break-Away Steel Road. The 50-34 crankset and BSC threaded bottom bracket, the lower profile front and rear derailleurs, greater rim brake caliper clearance for larger volume 28mm tires along with the proper angle and power for wider rims all speak to refinement and redesign from 1st generation 11-speed. The GS medium cage rear derailleur works perfectly with the 11-30T cassette, and has a max capacity for an 11-34.
Ritchey's Zeta Comp Wheelset is a durable, steady option, and great for travel with it's commonly available DT j-bend spokes. The 15mm internal width rims can be tubeless compatible with tape and valves, should you desire that option. The supplied tires are Ritchey's classic clincher Tom Slick in the 700x27mm size. The full WCS cockpit starts with the 27.2x350mm, 3D forged AL2014 WCS 1-Bolt Seatpost in the superb and durable Blatte finish. A Skyline Comp saddle in Black sits atop the post. Up front the industry leading WCS C220 Stem securely holds the 31.8mm WCS Logic II Alloy bar, with it's 78mm reach and 132mm drop. To finish the build off, the Comp Handlebar tape with it's vibration defeating cork base is comfortable in hand, and durable to use and travel.
The simple and durable 41.8mm WCS Integrated Drop-In headset for the 1⅛" headtube is included as part of the frameset and complete build, as are the full complement of cable splitters you need for derailleur and brake cables. The ability to break your complete bike down so it will fit into the included 8.5" x 26.5" x 31" travel case. This size is generally considered to be acceptable as standard luggage, and when your bike is packed in you will easily stay under the 50lb weight limit, meaning with most airlines you won't have additional luggage fees. The Break-Away travel case features handles and wheels to make travel easier. It also includes a packing kit to help protect bike components and frame tubes. The durable Cordura construction has reinforced corners and holds up to airline baggage handlers and TSA inspections.
This is a true road bike, with a nod to the modern and the classic, with a simplicity and durability you will appreciate as you travel, and a ride quality that will leave you with satisfied grin on your face all day long.
- Performance rim brake road steel complete bike with Break-Away travel system
- Equipped with 11-spd Ultegra R8000, Ritchey WCS and Comp components
- Modern touches like taller head tube, slight toptube slope, fork rake
- Classic steel frame ride quality and feel, with responsive handling
- Patented locking compression coupling system is simple and easy to use
- Ritchey heat treated, Cro-moly triple butted steel tubing, investment cast lugs
- Frame facts: 41.8mm Drop-in headset design, 27.2mm seatpost diameter, 28.6mm front derailleur clamp, 68mm BSC threaded bottom bracket shell, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, external cable routing
- Frame and fork fit up to 28mm tires (depending on tire manufacturer, rim width)
- Shimano: R8000 Dual Control levers, 50-34 crankset, Claml-on FD, GS RD, Chain, BSC bottom bracket cups, caliper brakeset; 105 11-30 cassette, 41.8mm Integrated Drop-In headset
- WCS Logic II handlebar, C220 stem, 1-bolt 27.2x350mm seatpost
- Comp: Skyline Black saddle, Black bar tape
- Wheelset: Zeta Comp rim brake, tubeless compatible, 100/130mm QR, HG11 freehub
- Tires: Tom Slick Comp 700x27mm, with tubes
- Others: Break-Away downtube clamps, cable splitters, travel case with packing system/detailed packing instructions
- Spec by size:
- XS: Crank 170mm, Stem 90mm, Bar 38cm
- Small: Crank 170mm, Stem 100mm, Bar 40cm
- Medium: Crank 172.5mm, Stem 100mm, Bar 42cm
- Large: Crank 172.5mm, Stem 110mm, Bar 42cm
- XL : Crank 175mm, Stem 120mm, Bar 44cm
- Sizes: XS (52.4 ETT), S (53.6 ETT), M (55 ETT), L (56.5 ETT), XL (58.2 ETT)
- Color: Black, Red
- Weight: TBD