Shimano Dura-Ace BR-R9110-R Direct Mount Brake Caliper
Shimano's embrace of direct mount caliper brakes was a partnership with a few large bike manufacturers. Certainly, there are advantages to the design. In general these calipers are lighter than dual-pivot versions, more aero when frame and fork design are designed for this purpose, and power is very consistent, as is pad contact and pull. When Shimano re-engineered the Dura-Ace 9100 group, upgrading the performance of the 9000 direct mount brakes was no small task. Still, the company increased power, made the design more aerodynamic and with assistance from adjustments made at the STI brake lever, the overall feel is more linear while requiring less effort. The result is greater predictability, less hand force to create more braking power and a sleeker design, with the new Near Black high-polish finish at just about the same weight for the standard frame/fork pair as the 9000 series.
The BR-R9110 Direct Mount Brake Calipers offer 28mm tire clearance, work with external rim widths from 20.8-28mm, and have the standard 51mm reach. The same angle and pivot adjustable magnesium pad holder and R55C4 standard Shimano brake pads offer a perfect set-up every time. The cable tension adjuster is tactile and easy to use. Shimano changed the function and finish position of the open/close lever. There is no longer a graduated adjustment and the lever aligns over the caliper arm when the brakes are closed for better aerodynamics. Shimano has maintained the same cable pull ratio as the 9000, 6800, 5800 series levers, so you can upgrade or replace your calipers as desired or required.
In order to improve overall power and aerodynamics, the aluminum caliper has been reshaped, with augmentation to provide greater stiffness and more consistent braking under heavy power. This may be noticeable more to heavier riders, or those who tend to brake as late as is feasible. It will take a truly sensitive rider to feel improvement in feel, as the 9000 series direct mount brakes were highly impressive in this regard, but most will notice subtleties when paired with 9100 series levers, as the ergonomics and leverage in the STI do feel different, despite the carry over of the cable pull ratio.
Shimano sets the industry standard for braking and Dura-Ace R9100 is no exception. Direct mount designs may offer the two fixed mounting points that eliminate a major engineering challenge of dual pivot brakes, but even more precision must be achieved to ensure proper brake pad alignment and closure to the rim. Even a slight error can result in poor braking and uneven rim pressure. Shimano has created a super smooth, linear feel with their SLR-EV standard and with added power and a cleaner profile, the BR-R9110 Direct Mount Brake Caliper will not only impress, but exceed rider expectations. Shimano offers the standard seatstay frame (BR-R9110-RS), and fork (BR-R9110-F) direct mount versions, as well as this special rear brake for under-chainstay, behind the bottom bracket design (BR-R9110-R) that is used on many aero road, time trial, and triathlon framesets. If you seek premium, feel, modulation and power, Shimano Dura-Ace delivers, and the 9100 series raises the bar higher.
- Direct mount style, premium SLR-EV road brake caliper for Shimano 11-speed levers, special rear brake for under-chainstay, behind the bottom bracket design
- Exceptional power, linear feel, with easy install and set-up, tire clearance to 28mm
- Increase in power with less effort when used with 9100/9150 STI levers
- Also compatible with 9000, 6800, and 5800 series 11-speed levers
- Pivoting, angling shoe cartridges, with R55C4 standard pads for alloy rims included
- Work with external rim widths from 20.8-28mm, and have the standard 51mm reach
- Angular design adds aerodynamics to strengthened aluminum caliper features
- Top quality springs, titanium pivots and hardware, accessible tool access for easy use
- Release lever now just open or closed, closed inline with caliper to reduce drag
- Clearance around tire crown for 28mm tires (tires vary with purpose/manufacturer)
- More control, better feel and power results in use predictability, rider confidence
- Sold as individual calipers with three models specific to mounting zone
- Options: Fork R9110-F, Seatstay R9110-RS, Under Chainstay behind BB R9110-R
- Color: Near Black fade with high-polish finish
- Weight: R9110-F 150g, R9110-RS 145g, R9100-R 139g