ENVE SES 3.4 AR Disc Wheelset
With the widespread advancement of disc brakes and specialization of wider forks with greater tire clearance, the proven aerodynamics of the Smart Enve System have been re-examined. The AR series wheels were developed in order to maximize the potential freedom afforded rim construction that does't require the strengthened, parallel brake track required by rim brakes or traditional deep channel clincher rims. The engineers could make the rim lighter, and the wheels more aerodynamic with slightly modified shapes, widths and depth. The SES 3.4 AR Disc Clincher Wheelset has been created to be your ultimate Tubeless Ready, 28-32mm tire, aerodynamic All Road wheel weapon that is more versatile than the 4.5 AR and optimized for climbing and descents. It is available with either Enve Alloy Disc or Industry Nine hubs.
When Enve Composites develops a wheelset featuring the company's incredible carbon rims, the intent is to develop race-level wheels that can be ridden every day. The Smart Enve System (SES) 3.4 AR Wheelset may be the company's best all around lower profile aero rim offering for those who plan to maximize the value of their wheel investment. Enve partnered with Simon Smart, a true aerodynamic guru, to develop the rim shapes, depths, and widths that best match the all around purpose of these wheels. The rim depths are Front 39mm, and Rear 43mm. The best part is you get Enve's proven proprietary molded carbon rims with continual UD fibers and molded spoke holes for maximum strength. As always, Enve uses the completely removable bladder system during construction to keep your wheels clean and light, inside and out.
This AR tubeless only (!), disc specific rim is lighter, stronger, and has tested faster than the standard road version, with less rolling resistance depending on tire/pressure variables. The tubeless ready rim bed adds strength closer to the outer rim surface, and Enve employs the hookless bead profile, tire-bed bead seat lock system that make tubeless work so well. The short bed adds incredible stiffness and tubeless ready bead tire retention. You can use a tube or not with a tubeless tire, but Enve says you cannot run standard clincher tires on these rims. Enve supplies tubeless rim tapes and valves to seal the deal, if you will. Optimally aero sized for 28-32mm tires, the rim width and tire shape generally adds about 2mm, so make sure you have proper frame-tire clearance. Enve calls 80 psi the max pressure allowed for 28mm tires, so again, choose your tire appropriately for your needs.
For the hubs, you get two choices. First, Enve has been collaborating with Industry Nine to utilize the precision and excellence that I9 has brought to road cycling. Industry Nine's j-bend spoke flange, Center Lock low drag, Teflon sealed Torch hubset will be the top choice for many Enve riders. The hubset is set-up here as you'd expect with 12/100mm front and 12/142mm rear thru-axle interfaces. Industry Nine's freehub bodies are interchangeable, and feature 6 degree engagement via a 3-pawl freehub on a 60-point drivering for exquisite engagement and precision at high or low speeds
Enve's Alloy Road Disc Hubset hubs feature Perfect Preload which means no more hub slop, frustrating adjustments, or prematurely worn bearings. Stainless steel bearings and races keep corrosion at bay, while premium external seals prevent contamination. The optimized flange spacing and geometry for responsive and optimally stiff wheel builds that inspire confidence when accelerating and cornering. The freehub body is machined from 7075 alloy and hard anodized to reduce cog bite. Additionally, the freehub body can be removed without tools and switching between Campy, Shimano, and SRAM options can be accomplished without re-dishing the wheel. Engagement is handled with a 40t ratchet-style drive system that delivers efficient and responsive power transmission in a highly reliable, virtually maintenance free package.optimized flange spacing and geometry for responsive and optimally stiff wheel builds that inspire confidence when accelerating and cornering. The free hub body is machined from 7075 alloy and hard anodized to reduce cog bite.
Additionally, the free hub body can be removed without tools and switching between Campy, Shimano, and Sram can be accomplished without re-dishing the wheel. Housed behind the free hub body is a 40t ratchet style drive system that delivers efficient and responsive power transmission in a highly reliable, virtually maintenance free package. Both alloy hubset options for the SES 3.4 AR Disc Wheelset feature 24 spokes, and are laced 2x/2x. Enve is now using Sapim spokes on all their wheels. The nipples are the Enve-specific inverted brass design, the only option rated for the rims..
The impressive credentials of the SES 4.5 AR Disc Wheelset are matched only by the day to day performance. If you are looking for the top-performing gravel / all road disc wheelset available, you have found it. We understand that if you are even looking at this Enve creation, you pretty much know what you are looking for and what to expect. Well, these wheels won't wait for you. If you do have any questions, please give us a call at 800.627.6664 and one of our experienced staff of cyclists will be happy to assist.
- Exceptional All Road, versatile, aerodynamic, very stable, fast carbon wheelset
- Developed/optimized for 28-32mm tubeless ready tires- not clincher compatible
- Can be used with wider tires, but loses aerodynamic benefit
- See Enve's site for up to date tire recommendations/restrictions
- Hookless bead profile, tire-bed bead seat lock for tubeless use only
- SES developed/patented aerodynamic rim shape, depth, and width
- Optimal wheel for climbs/descents, more versatile All Road uses than 4.5 AR
- Stable, sure, immediate response from this engineered wheelset
- Max recommended tire pressure with 28mm tire: 80psi; see Enve site for full ratings
- Studies show AR Disc rim with 28mm/80 psi tire has 2-3 watt less rolling resistance than the standard SES 3.4 rim
- Rim depth: Front 39mm, Rear 43mm
- Internal rim width: Front and Rear 25mm
- External rim width: Front and Rear 32mmmm
- Tubeless tire specific, w/wo tube, NOT compatible w/ standard clincher bead tires
- Tubeless rim tape and valves included
- Spoke count/lacing: Front & Rear 24h 2x/2x all around
- Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray SS black, lightly bladed, Enve brass inverted spoke nipples
- Hub axles set-up for 12/100mm 12/142mm thru-axle use
- Center Lock Disc hubset options
- I9 hubset: Torch 6 degree engagement, 3 pawl freehub, 60 point drivering
- Enve Alloy Disc hubset: 40t ratchet style drive system, easily serviced
- Available freehub options: Shim/SRAM 11, SRAM XDR 12, Campagnolo
- Finish: UD Carbon/Gloss Black Decals
- Weight: Industry Nine version - 1399 grams, Enve Alloy version - 1417 grams