Shimano Ultegra BR-R8000 Brake Calipers
A serious increase in power and a more linear brake path define the mechanical improvements of the Shimano Ultegra BR-R8000 Brake Calipers. Designed with the same features and technology of the Dura-Ace R9100 series calipers, the R8000 model is also designed for optimal use with R9100 and R8000 series dual control levers, but work well with 1st generation 11-speed from 9000 and 6800.
Visually and practically, the new design is much more angular, and you can see where the engineers favored adding and reducing the lightweight aluminum used. The pivots are larger, and the angles clearly offer some aerodynamic relief in those areas. A stabilizer between the pivots adds strength, but also helps to produce a more linear curve to the braking, which is noticeable to the cyclist through greater predictability. The new R8000 design accommodates tires up 28mm with proper clearance around the crown of the tire. A new lever design moves the closed position in-line with the arch of the caliper, for minor aerodynamic benefit. Though you still get and adjusting knob to increase or decrease cable tension, the resin open/close lever no longer has the graduated indexing. It is felt that with the greater clearance, proper set-up, and better overall performance that this feature is no longer necessary. All tool access is straightforward, making installation and service simple.
Shimano has always applied it's best springs, pivots and other hardware to Dura-Ace caliper brakes, and the 9100 is no exception. The Black fade anodized is both bold and stealthy at the same time, with a clean look overall. This is a powerful brakeset with a wonderful balance of feel and progressiveness that ensures ultimate braking confidence with a high quality rim brake track.
- SLR-EV Dual pivot caliper road brakeset with increased power, linear feel, clearance
- Serious increase in power when used with R8000/R9100 series levers
- Work with external rim widths from 20.8-25mm, and have the standard 51mm reach
- Pivoting, angling shoe cartridges, with R55C4 standard pads for alloy rims included
- Pivot stabilizer adds strength and power, increases linear feel
- Angular design adds aerodynamics to strengthened aluminum caliper features
- High quality springs, stainless steel pivots/hardware, accessible tool access
- Resin release lever just open/closed, closed inline w/ caliper arm to reduce drag
- Clearance around tire crown for 28mm tires (tires vary with purpose/manufacturer)
- More control, better feel and power results in use predictability, rider confidence
- Sold as a set, front and rear calipers with frame/fork mounting bolt length options
- Color: Black fade
- Weight: 360 grams (pair)