Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 11 Speed Cassette
The big news with the Ultegra CS-R8000 11 Speed Cassette is, well, it now comes bigger. The increased call for overall drivetrain range for road, gravel, road, and endurance cycling prompted Shimano to fully invest the R8000 drivetrain with more capability. You get the standard popular cassette options, but add an 11-34 combination to the stable.
The new Ultegra RD-R8000 Shadow Rear Derailleur comes in two sizes, SS (short cage), and GS (mid-cage). Cassettes up to 11-30 are compatible with the SS version, while the 11-32 and 11-34 requires the GS model. This set-up is also fully compatible with Dura-Ace R9000 / R9100 so if you need more gearing on your Dura-Ace bike, you can opt for the Ultegra R8000 GS rear derailleur and wider range cassette options.
Shimano delivers an incredible amount of systems engineering in the shape, tooth design, and shifting gates in their cassettes that nothing shifts smoother, faster, or more reliably. The Ultegra R8000/HG800 cassettes feature precision made nickel-plated steel cogs that wear slowly and resist corrosion. Two groupings of 3 and 2 respectively are pinned to anodized aluminum spiders, while the remaining 6 cogs are individual. An anodized aluminum lockring holds the assembly together when mounted on the freehub. If you install the cassette yourself, take a long look at how each cog is made, and how each cog is aligned to it's neighbors. So much of what we take for granted with Shimano cassettes is intricately detailed in plain view, and no company holds as many shifting related patents as Shimano does.
- 11-speed cassettes for Shimano road drivetrains with new range option
- Highly engineered cogs deliver premier shifting and durability
- Nickel-plated steel cogs, anodized aluminum spiders, lockring
- 11-34 HG-800 is compatible with Shimano road & mountain 11-spd freehubs
- 11-32, 11-34 require R8000 GS mid-cage rear derailleur for road use
- 14-28 commonly used for Junior race gearing
- Compatible chains: HG-EV 11-speed / HG-X11
- 11-25: 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25
- 11-28: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
- 11-30: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30
- 11-32: 11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32
- 11-34: 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30-34
- 12-25: 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25
- 14-28: 14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-23-25-28
- Color: Nickel-plated
- Weight: 335 grams (11-34)
AnonymousPosted on 8/15/2018
I had to upgrade from my old Shimano triple chainring since it is no longer supported. I was psyched to be able to get the 11-34 cassette with the compact crank. After riding it for a month, I am even more psyched! The range is excellent, and the low gears give an old guy the ability to spin up steep climbs even down to 4 or 5 mph! I am still getting used to the setup as far as shifting habits, but I salute Shimano for offering the lower gearing. The whole Ultegra R8000 group shifts like a dream.
Pros Sweet shifting and incredible low end range