Reynolds AR29 X Rim Brake Wheelset
As a real upgrade from the AR29 RB, the AR29 X RB may be the better wheel for those who will truly push them through punchy climbs and descents on pavement or in Allroad situation where quick reactions can spare you damage. A hub upgrade with better engagement, along with advances in spokes and lighter nipples- not to mention improved finishing- all contribute a lighter (1390 grams) and more responsive wheelset.
Rim brake cycling enthusiasts will always love lightweight carbon wheels as standard equipment, even for allroad use, which may include dirt, urban, pavement, and mixed-surface roads. The wider rims allow for greater range, matching many of today's framesets. The AR29 X RB features a 29mm profile that is modestly aero, especially with 25-28mm tires, and more forgiving then deeper section wheels. Having a 27mm max external rim width (19mm IRW) when running 25-30mm "road" tire gives the rider more grip, control, stability and comfort over various road surfaces with tubeless or clincher tires, but you can safely put any 23-38mm tubeless tires to good use on this design. Remember, tire size will be limited by rim brake caliper design. Cantilever frames/brakes offer the greater capacity for cross-gravel widths. Reynolds includes their Cryo-Blue Power brake pads for use on the seriously improved Ctg2 brake track. Using the combination a can reduce heat build-up by about 30% over the first generation, which was actually reasonably good in this area.
The Reynolds AR X series wheels feature their excellent Allroads hubset, the product of a collaboration with Industry Nine. Machined shells, oversized alloy axles, higher quality sealed cartridge bearings, a super durable and resistant anodized finish are all improvements, but the 4 pawl, 10 degree engagement of the interchangeable freehub systems is fast, sure, and solid while minimizing friction. The Sapim spokes are the CX-Sprint bladed versions, and they are laced with lighter, but still serviceable exterior alloy nipples. Water slide graphics and and a painted rim finish show quality with subtle flair and better longevity. In this rim brake version, the front wheel carries 20 spokes, laced radial, while the rear wheel has 24, laced 2x/2x. The hubs come set-up for road quick release use with a 100mm spaced front hub axle, and the rear the standard130mm spacing. Quick releases are included. 25mm tubeless tape comes installed, and Reynolds adds their 45mm tubeless valves, though you can certainly run clincher tires if preferred. The finished wheel design offers a serious footprint and excellent crosswind stability. The wheels accelerate quickly, handle great, and maximize the benefits of tubeless tires in proper widths. Make sure you register your wheels through the Hayes/Reynolds website for excellent protection and coverage.
- Upgraded low profile carbon rim brake wheelset for intended for allroad (AR) use, Tubeless Ready
- Hubset, spokes, nipples, finish system, weight all upgraded from standard AR29 version
- Rim specs: 29mm depth, 19mm internal rim width, 27mm max external rim width
- Wide, PR3 design, tubeless ready rim provides better fit for higher volume tires that increase grip, lower rolling resistance and provide greater comfort
- Rims can be used with clincher or tubeless tires (we'd recommend 25-35mm w/ clincher use)
- Refined, wider rim shapes have been optimized for crosswind stability at a variety of yaw angles
- Ctg2 brake track is 30% more resistant to heat than previous models with Cryo-Blue Power brake pads
- Track features Reynolds BWI integrated system ( Brake Wear Indicator)
- Spokes/lacing: Sapim CX-Sprint bladed, straight pull, front-20 laced radial, rear-24 in 2x/2x; external alloy nipples
- Hubset: Straight Pull Reynolds Allroad, w/4 pawl, 10° engagement, interchangeable freehub
- Axle type: 100mm QR front, 130mm QR Rear
- Comes with 25mm tubeless tape installed, 45mm tubeless valves, lifetime warranty (register through Reynolds-Hayes), user manual
- Recommended tubeless tire range: 25-38mm (25-28 optimal aero benefit with road tires)
- Regardless of rim/tire size capability, your frame and rim brake system will dictate width/volume range
- Freehub options: Shimano 11s, SRAM XDR 12s
- Finish: Carbon w/ Black water slide
- Weight: 1390 grams (listed)