Castelli Alpha ROS Jacket
Castelli's Alpha series jackets have continually created new standards for lightweight protection, comfort and overall cycling performance. With the release of the ROS (Rain or Shine) edition, the bar climbs higher. Until now, your cycling wardrobe has consisted of clothing for dry weather and separate clothing for wet weather. You never wore your wet-weather clothing in dry conditions because it was too clammy inside and too flappy outside. And your dry-weather clothing just didn’t hold up to rain. The Gabba and Perfetto family helped bridge that gap, but the Alpha ROS takes it to another level.
Castelli began the design by keeping everything that made the original Alpha Jacket your favorite dry-weather jacket: the two-layer construction to separate the insulation layer from the outer shell, the double front opening to diffuse the cold air when you open up to ventilate, the excellent breathability, the flat wrist and waist openings, the articulated collar, the insanely soft stretch fabrics, and the great fit. So what allowed for the upgrade with the ROS version? Simple- advanced fabric technology from the experts at Gore. By using the new Windstopper® 105 light rain-resistant membrane, with the added protection of a DWR treatment, selective seam sealing, careful seam placement and construction, and a waterproof YKK® Vislon® zipper, the Castelli design team made the jacket essentially waterproof while not compromising the characteristics that made it such a great dry-weather jacket.
The outdoor industry has traditionally determined what counts as waterproof: minimum 10,000 mm water column and complete seam taping. But that definition means too many compromises in the overall usability of the jacket, in the softness, in the fit, and in the jacket’s overall ability to keep you dry and comfortable by maximizing breathability. So Castelli set their own definition of real-world usability and went out and tested this on the nastiest days of the Italian fall. An occasional drop might come in through a seam, but you’re going to stay warm and dry because the jacket keeps nearly all water out from the outside while letting most moisture out from the inside. This jacket feels like a game changer because of the combination of the most crucial features, with zero compromises.
- Premium shoulder season jacket with Rain or Shine engineering provides insulation and breathability for cold and dry rides, with effective waterproofing for wet rides
- Stretch fabrics with advanced patterning make for an excellent close-to-body fit that still accommodates a wide range of body types
- Gore® Windstopper® 150 fabric provides wind protection with high breathability and effective rain protection
- Seam sealing on shoulders, reduced seaming/double stitching keep you mostly dry
- Alpha construction separates wind/water protection layer from insulating layer
- Better ventilation and better moisture evaporation thanks to separate insulating layer
- Partially covered waterproof YKK® Vislon® zipper slides easily and lies flat
- Tall, soft collar keeps you warm and dry with zero chafing
- Raw-edge waist lies flat and moves with you
- Raw-edge wrist cuffs lie flat for a perfect interface with gloves
- 3 rear pockets with reflective laser-cut drain holes
- Rated for cold or dry weather in temps from 23°-50°F
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, XL, XXL
- Color: Light Black
- Weight: 515 grams (Medium)