Ritchey Break-Away Pro Road Frameset
The Ritchey Break-Away Pro Road Frameset makes it easy to travel with a full-size bike that rides just like a regular road bike. It features a patented system that is lighter, requires no special tools and faster to use than other travel bike systems. The Break-Away road packs into the included 8.5" W x 26.5"H x 31"L travel case with wheels. Ritchey does not guarantee what the airlines will charge, but most find it is usually much less than a full-size bike case and it is much easier to handle and manage while traveling. You can enjoy your ideal bike fit and familiar equipment without deal with the inconsistencies and challenges of renting.
With this frameset release we see Ritchey moving to a geometry that offers a taller headtube, which moves it away from the classic Logic steel frame but adds greater fit range for many cyclists. The fork gets upgraded to the 1⅛ WCS Carbon, and the excellent riding Ritchey heat treated, Cro-moly butted steel tubing delivers a smooth responsive ride that only well built steel frames can offer. Of course the drop-in style headset is also included.
The investment cast lugs of the seattube/totptube junction and Cro-moly compression coupling by the bottom bracket are the keys to the Break-Away design. The lugs securely grip the seatpost in two places and join the upper portion of main triangle to the rear. On the downtube, nearly at the bottom bracket shell, the compression coupling forms the lower connection for the front and rear triangles. The coupler clamps unobtrusively around small flanges on the downtube.
This simple and effective design only adds 100 grams to the frame. Only a 4mm and 5mm Allen wrench and the removal of two bolts are required to take apart or assemble the frame. Cables are separated with these easy to use cable splitters. Ritchey includes a full complement of derailleur and brake cable splitters, along with the compression coupling. You supply the group and wheels of your choice. Max tire size on today's wider rims is generally 700x25, but manufacturer variation may allow for more. This is a true road bike, with a nod to the modern and the classic, with a simplicity and durability you will appreciate as you travel, and a ride quality that will leave you with satisfied grin on your face all day long.
- Full size steel road bike frame that can be split apart into a travel case
- Modern touches like taller head tube, slight toptube slope, fork rake
- Classic steel frame ride quality and feel, with responsive handling
- Patented locking compression coupling system is simple and easy to use
- Ritchey heat treated, Cro-moly butted steel tubing, investment cast lugs
- External cable routing, downtube/seattube bottle cage bosses, integrated headtube
- Requires 28.6 front derailleur clamp, 27.2x350mm+ seatpost
- Includes reusable nylon/cloth packing protection kit
- Includes wheeled Travel case, 1 1/8" WCS Carbon fork/steerer, drop -in headset
- Sizes: S, M, L, XL
- Color: Silver
- Frameset weight: 5.2lbs Medium (frame and fork)