Stages Dash L50 Cycling Computer
How many of you have longed for a GPS cycling computer that is mounted, viewed, operated and managed from a cyclists' perspective? What if it also had the best training features available, with simple upload/download transfer procedures? The unit must also be made with quality materials, have a user friendly app, and be future-proof from a firmware perspective. With the Dash L50, Stages has not only built a head unit with features and technology to win you over, but also created perhaps the most cyclist-friendly large model on the market. We believe you'll love the ergonomics, buttons, screen, maps, use of color indicators for quick visual reference, and the smart, secure mount system that Stages has developed. The Dash L50 sits at the top of the line-up and is priced and spec'ed to go head-to-head with best selling large units in the cycling GPS computer market, and win.
The Stages Dash L50 was developed, designed, and tested by the cyclists that work at Stages and their accomplished group of cycling friends here in Boulder. As such, considerable care was given to how the rider interacts with a head unit as they ride. As opposed to long, exposed out front style mounts, the Stages mounting system brings the unit up to the bar, with a solid feel and sure connection. The unit is close at hand and you can set the angle you prefer, as well as a portrait or landscape layout. The button layout is simple and intuitive in either layout, though it is designed for right handedness. With the physical set-up nailed, the focus turns to the EverBrite color screen of the Dash L50. This 68mm (2.7", diagonal) low power, high resolution screen with backlight has adjustable brightness, an auto dim mode and night mode, which has a black background. The images and colors are sharp and defined, even in sunlight and works well with most optically enhanced sunglass lenses short of true polarization. The battery life is up to to 14 hours real world runtime (with GPS, live recording) with the backlight at 30% screen brightness.
The user-friendly characteristics carry forward into the user interface, with a fully customizable layout. Initial Dash setup can be handled via the Stages Link app from your smartphone or on the Dash unit itself, with much to choose from: landscape or portrait mode, user defined profiles, preset and custom screen layouts and contents with up to 16 data fields per screen. The use of colors for quick reference and key information is very effective; for example the color-coded power and HR zones and interval progress graph. No need to stare at the unit, just a quick change of eye-level with minimal effort to identify where you are physically as you train. You get everything you need and want: advanced power metrics including TSS, IF and Normalized Power; FTP and heart rate zone estimator and on-unit power meter management (pair, zero reset, view battery status). The Dash L50 is preloaded with workouts; more can be added via .FIT files from Stages LINK or 3rd party apps, as well as a Training Calendar and advanced analytics available via the free Stages LINK app. File and transfer wise, you can easily work with .FIT, .GPX, and .TCX files. Data transfer can be handled via USB or Bluetooth and the Stages LINK app pairs with Dash for ride file downloads, detailed analysis and ride history, and pushes to 3rd party apps including Strava, TrainingPeaks and more.
For GPS and mapping features,Stages utilizes a comprehensive Satellite Network: GPS and QZSS with SBAS fast connection. The Dash L50 can utilize GPS based current, average and max speed, distance, and ride/lap time with auto start/stop. Of course you can also rely on a connected speed sensor as well. The unit is preloaded with base maps (North America) with additional regions available for free download (up to 15gb). You have Turn-by-Turn course navigation with on-screen notifications and audio alerts, along with Points of Interest including bike shops, cafes, pubs, gas stations and rest stops. Cycling specific OSM-based with color coded roads, bike routes, paths and trails make life on the bike simpler and safer. A free custom course builder via Stages Link including user-defined points of interest (city limit signs, etc) is easy to use and transfer. The GPS system (and barometric altimeter) allows for course climbing/elevation profile including progress and color-coded percent grade.
Of course this a smart cycling computer and the Stages Link App offers a great interface with your phone's operating system (iOS or Android). You can push smart notifications at your choice. Audio and/or visual alerts are also user selectable for all features. Communication wise the Dash L50 offers Bluetooth LE, USB, and ANT+. The unit has internal temperature recording, is ANT+ and Bluetooth HR strap, Speed/cadence sensor compatible, and Power Meter compatible. Stages is using a stable and reliable rechargeable LiPo battery that is charged with a USB cord from the unit. The secure Dash mounting system includes aluminum bar mounts, and the standard 31.8mm road bar out front (but close to stem) version is included with the unit, while a comprehensive series of other mount styles are sold separately. All documentation is provided, though the Stages Link App is very friendly and easy to use.
We are extremely impressed with the Stages Dash L50 and gratified Stages took extra time to ensure it was fully up to the task. You will be able to fully focus your energy on the training and data, and not on complicated or step driven interfaces. The Dash L50 allows you to maximize and enjoy your cycling experience.
- Full featured GPS cycling computer with color screen, mapping, connectivity
- Optimized for the cycling experience with layout, set-up, ergonomics, options
- Quality construction and case with aluminum mount and mount interface system
- GPS and QZSS w/ SBAS (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, and GAGAN) fast connection
- BLE, ANT+, and USB; data transfer- Sync rides, workouts via BLE or USB
- Fully supported for set-up, use, transfer, smart notifications via Stage Link App
- Stages EverBrite™ 2.7" full color, high resolution screen with backlight, user-selectable brightness and auto dim mode, w/ Night Mode (black background)
- Intuitive menu-based screens for easy setup via Stages Link app on phone or Dash
- Cycling-specific OSM-based with color coded roads, bike routes, paths, trails; POI
- Follow courses in .FIT, .GPX or .TCX file formats
- Free custom course builder via Stages Link including user-defined points of interest
- Turn-by-Turn course navigation with on-screen notifications and audio alerts
- Preloaded with base maps (North America), additional regions available for free download
- Course climbing/elevation profile including progress and color-coded percent grade
- Fully featured and connected powermeter application and metrics
- Free Stages LINK app pairs with Dash for ride file downloads, detailed analysis and ride history and pushes to 3rd party apps including Strava, TrainingPeaks, etc
- IPX7 waterproof rating
- Rechargeable LiPo battery with 12.5 hour run time in real life use
- Dimensions: 85mm wide x 73mm tall x 20mm depth (landscape)
- Lightweight aluminum (22g) low profile 31.8mm out-front bar mount included
- Includes: USB cable, leash, Torx wrench, documentation
- Color: Black/Aluminum
- Weight: 126 grams