Garmin Edge 520 Plus Bundle
This Edge 520 Plus Bundle includes Garmin's ANT+ individual Speed and Cadence sensors for your bike, plus Garmin's Soft Strap Premium Heart Rate Monitor and saves you some money versus buying individually.
Garmin's Edge 520 GPS cycling computer/head unit has a strong reputation with racing and training cyclists, for whom it primarily developed. In releasing the Edge 520 Plus, Garmin seeks to gain new converts and improve features that target a larger market, in particular those cyclists who may not be racing, but enjoy using courses, challenges, and adventure to guide their cycling experience. As such many of these riders won't be training on the same roads and loops every day. By adding the ability to download more maps to the base region map, and increasing memory to add up to to 100 routes, the primary upgrade to the 520 is the ability for turn-by-turn directions of the courses and the ability to set saved points (up to 200) that allow you get return directions or a specific location- off the basemap, not the loaded course. You cannot input an address into the head unit and get routable directions, but if use saved points smartly, you can pre-plan options without loading more course information. While there are other improvements as well, it is the TBT direction capability that will draw more users to this already fantastic GPS cycling computer.
One of the key features of the Edge 520 was the ability to utilize Strava Live Segment challenges. Live segments lets you know your leaderboard placing in real time. Your starred Strava segments and a curated group of Strava's most popular segments automatically sync with Edge 520 for live feedback during your ride. The 520 provides an announcement when your starred Strava segment is about to begin, up-to-the-second updates of your PR attempt, then instant results once the segment is complete. Now you also use the Strava Routes App to have access to all of your rides, upload to the Edge 520 Plus and get the full turn by turn directions, time estimates, etc.
One important aspect of the Edge 520 Plus is that you don't lose any features from the 520. Edge 520 Plus still delivers a host of training capabilities when paired with compatible ANT+ indoor trainers. You can have compatible trainers mimic yesterday's outside ride for example. Pair it with a power meter and Edge 520 Plus offers an additional set of features, like FTP and watts/kg tracking, so you can compare yourself to others, as well as cycling dynamics (with the Vector 2 Powermeter). A built-in FTP test helps you establish your baseline either on the trainer or on the road. Add heart rate and the 520 Plus can derive your VO2 max estimate and post-ride recovery time, which indicates how long before you should attempt another hard effort. The 520 also displays time in each training zone with a graphic.
Connected features (when paired with a smart phone) include automatic uploads, live tracking, send/receive courses, social media sharing and weather. Smart notifications allow you to receive text and phone call notifications while riding, and the the 520 Plus integrates with VIRB Camera remote control. Other upgrades from the 520 include 20 more hours of saved history (to 200 hours), true V02 max analysis with an HRM, and new off-road trail route access via the Trailforks App. All the other great features, including: Live Track, Group Track, ANT+ FE-C trainer control and on screen functions, Weather Alerts, rider-to-rider messaging, built-in incident detection, and full compatibility with Garmin's Varia Bike Radar and Lights.
As Garmin's premium, non-touch screen cycling computer, the Edge 520 Plus will easily hold off the competition, both Garmin's and yours. Garmin's Connect App and other 3rd party apps have better features and integration, meaning you can fully optimize your experience through ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart connectivity; the latter with your smartphone. The best part is the 520 Plus added so much capability with the turn by turn directions, save points and other features, but the price only increased $30 at MSRP. So unless you truly need the features of the Edge 820 or 1030 (including touchscreen, WiFi, FirstBeat metrics, and others), the Edge 520 Plus has become the best training partner, and guide, you can buy. With this 520 Plus Bundle you get the best value overall from the included speed, cadence sensors and HRM strap.
- Bundle with Advanced GPS Bike Computer for Competing and Navigation
- Features advanced navigation, including new rider alerts and the preloaded Garmin Cycle Map with turn-by-turn directions for on and off road courses
- Turn-by-turn navigation and navigation alerts, can also set saved points for TBT directions, or pre-saved locations (you cannot type in an address and get directions in the unit itself)
- Sensors for GPS and GLONASS satellites, barometric altimeter
- Bright, sunlight-readable color display, with backlighting option
- Compatible with third-party ANT+ power meters; Shimano Di2 integration
- On screen notifications, text, phone call, etc; audio and visual alerts
- Strava Live Segment Challenges and Strava Routes, Garmin Connect, etc
- Monitors cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time when used with power and heart rate
- Preloaded Strava Live Segments let you compete second by second with your previous best or another rider’s PR; see real-time results right on your screen
- With the Trailforks app, you can download trails to use offline
- Tracks Functional Threshold Power (FTP) and Cycling Dynamics when used with Vector and other 3rd party ANT+ power meters with comparable capability
- Compatible with ANT+ heart rate monitor, speed, cadence sensors and powermeters- sold separately
- Includes regional base map with ability to download others, capacity to load100 courses and set 200 waypoints/saved points; saves 200 hours of history
- Recording interval: 1-Second, or Smart
- Compatible with Varia line of Cycling Awareness Devices, including rearview radar and smart bike lights, as well as VIRB sport camera remote
- With ANT+ FE-C smart trainer control
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with 15 hour battery life
- Dimensions: 2.9" x 1.9" x 0.8" (7.3 x 4.9 x 2.1cm)
- Display size: 1.4” x 1.9” (35.0 x 47.0 mm); 2.3" diagonal
- Color display resolution: 200 x 265 pixels
- IPX7 Water resistant rating
- Compatible with 3rd party Garmin quarter-turn style mounts
- Included in the box: Edge 520 Plus, Speed sensor, Cadence sensor, Soft Strap Premium Heart Rate Monitor, 1/4 turn mounts (standard and flush out-front), USB cable, Tether cord and Manuals
- Color: Black
- Weight: 2.2 oz (62.5 g) (head unit only)