Ritchey Outback Carbon Break-Away Frameset
Ritchey's Break-Away system is a well-proven design that allows you travel easily with a bike that can deliver legitimate performance, comfort, and ensures you have always the proper bike fit when your cycling adventures take you away from home. The Outback Carbon Break-Away Frameset expands your horizon's further. Conceived and executed as an end-all gravel bike, the Outback Carbon carries the legacy of Ritchey's strong cyclocross history and the success of their Mount Cross monster-cross design. Add-in Ritchey's evolved understanding of road geometry, carbon construction experience, and the sheer practicality of the Break-Away design and you have a go-anywhere, ride-anywhere bike with capabilities nothing else can match.
Applying carbon fiber construction to the Break-Away concept in the true road version, Ritchey demonstrated that the overall lateral stiffness and ride quality of a carbon bike could safely and ideally be executed. The simple downtube and seattube frame coupling system works perfectly, and combined with the carbon lay-up and true Ritchey engineering experience delivers a ride quality that can handle true gravel terrain, pavement, and everything in between. The Outback Carbon's frame and carbon fork can accept a 700x40mm tire (based on a 17mm internal rim profile for most manufacturer's tires), is designed for flat mount disc brake calipers. The fork accepts a 12/100mm thru-axle hub, while the rear features the 12/142mm thru-axle system that has become a widely used standard. Both provided thru-axles require a Hex wrench to fasten, which adds to overall safety and a very clean finished look.
The Break-Away system requires the use of cable splitters for your front and rear derailleurs. Those are included, as are mechanical brake cable splitters. Some riders might prefer to use those with mechanical disc brakes, which are arguably more manageable when traveling. It is possible to use hydraulic brakes as well, with two options. First, the housing can be held on with the supplied plastic clips, then you have a full length of hose to cautiously accommodate as you pack and unpack. Feasible, yes, but adds risk to travel. Our preference would be an aftermarket hydraulic hose and disconnect kit from Jagwire, or something comparable, as most other brake manufacturers don't offer that in a stock set-up. Of course the number one reason the Break-Away frames are chosen is so that the complete bike (with wheels), can be packed into the supplied 8.5"W x 26.5"H x 31"L travel case, which is accepted by most air carriers as standard luggage. Always check with your airline for complete assurance. With a few simple tools, some specific know-how, and a little practice, you can easily travel with your own bike, anywhere in the world. We have sold Break-Away frames and bikes to numerous cyclists who rarely fly, but prefer the compact and covered system that stows much easier than a full size bike in an RV, car, or boat.
The frame details are straightforward. There is a braze-on tab for a front derailleur, and the seattube accepts a 27.2mm diameter seatpost (generally used with 350-410mm length). Cable routing is external. Ritchey provides all the small parts you require for a mechanical drivetrain/brake build. A 41mm WCS Integrated Drop-In Headset is provided for the 1⅛ carbon WCS Outback fork. The bottom bracket is the tried and true 68mm BSC (English) threaded system. As far a general geometry, the Outback Carbon is designed for stability and control, yet remains nimble over the rough stuff. The long and low geometry mean you really need to look at the effective top tube and headtube lengths. There is a slight toptube slope. Our detailed photos truly show the features and details, but if you have any questions, know we are here to answer any questions. Excel Sports has been selling Break-Away's since they were released- literally hundreds of frames and bike builds, so we can answer any question and provide insight that no other dealer can. If you are ready to tackle the horizon, no matter the surface, on your next trip, the Ritchey Outback Carbon Break-Away Frameset will carry you there.
- The ideal gravel/all purpose road bike frameset for cyclists who travel
- Carbon frameset engineered to dampen trail noise while being stiff enough to truly feel the performance aspects
- WCS Carbon Outback straight steerer fork that deflects harshness while providing ample stability
- Carbon frame tubes designed from the ground up with optimal stiffness, ride quality and durability in mind
- Full Break-Away system with cable splitters, locking collars, small parts
- Drop-outs: Rear 12/142mm thru-axle, Fork 12/100mm thru-axle
- Bolt-on style thru-axles provided, replaceable derailleur hanger
- Seatpost required: 27.2 x 350mm or longer depending on seat height
- Removable Braze-on tab for front derailleur
- 1⅛" WCS Integrated 41.8mm drop-in headset provided
- Flat mount disc interfaces on frame and fork, can be adapted to post type
- Accepts 700x40mm tire (based on a 17mm internal rim profile/variation)
- Bottom bracket: 68mm threaded BSC
- Geometry is longish and low, check geo chart carefully for sizing
- Downtube and seattube water bottle bosses
- Includes soft Ritchey Travel Bag 8.5"W x 26.5"H x 31"L, which features frame protectors and other features to safely store your complete bike
- Sizes available: XS, S, M, L, XL
- Color: Matte Carbon/Teal
- Frameset weight: 4.43 lbs