Cervelo R3 Rim Ultegra Di2 R8050 Bicycle 2019
For many pro's and enthusiasts alike rim brake bicycles are still the way to go, eschewing disc brakes. Of course some actually ride steel frames too, but for the most part carbon is the material of choice, with the gearing equally modern, but there is something about a lightweight rim brake frameset that evokes joy and engages us with tradition. The Cervelo R3 Rim Frameset has been a best seller for Excel Sports and Cervelo since it's first generation, and though the R3 has evolved, it is still one of the lighter weight designs, with simply the best ride quality for long days, high mileage, and the pure cycling experience that evokes tradition, and built by Cervelo with a well-spec'ed Ultregra R8050/8000 Di2 groupset, you are getting a special ride in a complete bike package at great value.
The 2019 R3 Rim is carried over the advanced 2018 model, with new colorways. This version is 10% lighter, 4% stiffer at the headtube and bottom bracket junctions, with improved aerodynamics- all without sacrificing the famed compliant R3 ride. A 28mm tire on modern width rims works juts fine, thank you, only enhancing both the the ride feel and aerodynamic principles when used with wider rims. Never mind that we now know a larger tire can reduce rolling resistance while improving stability and control. The R3 has always been a capable race bike, with Classics and Tour stage wins, but the R5 is favored for it's more aggressive posture and stiffness. The R3 is the favorite of enthusiast who ride squeeze in a few weekday rides, but head out for 60-80 mile days on the weekends. A slightly taller stack position with more attainable reach means more cyclists can find an assertive yet comfortable fit.
To further distinguish the R3 from the R5, you need to consider three key points. One is that the the carbon fiber grades are different. Subtly so, but aimed at keeping the R3 price more attainable The second is that the R3 has a road race geometry, but not the more aggressive Pro geometry of the R5. Last, both frames feature the same Squoval.Max tubeset concept, but it varies in that R3 has a traditional round seatpost, and seattube, not the D-back type of the full Squoval.Max R5 design. At the same time, you get the same relative lateral/torsional improvements headtube and at the bottom bracket. You get superior comfort and vibration damping, plus a little more give ifrom the round carbon seatpost, as well as standard stem design. This generation R3 features the lower bottom bracket of the R5, plus a lower standover height, which as a function of the new geometry lowers the center of gravity for improved handling. The tapered Cervelo carbon fork was built like the frame, with enhancements to the lateral base stiffness, tire clearance and aerodynamics. The final product is a R3 frameset with improved acceleration, better handling, less overall drag, more capability, and a sublime ride quality that can be enhanced by the flexibility you have with tire selection.
Cervelo's aero integrated Future Proof cable routing that accommodates mechanical and electronic drivetrains carries over, along with the Reduced Friction Bottom Bracket Guide. The derailleur cables or wires run down into downtube. One of the engineers' tasks with the R3 was to develop it, and the disc brake version, to be a close as possible in fit, function, feel, and frame performance to each other. While the disc brake model features thru-axle drop outs, the standard R3 features traditional road 100mm and 130mm quick release versions. The traditionalists win out here.
Shimano's 11-speed Ultegra R8050/R8000 eTube based Di2 electronic shifting system is precise, consistent, incredibly stable, and offers opportunity for customization and adding secondary shift buttons. The power, speed, and efficiency of the system makes it hard to take for granted even when you are around it a lot. The rim brake 2019 R3 bicycle takes full advantage of the slimmer, more ergonomic Di2 Dual Control lever bodies with increased leverage and efficiency of the brake lever pivot. The Ultegra R8000 dual pivot brake calipers have more linear feel which requires less lever pressure and adds increased modulation. As for the shifting, Di2 is the shifting choice of more pro cyclists than any other. The front derailleur effortlessly moves the chain up and down from any combination- self trimming along the way to eliminate cage rub. The rear standard cage (SS) derailleur was updated to fly through shifts- even with a 11-30 cassette option. You can always opt later for a GS model which can run an 11-34 cassette if you want more range.
This drivetrain is coming equipped with the R8000 52-36 crankset, with it's asymmetrical 4-arm crank spider. Along with the top notch R8000 dual caliper brakeset, the Di2 equipped drivetrain is essentially a full R80500/8000 group, with the 11-30 cassette, and CN-701 chain. The only variation is the Cervelo BBright 24x90 model using Shimano Hollowtech II cranksets with the BBright shell.
As for the kit items, the wheels are a Cervelo/Novatec creation, with a Novatec 35mm carbon rim and hubset, with j-bend steel spokes. For those in the know, Novatec has produced high quality hubsets and wheel builds for OE use for years, often graced with other logos. 700x25mm Continental Grand Prix SL clincher road tires roll fast, with great feel and grip Cervelo supplies their round carbon SP19 seatpost in a 27.2mm x 350mm version, their own AB07 Ultra Light Alloy handlebar, and Ultra Light Alloy stem. A Prologo Zero II STN saddle and Cervelo's bar tape round out the build. Di2 wise, the handlebar end Junction A is used, as well as the seatpost battery. Everything you need for the Di2 system comes with the bike, and Shiman's eTube project website and app will help through any questions or challenges.
- Impressive complete bicycle with impeccable ride quality, precise shifting
- Full carbon R3 frame/fork designed for great feel, forgiveness, performance
- Tapered carbon rim brake fork with FSA IS-2 headset for 1⅛-1½
- Squoval.Max R3 tubeset with traditional round seat tube, seatpost
- FutureProof internal cable management system for any shifting system
- Reduced Friction BB guide for better cable-actuated performance
- BBright 79mm oversized/asymmetric BB shell directs pedal forces to rear hub
- QR carbon dropouts: Fork 100mm, Rear 130mm (w/ replaceable hanger)
- Frame/fork optimized to accommodate 28mm road tires, even on 25mm rims
- R8050/8000 group: Di2 Dual Control levers for cable actuated brake, 52-36 crankset, Di2 FD, SS RD, 11-30 cassette, CN-701 chain, w/Cervelo Connect 24x90mm BB
- Novatec 35 Carbon wheelset with Conti Grand Prix SL 700x25 clincher tires
- Cervelo Alloy AB07 bar, 31.8mm, Cervelo Ultra Light Alloy stem
- Cervelo SP-19 round carbon seatpost, Prologo Zero II STN saddle , Cervelo bar tape
- Includes necessary Di2 related items (battery is in Seattube, Junction A is on bar end)
- Sizes 48 and 51 come with Zero offset post, others with 20mm setback
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 51cm Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54/56cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 10mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 58/61cm Bar width: 44-c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 175mm
- Sizes offered: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm
- Color: Black/White, Orange/Navy