Cervelo R3 Ultegra R8020 Disc Bicycle 2019
For 2019 Cervelo carried the 2nd generation R3 Disc frameset forward in exciting new colorways. The features and engineering changes of the 2018 model have been widely praised and we are pleased to see the 2019 version has some fresh kit items but it otherwise the same. The first generation frame hit most of the marks but Cervelo was already busy developing the SquovalMax tubeset, a new fork, and improving crucial aspects such as fit, handling and overall stability. The 2nd generation R3 Disc frameset now easily carries 28mm tires front and rear. Packaged here as a complete bike, featuring a full Shimano Ultegra R8000/8020 hydraulic disc brake groupset and a DT Swiss wheelset, the 2019 Cervelo R3 Ultegra 8020 Disc Bicycle delivers exceptional value and performance in a road disc brake bike that rides and handles like a dream.
Perhaps that is the best place to begin. The R3 Disc is a road disc brake bicycle. Not an allroad, gravel or endurance bike. The standard R3 after all is a road race style bike. Yes, you get a tapered 1⅛" to 1½" carbon fork. There are 12/100mm front and 12/142mm rear thru-axle dropouts optimized with the RAT twist-lock thru axle system. Flat mount standard caliper mounts fully integrate with the frame and fork, and yes the tire clearance is 28mm on a 25mm wide rim. These are features that actually suit the modern road bike preferences and are effective for improved handling, ride quality, torsional stiffness and overall performance that certainly carries onto the road.
The tapered, full carbon disc fork rides into the matched tapered headtube that, along with the main frame tubes, ensures exceptional torsional stiffness under any load. The always evolving square-oval, or SquovalMax tubeset that features a flatter shape system and improved aerodynamics is a modified version of the R5 but with a few changes, especially with the R3 maintaining a round 27.2mm seatpost. The shapes and carbon lay-up improve the lateral stiffness by 18% over the first generation R3 disc frameset. The geometry has a lower standover height and improved toe clearance, improving overall stability, especially under braking forces from the hub mounted disc rotors. Wider tires at slightly lower pressures also improve handling, improve aerodynamics, and reduce rolling resistance. As a sub 1000 gram frame, the R3 Disc is still a superior climbing weapon- where the 18% stiffness really shines through, yet now is an even more capable descender and overall stable platform in all conditions.
A long standing key to R3 and other Cervelo bike's performance has been the 79mm wide asymmetric BBright bottom bracket design. Cervelo simply changes the carbon lay-up in the fork and frame, through the SquovalMax tubeset to adapt the set-up for disc brake use. Cervelo adds their integrated Reduced Friction Bottom Bracket Guide, and Future Proof internal routing and interchangeable stop system for hydraulic, electronic or mechanical systems. A braze-on front derailleur tab is used, and the rear thru-axle dropout features a replaceable rear derailleur hanger. Cervelo specs their SP-19 27.2mm diameter carbon seatpost on the R3 Disc, which best complements the ride quality and feel of the frameset.
As a complete bike, the R3 Ultegra 8020 Disc takes full advantage of Shimano's mainstay Ultegra R8000 11-speed mechanical drivetrain, which like it's Dura-Ace R9100 sibling features improved lever feel to the redesigned front and rear derailleurs. The rear can now handle an 11-34 cassette and the front offers great frame and tire clearance as chainlines get wider. The R8020 Dual Control levers are built for cable actuated shifting and hydraulic disc brake use. Cervelo specs the complete bike with the R8000 52-36 crankset and 11-30 cassette, so you get great road range. The supplied Cervelo BBright Connect 24-90 bottom bracket directly converts the BBright standard to the 24mm spindle standard used by the Hollowtech II Shimano crankset. The drivetrain is driven by the Ultegra level CN-HG701 11-speed chain. The hydraulic disc brake calipers are the Ultegra R8070 models for the flat mount standard, and Cervelo stays on-key with the new Ultegra SM-RT800 160mm disc rotors.
The equipped kit is solid. The wheelset is a DT Swiss P1800 Spline 32 Center Lock Disc model. Both wheels are 24 hole, laced 2x, and feature DT Aero Comp bladed spokes and Squorx alloy nipples. The 32mm tall rims have an 18mm internal width and 22mm external width. Cervelo equips the wheels with Continental Grand Prix SL clincher tires in the 700x25 size. With good grip, excellent puncture protection, and smooth, long wearing ride, these are a great match for the wheelset. Cervelo supplies the SP-19 Carbon Seatpost with the 25mm offset, and the Ultra Light Alloy Stem. The alloy handlebar is the Cervelo Ultra Light AB07 Aero- which is finished with Cervelo bar tape. A Prologo Zero 2 STN saddle fits and suits many cyclists. Finally Cervelo provides an FSA IS-2 headset for the full carbon R3 Disc Fork with the tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer tube.
The overall performance, in all conditions, of the 2019 R3 Ultegra 8020 Disc Bicycle will be appreciated and desired by many, especially those who have fallen in love with R-Series bikes over the years. Engineered to inspire, and challenge you to be a more complete rider, this R3 Disc takes full advantage of the excellent Ultegra R8000/8020 groupset to deliver not only exceptional performance and ride experience, but also superior value.
- Road disc brake complete bike built for performance, value, in R3 tradition
- Improved design and road race geometry favors responsive, assertive handling and acceleration with tremendous stability and ride quality
- Frame and fork designed specifically for disc brakes, thru-axles
- One-piece rear triangle, slender 1cm thick R3 seatstays, no rim brake bridge
- Flat mount caliper mounts, thru-axles enhance safety, alignment, weight performance
- SquovalMax tubeset design seriously improves lateral stiffness and aerodynamics while maintaining a sub 100 gram frame weight, 12/142 thru-axle dropout
- R3 Carbon Disc Fork, tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer, 12/100 thru-axle dropout and internal brake housing routing
- Tire clearance of frame/fork to 28mm depending on actual tire and rim specifications
- Future Proof internal cable routing and stop set for mechanical or electronic drivetrains, and internal brake housing
- Supplied 12mm RAT-type thru-axles front & rear: 12/100mm front,12/142mm rear
- Full Ultegra R8000 series 11-spd drivetrain with R8020 mechanical/hydraulic: Dual Control levers, 52-36 crank/rings, 11-30 cassette, braze-on front derailleur, rear derailleur, HG701 chain; R8070 flat mount disc calipers, RT800 160mm disc rotors
- Wheelset: DT Swiss P1800 Spline 32 Disc wheelset Center Lock disc
- Tires: Continental Grand Prix SL 700x25mm tires, with tubes
- Kit: Cervelo Ultra Light AB07 Aero alloy bar, Ultra Light Alloy Stem, SP-19 Carbon 27.2mm 25mm offset Seatpost, bar wrap; Prologo Zero 2 STN Saddle; FSA S-2 Tapered Headset
- Stocked in: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58 cm sizes
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 51cm Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 58cm Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 175mm
- Color: Orange/Blue, Black/White