Shimano R400 Brake Lever Set
If you are building a drop bar bike and need a road brake lever set, the Shimano R400 gets the job done. These short pull levers will work with most road brake calipers or road-specific mechanical disc brake calipers. You may get varying performance, as the lever pull ratios are similar, but not the same. The short pull designation differentiates between general road brake lever cable pull, and linear mountain bike V-brake style levers that pull more cable to actuate the braking mechanism.
Made with typical Shimano precision, with aluminum construction, the R400 resemble older style (pre-STI) SLR style levers. The hood and lever shape draw directly on that lineage. Rated by Shimano as Sora/Tiagra level components, the R400 may not be the lightest weight pair at 248 grams, but the travel path of the lever is perfect, and you get a consistent, responsive pull every time. Internal return springs keep the lever quiet over rough roads, and functioning properly for better lever control. The standard road brake cable design is used. The bar clamps are designed for bar diameters from 23.8-24.2mm so sliding the band over bar curves is pretty straightforward. Rubber hoods deliver comfort and non-slip grip over the sculpted hood shape. A set of front and rear Shimano road brake cables and housing, along with ferrules and end crimps.
- Complete set of basic road brake levers, cables and housing
- Short pull design, built for road caliper brakes, road mechanical disc calipers
- Shimano SLR style body shape and lever pull
- Aluminum lever, plastic housing, steel band clampp, rubber hoods
- Internal return springs keep levers functioning properly for better lever control.
- Road brake cables, SLR 5mm housing, ferrules, end crimps included
- Levers are symmetrical, but marked left and right
- Sora/Tiagra level componentry
- Color: Black/Silver
- Weight: 248 grams (levers only)