Cervelo R5 Dura-Ace 9170 Di2 Bicycle 2019
With a clean, simple look, the ruthless efficiency and precision of Dura-Ace Di2, and incredible light weight, the 2019 Cervelo R5 Disc Dura-Ace 9170 Di2 Bicycle is a machine to lust after. This complete bike offering of the R5's Squoval.Max tubeset may be the ideal choice but is just one of several bike models for this special road race bike, albeit a premium option. One of the most important features of the current R5 has been bringing back the geometry to more of a pro-fit starting point, but having the ability to easily run 28mm tires at all times, even on 25mm wide rims. There is a marked increase in lateral stiffness in the frameset over the it's already excellent predecessor, as well as improved aerodynamics and overall ride quality.
Cervelo aficionados will quickly identify the aero, square back seattube and seatpost. This R5 is shipping with the 11-speed R9170 Di2 shifting, hydraulic disc brake groupset a set of carbon DT Swiss PRC 1450 Spline 35 Tubeless Ready wheels so there are no compromises in quality or specification. No other drivetrain dominates the pro peloton like Dura-Ace Di2 and when set-up on this R5 Disc you have a true World Tour level bike.
The massive square-oval design of the downtube makes the most impressive statement about Squoval.Max, but every tube on the R5 has been redeveloped to reduce weight, increase lateral stiffness without compromising vertical compliance, and maximizing aerodynamics. From front to back, the redesign fortifies at junctions for increased torsional stiffness to the tune of 21% at the headtube junction and 13% at the bottom bracket, while increased shape integration delivers 14-gram improvement in aerodynamics. The bottom bracket has been lowered, with a 72mm drop, rising up in a D-shaped flatback seattube that carries to the top. The accompanying D-shaped Aero seatpost features a new rear fastening system, that gets hidden by a fitment that covers the entire junction, improving aerodynamics. The seattube/seatstay cluster exits out the back with a flattened section that adds torsional stiffness before reducing into the thin, vertically compliant stays the R-series bikes are known for.
The lowered bottom bracket, longer reach, lower stack, and shorter headtube of the R5 lengthen and drop the cycling position, in favor of a pro bike fit and weights the bike appropriately. This centers rider weight, but keeps the proper proportion over the front wheel required for aggressive corning and overall stability. The Cervelo carbon fork was built like the frame, with enhancements to the lateral base stiffness, tire clearance and aerodynamics. The end result is a bike that carves mountain descents, rips criterium corners, and rolls true and balanced on the flats. Increased comfort comes not only from the more compliant D-shaped seatpost, but also with larger volume tires. As aerodynamics research has pushed wheel manufacturers to wider rims, larger tires, and frame/fork air flow integration, cyclists have noticed that 25-28mm road tires can be fast, aero, and reduce road noise and impact. This race-ready R5 takes full advantage.
Cervelo's aero integrated Future Proof cable routing that accommodates mechanical and electronic drivetrains carries over, along with the Reduced Friction Bottom Bracket Guide. The derailleur cables or wires run down into headube/downtube junction from a port just behind the headtube. One of the engineers' tasks with the R5 was to develop it, and the disc brake version, to be as close as possible in fit, function, feel, and frame performance.
Proven, precise, lightweight and pleasing, Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 delivers unmatched performance, and with the e-Tube wiring system you have a many options for set-up and use, with complete ability to customize the shifting protocol, update firmware and trouble shoot. The internal battery delivers long use before recharge, which can be easily accomplished via USB cable. You get the R9170 shift/brake levers, Di2 9150 front and rear derailleurs, R9170 flat mount hydraulic disc calipers, RT900 160mm Dura-Ace road disc rotors- all as part of the build
Cervelo opted for a wide-ranging 11-speed drivetrain with the 52-36 R9100 crankset and the 11-30 cassette. The wheels are supplied by DT Swiss; the lightweight carbon PRC 1450 Spline 35 Disc are equipped with Continental GP4000s II 700x25mm clincher tires but come taped for Tubeless use, with valves. Cervelo supplies the square back SP18 carbon seatpost and updated Carbon Stem. The carbon theme continues with the is the Cervelo Carbon AB06 Aero bar- which is finished with Cervelo bar tape. An Italian-made ASTUTE Skyline Lab saddle looks new and fresh, bring a smart design and construction to the saddle world. Finally Cervelo provides an FSA IS-2 headset for the full carbon R5 Disc Fork with the tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer tube. It is important to note that Cervelo features the RAT 12mm thru-axles for both front and rear to speed up wheel changes and ensure a locked-in, reliable closure.
- Road race geometry, hydraulic disc brake, Di2 e-Tube shifting complete bike built for performance, comfort and excellence in the in R5 tradition
- Improved design and lower, more aggressive road race geometry favors responsive, assertive handling
- One-piece rear triangle, slender 1cm flat R5 seatstays, no rim brake bridge
- Fulll SquovalMax tubeset design seriously improves lateral stiffness and aerodynamics with a sub 900 gram frame weight, 12/142 thru-axle dropout
- R5 Carbon Disc Fork, tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer, 12/100 thru-axle dropout and internal brake housing routing
- Tire clearance of frame/fork to 28mm depending on actual tire and rim specifications
- Future Proof internal cable routing and stop set for mechanical or electronic drivetrains, and internal brake housing
- Supplied 12mm RAT-type thru-axles front & rear: 12/100mm front,12/142mm rear
- Full Dura-Ace Di2 electronic drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes, 160mm rotors, Cervelo BBright 24x90 Connect bottom bracket
- Wheelset: DT Swiss PRC 1450 Spline 35 Center Lock Disc (TR with valves)
- Tires: Continental GP 4000s II tires, with tubes
- Kit: Cervelo AB06 Aero carbon bar, Cervelo 31.8mm Carbon Stem, Cervelo R5 SP-18 Zero offset Carbon Seatpost, Cervelo bar wrap; ASTUTE Skyline Lab saddle; FSA IS-2 Tapered 1⅛" to 1½" Headset
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- Color: Black/Graphite