Niner RIP 9 RDO XT Bicycle
The Niner RIP 9 RDO has arrived and our Excel Sports built XT complete bicycle is ready. The evolution young riders have bee dreaming of is here. The RIP 9 RDO trail bike has 439mm chainstays and slacker head tube angles. With a Boost 148mm frame standard, 150mm of rear wheel Niner CVA travel, ISCG 05 tabs, new [R]Evolution geometry that handles both 29" and 27.5" Plus wheels and tires, as well as the full-on RDO carbon treatment, the RIP 9 RDO is fully capable of tearing through the gnarliest trails without sacrificing climbing function, nimble handling or bike control.
Boost standards have been crucial to advances in long travel frame development, and for the RIP 9 RDO the opportunity to add tire clearance (29" to 2.5", 27.5+ to 3"), shorten the chainstays and add frame stiffness from the 12/148mm rear dropout and new bottom bracket junction. Combined with the bump from 125mm to 150mm of rear wheel travel (from the RIP 9 Carbon), the overall combination delivers a much more capable design. By changing the front end to accommodate a longer front-center position with a shorter stem and wider handlebar, and moving to a 29er geometry optimized for a 160mm fork delivered a 67° headtube angle to allow you to carry more speed with less rider input through technical corners, even with larger wheels.
The RDO-level carbon frames from Niner are also no compromise. The premium quality carbon materials and advanced Niner CCS process uses rigid internal molds, which increases the level of compaction and precision in wall thickness. The light, stiff frame features the 12/148mm Boost rear drop out, with a replaceable derailleur hanger and increased lateral stiffness from the bottom bracket to the rear axle, resulting in better power transfer. The wider bottom bracket junction and the tapered headtube also benefit greatly from CCS, creating a frame that exhibits much improved torsional stiffness.
Niner's patented 29er specific suspension design is called CVA, for Constantly Varying Arc travel and has been optimized for this 120mm JET 9 RDO. The lower pivot sits under the bottom bracket, creating an instant center location in front of the BB. A dual linkage system then reacts with counter force to suspension load. This essentially isolates the drivetrain from the suspension, maintaining pedaling efficiency throughout the travel range. Sag setting is crucial, because just past sag, the axle path moves inward, with a constantly varying arc, limiting chain growth throughout the travel range. The active rear suspension is handled by a CVA-specially tuned Fox Factory Float X EVOL shock. The Kashima Coat keeps action smooth and clean, while the manual lever allows the rider to easily select the most effective platform for the conditions. Niner makes all it's own excellent hardware, and the super stiff linkage is made from high pressure molded carbon. Enduro Max Black Oxide sealed bearings handle the action.
Up front we have a Fox Racing Shock 36 Float 160mm travel 29er Boost fork that nicely complements the EVOL. Plenty of set-up flexibility, great leg stiffness from the 34mm legs and Boost spacing. Keeping with the items of travel, the 125mm provided by the RockShox Reverb Stealth Dropper post is perfect the design, with internal routing of the hydraulic hose from the MMX remote.
We are huge fans of the crisp shifting, utter reliability, durabilty, and value of Shimano's XT M8000 group. Featured here in full effect, from the i-Spec set up of the single shifter and hydraulic brakes through the complete drivetrain and 6-bolt rotors, you won't be disappointed, ever. The 175mm 1x 32T Boost crankset spins on the threaded MT800 external bottom bracket. The 11-speed Shimano mountain chain is powered back to the Xt 11-46 cassette through the Shadow Plus style Long Cage cassette. You get a 180mm front brake rotor and 160mm in the rear for the superlative XT M8000 disc brakes.
The drivetrain powers the bike and the brakes control the wheels of the Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow MK3 tubeless wheelset, which can handle 2.35-2.8" tires and all the miles you can throw at the NEO Boost hubset. With the RIP9 RDO we opted for the awesome Schwalbe Hans Dampf SnakeSkin Tubeless Ready tires in the 29x2.35" size. Outiftted with tubes for the build, the rims are taped for tubeless and the tubeless valves are included. Controlling this machine is a 780mm wide Niner Flat Top Handlebar, Supacaz black Grizips grips, 80mm Niner Alloy Stem; all from your perch on the the WTB SL8 Pro Saddle in black, with stout chromoly rails.
The RIP 9 RDO has become a truly capable trail bike that won't lag behind on more XC oriented rides. Except that you'll crush any short travel riders on the descents, but that's okay! We built this bike to the XC end of the RIP 9 RDO's capabilities. If you want wider bars and bigger tires, those are easy changes at any point. You'll love the capabilities and performance of this Excel Sports built Niner RIP 9 RDO XT Bicycle. Most riders on the cusp of sizes opt to go down. Need more help than that, or want to discuss the build? Give us a call at (800)627-6664 and one of our staff of experienced cyclists can talk you through the options and process.
- Redesigned RIP 9 RDO Boost complete XT 29er bike with true trail geometry, excellent build options, great performance
- Equipped with 29" Fox 36 Float 160mm fork, XT M8000 group, ZTR Flow MK3
- RDO CCS carbon construction increases strength, torsional stiffness, reduces weight
- [R]Evolution trail geometry steeper ST angle, slacker HT angle, short chainstays
- 150mm travel CVA suspension, Fox Float X EVOL shock tuned for the RIP 9 RDO
- Compressed carbon linkage plates with Niner's excellent aluminum hardware
- Boost 148mm rear spacing = wider BB, tire clearance, shorter chainstays, stiffness
- 12/148 thru-axle spacing with replaceable hanger, post mount disc interface
- Tire clearance: 29 x 2.5", 27.5+ x 3"
- 73mm Threaded Bottom Bracket, ISCG 05 mount for chainguide use
- Shaped titanium guards protect frame from chain drop
- Single, inside triangle, downtube water bottle mount
- Tapered headtube 1.125 x 1.5" taper, Zero Stack
- Headset: Cane Creek ZS44/28.6, ZS56/40
- Seatpost: Reverb Stealth dropper 30.9mm, 125mm travel, MMX hydraulic remote
- Fox Racing Shox 34mm Float 29er, 1300m travel, Boost 110mm thru-axle spacing
- XT M8000 11-spd group: Boost 175mm 1x 32T Crankset, MT800 Threaded BB, Hydraulic brakes, Right i-Spec II shifter, 11-46 Cassette, CN-HG901 chain, SGS + Rear Derailleur, RT-86 IceTech Rotors (180mm FT, 160mm RR)
- Wheelset: NoTubes ZTR Arch MK3 Boost with NEO thru-axle hubset
- Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf SnakeSkin TR tires 29x2.35, with tubes (tubeless tape used, valves included)
- Cockpit: Niner Flat Top 780mm Grey Bar, Niner Alloy 80mm Stem, Supacaz Grips
- Saddle: WTB SL8 Pro, Black with Chromoly rails
- Sizes: Medium, Large (generally size down if in-between)
- Colors: Orange, Carbon Green