Cervelo S3 Ultegra R8020 Disc Bike 2018
Why an S3 Ultegra R8020 Disc Bicycle in 2018? Now that the UCI and pro cyclists have come to accept the approved presence of disc brakes in the pro peloton, bike companies such as Cervelo will continue to pursue further enhancement and benefit. While the crash safety aspect should never be minimized, the positive safety effects of disc use, such as vastly better braking performance in all weather conditions can't be dismissed. Building a stiffer, lighter, stronger, and more aerodynamic frame and fork with thru-axles and disc brakes also creates significant advantage and increased clearance for larger tire volume options. If you race, ride alone or with small groups of friends, the overall performance level of aero disc road bikes has been proven to exceed rim brake versions. Short course triathletes who favor aero road bikes can also embrace and take advantage the overall benefits of disc frame designs.
The recently updated S3 frame design was not just adapted for disc brakes. Cervelo, as Cervelo does, re-engineered the entire bike to best utilize requirements on the frame and fork structure impacted by disc. Hub-based braking forces change the frame and fork requirements for stiffness, from front to back. By moving the front brake from the fork crown to the lower fork leg, not only did the blade design, change, but so did the crown- which no longer has to support the central bolt of the front caliper brake. Following along, the rear triangle and dropout had be re-designed, but the upper brake bridge isn't necessary, creating new opportunities to add clearance, reduce weight, improve ride quality and overall stiffness.
The new disc fork is much cleaner looking, with the crown area integrating better with the frame, and allowing the fork blades to be wider, with a new aerodynamic foil blade shape that shrouds flat mount disc caliper. A 2 watt reduction from the standard S3 fork may not sound like much, but that fork was already incredibly aero, especially with the Dropped Downtube, which carries over to the disc version, and the flattened trailing edge that carries the air cleanly along the frame and water bottles from the tapered headtube and past the Partial Seattube Cutout. The work done from the headtube through the bottom bracket and rear triangle adds 9% overall torsional stiffness to the S3 Disc over the standard S3, while reducing weight by 40 grams. The engineers even took the time to make adjustments to the left side cable stop of the Future Proof Cable Management system for better placement and interaction with the hydraulic rear brake brake hose.
The slender, slightly flattened seatstays borrowed from the Rca frame project have greatly improved the ride quality of this aero design, and with the elimination of the brake bridge, the stays cleanly integrate into the seattube. The chainstays were built to manage power transfer and braking power of the flat mount rear caliper. The full carbon, 12/142mm thru-axle dropouts greatly improve overall rear triangle stiffness in conjunction with the stouter rear disc hub that the 12mm axle affords. Cervelo uses their proven offset 79mm wide BBright bottom bracket shell standard and oversized left side chainstay to counter the asymmetrical forces of a right side drivetrain. This system is incredibly stiff under the most powerful pedaling loads, efficiently maximizing your output, which what all riders desire, along with flawless mechanical efficiency.
With the release of the 2nd generation R8000 series Ultegra components, Shimano's Dual Control shift levers for cable-actuated shifting and hydraulic disc braking have been upgraded and sculpted more efficiently than the RS685 predecessor. The lever feel and pivot point have changed from that non-series version, and Shimano also designed new flat mount (R8070) calipers and UCI approved, Ultegra series Center Lock disc brake rotors for the R8020 system. The whole assembly feels more integrated, more Shimano, if you will. Cervelo spec'ed the SM-RT800 160mm rotors front and rear on this S3 for greater stopping power and reduced overall temperature than the 140mm size. From the shifters back, the drivetrain is exactly what you expect from Ultegra. R8000 draws from Dura-Ace R9100, with a new shift lever feel, new front derailleur, and an offset to the chainrings that improves clearance and chainline as rear triangles and tires have gotten wider. The rear derailleur offers you more range per cage size, and the more compact Shadow mountain design. For gearing Cervelo is mindful this is an aero road bike and yet you will want range, so the crankset features 52-36T rings and the cassette is an 11-28. The entire braking and drivetrain system is R8000 series, with the exception of the BBB bottom bracket adapter system to run the Ultegra crankset with the BBright shell standard.
The handlebar is an FSA alloy 31.8mm Energy Compact, which is paired with Cervelo's Ultra Light Alloy Stem. Cervelo supplies the standard rail mount SP17 aero carbon seatpost with a Fizik Antares R7 saddle. The Mavic Cosmic Elite CL Disc Wheelset features 30mm profile aero rims that carry Mavic's Yksion Elite 700x25mm clincher tires, which make for a great training wheelset and tire combination.
Is an aero disc road bike right for you? Only you can know that, but if you love all-around performance, quality, and value, the Cervelo S3 Ultegra R8020 Disc Bicycle is the place to start. Lighter, faster, stiffer. We all want that. If you have any questions about the S3 Disc, please give us a call at (800)627-6664 and our expert staff can assist you, and help you get on this great bike.
- Complete aero disc brake road bike with new aero design, comfort features and value
- Disc design creates new opportunities for weight reduction, stiffness, aerodynamics
- Features kit with: Shimano Ultegra R8000 series, FSA, Fizik, and Mavic
- S3 aero disc road frameset featuring 1⅛ to 1⅜ tapered steerer/ disc thru-axle fork
- Dropped Downtube, Partial Seattube Cutout, BBright
- Cervelo's standard road geometry, for speed and balanced handling
- Disc brake frame design stiffer overall than rim brake S3, with drag improvement
- Frameset is 9% stiffer overall than S3, with 2w reduction in drag, 40 grams lighter
- Tire clearance to 25mm, rear tire shielded by seat tube
- Compliance and comfort drastically increased with adoption of Rca flatter seatstays
- Future-Proof fully capable internal cable routing system keeps things clean, working properly with mechanical or electronic drivetrains
- Reduced friction bottom bracket guide for shifting efficiency with cables
- Ultegra R8000/8020 11-spd group featuring the new Ultegra disc brake set-up
- R8020 Hydraulic brake/mechanical dual control levers, R8070 Flat mount disc brake calipers, SM-RT800 160mm Center Lock IceTech rotors, R8000 52-36 crank, 11-28 cassette, braze-on front derailleur, SS rear derailleur, CN700 chain, BBB PF30 BBright adapter to 24mm
- Mavic Cosmic Elite CL Disc Wheelset with 700x25mm Yksion Elite tires, tubes
- FSA Energy Compact bar, FSA IS-2 1⅛ to1⅜ Headset
- Cervelo Aero SP17 Carbon Seatpost, Ultra Light Alloy Stem, Fizik Antares saddle, Cervelo bar wrap
- Full carbon fork and rear dropouts for 12/100mm, rear 12/142 thru-axles
- Available in 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm sizes
- Colors: Red