Garmin Varia RTL515 Radar Tail Light
When Garmin first released Varia™ Radar products several years ago, there was some speculation that despite it's efficacy cyclists wouldn't embrace yet another device. Though it took a little while for folks to catch on, momentum built and the Varia system is viewed as essential for cyclists of many types- commuters, weekend mileage eaters, even racers logging serious miles on the roads. Safety does matter, and Varia Radar products deliver accurate and necessary information during this age, where drivers are more interested in their phones than the road. Rear facing radar with an integrated tail light isn't a fad, but a crucial piece of gear. The fact these ANT+ products communicate with most of Garmin's cycling equipped devices, as well as with Bluetooth compatible smartphones means you can get the information on your head unit or phone, without taking your eyes off the road ahead. The integration of the excellent rear light system means you only need one device out back. The streamlined and efficient Varia™ RTL515 improves on the previous version with new features and the BLE capability.
Garmin wants you to see (as in "radar see's vehicles behind you" and be seen with the Varia RTL515 rearview radar with tail light. It pairs with your Edge® bike computer, other Garmin device, BLE compatible smartphone, or other head units equipped with ANT+ Radar/Light protocols to alert you of vehicles approaching from behind up to 153 yards (140 meters) away. When used with your compatible smartphone, the Varia™ app helps increase your awareness with vibration alerts and more. With daylight visibility up to 1 mile, motorists will be able to see you from a distance. The radar’s compact vertical design allows for device mounting on most road-use bicycles. The new Peloton Mode provides a low-intensity steady light that is kind to your fellow cyclists when riding in a group.
The RTL515 still uses the existing Varia Seatpost Quarter Turn Mount system, which utilizes silicone straps to secure to most shapes and sizes of seatposts. The mount system allows for various angles so you can get the proper rear facing vertical position for the unit. Every Garmin Edge user knows the 1/4 turn system. It is stable, secure, and easy to use with an polymer insert that will not wear the harder material of the RTL515's body. With the RTL515 the improvements come in the BLE capability, along with such features like the Peloton light mode, but this unit is a fair upgrade over the RTL510. The unit still features an efficient and capable USB rechargeable internal battery, with slight but real improvement in day flash mode. Your safety smarts and skills on the bike are not only enhanced by the use of radar, but improved incredibly. You can ride in and around traffic and lonely roads with a greater awareness than possible without it. If you haven't tried radar, we highly recommend the Garmin Varia RTL515 Radar Tail Light because it works, and we'd rather see you come into our showroom or place an order for new bibs or a helmet simply because you wear them out or love cycling fashion. Be safe, "see", and be seen.
- Rearview cycling radar with tail light provides awareness of vehicles approaching from behind up to 153 yards (140 meters) away with 220 degree light coverage
- Pairs seamlessly with your Edge® bike computer and BLE compatible smartphone as well as select Garmin wearables or the Radar Display unit
- Will pair with other mfg's head units they are equipped with ANT+ Radar protocols
- With compatible smartphone, Varia™ radar integrates with third-party apps such as Ride with GPS to overlay your maps with rearview radar alerts
- Daylight visibility up to 1 mile alerts motorists to your presence as soon as possible
- Compact vertical design sets-up with most seatposts via stable Garmin 1/4 turn mount design
- Mount is Varia Seatpost Quarter Turn Mount system, which utilizes silicone straps
- Battery life: 6 hours solid, 8 hours peloton, 6 hours night flash, 16 hours day flash
- Lumen output: 20 solid, 8 peloton, 29 night flash, 65 day flash
- Includes: RTL515, seatpost-style mount, USB cable, documentation
- Garmin RTL515 part number: 010-02376-00
- Unit dimensions: 39.6 x 98.6 x 19.7 mm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 71 grams